Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crane and other Bird Stances

Waterdragon maybe that's like what Sevenstar was talking about?

All -
    What about "phoenix" "eagle" etc., are these stances really very different and do they have special uses, other than those already mentioned?

-FJ

Naw, Sev's talking about stealing your foot. I'm speaking more in terms of a suplex. Both are valid.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

phoenix stance?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sev - I'm not sure if that's real, or if my mind just made that up...LOL.

Ha.

SifuAbel, you and I are on the same page on SL #7!

I admit to having made up my application on my own without anybody telling it to me.

But since my combat application of the KK move matches yours, that means that I am headed in the right direction.

Its done in virtually every karate system that is taught by someone who knows the applications of what he is teaching. It is taugh in the bujinkan..it is referred to as hicho. Depending when it is used, it can serve to block roundhouse kicks to the thigh, attack the ribs or hip etc.. avoid weapons or sweeps.... possibilities are only limited by ones imagination and skill really... It is just common sense to lift one leg when someone sweeps at your feet isn't it? All these transitotory "stances" are intended to teach you control of oyur own body.
    Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Just like Sifu Abel said...
    A golden rooster stance is there to "symbolize" many things, like a knee strike, a simultaneous knee/punch, a hidden kick (just like the false stance is there for one thing: kicking ability, and evade from front leg sweep), blocking a kick, or evading a low kick...many things...don't forget that there are in every martial taolu first level applications (the obvious one), but also 2nd, 3rd etc...levels, some of which can be wrestling, striking, or other things that are included in the spirit of the form, but not perfomed.
    So indeed the one-legged stance has many different applications flowing during the fight, you can even use it as in longfist to get a longer reach by striking far and equilibrating with the raised leg behind.
    It's definitely NOT a stance to wait for someone, or to stop in the middle of a fight...gee, as to think that some people actually do that
    Risk 0 doesn't exist.

Just because you can do a thing does not mean it is the best thing to or even should be done.

Thanks to SA for mentioning the symbolizm in stances and other items. Such things are all though Chinese Martial Arts. There are beginning poses in Zha quan where you are in a High empty or single leg stance, one arm above the head, the other across the chest...and it looks nice...but it is actually symbolic for the student to remember that the legs can kick, there is high and low and balance is key...all in a brief pose before moving to the meat of the routine....

Also, it has been my experience that suckering a person in works only once. You have to make sure it finishes things or puts things totally on the road to finsihing in your favor because few intelligent people get suckered by the same person a second time.

Talking You can't count the cat stance in on this topic.

The one leg stance and the cat stance have very different rootings. The supporting leg is not straight in a cat stance. Also, the front leg may be light in a cat stance but it is still touching the ground for a balance point. You can move quickly out of a cat to something else. As opposed to the hanging horse with the leg all the way up, which you can only bring down or stomp over to a next step. Usually a cat stance is used as a transitional move to a next step.

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    It all the movie's fault. In the movies, the guy will do a bunch of moves in the air and start fighting from some queer position.
    Better watch it .. Serpent and his crew will start calling you a biggot for using hate language there. Even though your term, in that context, means amiss or abnormal.

Don't know how I even came upon this. I was doing a search for tiger hooks.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

We use Crane stances in WhiteDragon Fist about the same way as most people, I guess. blocking a lower centerline kick. Also use the hooks to pull someone into the knee we are bringing up to their belly button, then a short groin kick followed by a step-threw hammer strike to the neck then temple shot with an elbow; very good form to use agains a running front choke hold, and easy to use in real life situations. It doesn't require Herculian strength and is still effective if you can't get it set up quite right in the heat of an attack.

The one legged stance as it is used in Tan Tui extends your punch by about 12 inches beyond what you could hit from any other stance.

I facilitates kicking and protection from low kicks.

It sets up kicks to the inside.

There is also a little physics trick that works well from the one legged stance in a clinch.

besides all that, yes, it increases your ability to find your centre o gravity and to better balance yourself with practice.

cheers
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 06-27-2003 at 06:04 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    The one legged stance as it is used in Tan Tui extends your punch by about 12 inches beyond what you could hit from any other stance.
    That's quite alot! But does it travel a long distance? Seems that it might be easier to deal with if it travels a long distance. I think I've seen this punch on the cover of Dr. Yang's Longfist book--it would mess me up if someone used this, though - I'm used to expecting a limit on the range of the opponent's punch, and knowing that to within a few inches. I can just imagine rocking back to let the opponent's punch miss, and it hitting me anyway!

here's how you can check the extension on teh punch.

stand at an arms length against the wall and rest your fist on teh wall.

now take a side step of 12 inches, lift the leg and punch towards the wall. you have effectively counterlevered your body and your punch extends ****her.

you can use this to attack someone who is retreating (follow with crossover steps or stolen steps to finish up.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

f arther is a measurement of distance. further is a definition of degree. You should've said further. and if you had, then KFO wouldn't have censored you.

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter