Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing Yourself

Testing Yourself

How do you tell that your Wing Chun is good Wing Chun? I have asked on an earlier thread about what makes good wingchun, but what do you do or have you done to show your wingchun is good?
    Do you do sparring? What sort of sparring? Do you loose your wingchun when you do?
    Do you do Chi Sau? Are your hands floppy and loose or relaxed with forward intent and sensitivty?
    Do you watch yourself in the mirror? Are your shoulders relaxed, back rounded? Are your knees in and your stance deep? When you turn and shift does your spine stay staight and connected? how about your hands connected to your feet? Are you precise? Are your elbows and arms always covering that centerline? Do they stay close to your body?
    Do you sink when you make contact? Does this let you absorb the energy of your opponent when it comes to you, take what comes?
    How about SLT? We do it slowly in the Leung sheung Lineage to produce a control over our energy and to develop muscle to help retain our structure when being stressed.
    Going back to my last thread is what you do also what you consider good wingchun?
    Is the wingchun you practice at even a small fraction of the skill that Yip Man had? Do you think you can get there with what you use now and how you train?

SLT slowly is good, and chi sau is important and fun

Actually i'm happy to just keep training and developing my understanding of the skill in chi sau or whatever. No real need to 'prove' myself as long as i can see my skill improving (and also constantly being humbled by Seniors and Sifu of course )

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

How long do you do your SLT Dezhen2001? We do ours for 15-20 minutes.

usually for 30-45mins (ona good day!), the most is an hour+

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

You poor soul....
    Love is the answer.

Why so long? we do ours for like 5 min then do other warm ups.
    Toughen my sinews, harden my bones,
    Make my blood flow freely,
    I will then be young forever
    In touch with the realm of goads.

Dezhen2001- Wow an hour! how deep do you go?

Dragontongue - 5 min is really fast! Have you ever tried to slow it down and really focus on the movements and micro movements?

What portion of it is taking you that long? Are you doing some sections slower than others. For example do you do the first third slow (from fook sau to the side pak) and then the rest as the movements would be done with power and speed. Or do you do the whole if it slow with meditation and breathing?

Very interesting to see how differently others do it.

pvwingchun

" For example do you do the first third slow (from fook sau to the side pak) and then the rest as the movements would be done with power and speed."

If the last part is done with power and speed, wouldn't you be training a diffrent type of power then the type you are trying to develop through the slow fuk soas?

Apart from the obvouis test like Chi sao and rolling hands, we're also tested randomally every once in a while well doing SLT, our sifu will stand if front of u and hold(or push against) your tan sao. If you're relaxed and have good structure and r rooted and what not, it should be like he's not even there, and just keep doing your SLT, if you have bad WC you'll end up using muscle and start pushing against his hand, you're legs will tense and you'll feel your feet slipping like you have no traction. Anyone can relax, the hard part is staying relaxed when you're under pressure, and the only way to do that is to have good structure(straight spine, lower and upper body connected ect...).
    |) /-\ | | |
    | / \ |_| |__

How does he push on the tan sao? Like which part of the arm does he push on?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

The 2 powers you work in SLT are the internal and the external. Part of SLT is for developing internal and other parts are for developing external. So yes you would be working 2 different types of power. (As we do it)

Ditto to the ? by IronFist.

so when you're in a fight, some moves will be your external power, others your internal? that must be confusing.

Besides y would u want any of that weak "external" power, when you could make all your movment have internal power(which we all agree is more powerfull right? just watch a clip of a skinny TST throwing around huge buff guys).
    |) /-\ | | |
    | / \ |_| |__

Not at all confusing.

SLT is about training those powers to work together.

r5a - Other than attribute building (which modern research also shows reaches a plateau after a certain amount anyway (ie., sometimes 500 are no better than 100, or are actually worse), I'm not sure that the time really matters. For some, 5 min. might be too much, for others, 50 min. might be too little. The question, IMHO, is "what is your goal and how does the pace you're doing it at help you achieve that goal?"

BTW- Pushing on the Tan (or any bridge) can be a neat trick but often times people revert to localized muscle to resist, which, IMHO, defeats the purpose. Push on the body (dead center on sternum) if you're worried about root. If someone pushes on you Tan, you might be better of cutting or leaking through them.

Rgds,

RR
    Last edited by reneritchie; 06-21-2002 at 11:52 AM.

Redangel

You need to stop with these types of posts. YOu just don't get it do you?

Anyways for SLT...the first section takes the most time. The rest of the form is done at a medium, relaxed speed. I see many people do the last two section like powerful madmen and they shake all over. I don't agree with that.