Thread: James Lew

James Lew

He has made this book where he shows some stretching excercises and fancy kicks, not very good IMO, but my real question is what style(s) has he trained in?

not sure, but I do know that he's been a stunt man/choreographer/fight consultant for many films.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

James Lew

I think James Lew was a student of Douglas Lim Wong who created White Lotus Fist system in LA. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

If he trained with Douglas Wong, then he would have learned Choy Lay Fut, and the stuff he does in the book definately doesn't look like CLF...
    So he must have trained with someone else also

Arh, forget about him. actually, I wanna know more about this Donny yen-fellow, I saw him on this Discovery program about Kung Fu. They said he learned MA from his mother who introduced Modern wushu to the USA, but his techniques point more to classical CMA than the wushu. So I wondered, what CMA could that be
    anyone?

I read an interview with Donnie Yen once, and he said he started with the modern Wushu under his mother, but he also rebelled as a kid and went off and studied as many other martial arts as he could, such as kickboxing, Taekwondo, Uechi-ryu karate (under Mattson in Boston) and some traditional Chinese systems. His mother sent him to China because supposedly he was getting into trouble, so he trained briefly with the Beijing Wushu team, but felt the Wushu did not completely suit him.

As for James Lew, I read he started off with Kajukenbo and some Korean martial arts, but switched to the White Lotus system created by Doug Wong. Doug Wong is not a Choy Lee Fut stylist, though he may have learned some in his past...perhaps you are mistaking him for Doc-Fai Wong, a totally different person.
    Jim

He did study under Douglas Wong before that he did practice Bak Mei, and Choy Lay Fut

Thanks for the info, Jimbo.
    And yes, I thought it was Doc Fai Wong

(Renegade Monk) Bak Mei also?

Our newest exclusive web article

An Emmy for a Martial Master. READ Life Is Good: Catching Up with James Lew by Corey Danna.

This article is in conjunction with Emmy Award for Martial Arts Legend by Corey Danna in our JAN+FEB 2018 issue.

Thread: SHAOLIN SPECIAL January+February 2018

Thread: Luke Cage
    Thread: James Lew
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Interesting update on James Lew. What about Al Leong? What’s he been up to?

Meme from the JAN+FEB 2018 issue

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

One more meme on James Lew's Emmy from the JAN+FEB 2018

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips