Thread: Best teaching in London? (any style)

Looking for School in London

Hi,

I have a friend who is now over in London and wants to find a good quality school. He preferably wants Pak Hok (White Crane), Choy Li Fut, or some other similar long arm style. He definitely doesn't want to learn Wing Chun so please leave those schools out just wants to stay with the long arm techniques. Please give me some info to pass on tp him thanks gang.

P.S. I don't know which part of London he is in either, thanks.
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

has your mate tried looking in the back of any of the MA mags we have over here? (Combat, MAI etc.).

could also try contacting the British Council for Chinese Martial Arts: http://www.bccma.org.uk

good luck

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Thanks Dez I thought you might reply, and you didn't even get your back up about why he didn't want to do Wing Chun your a true gentleman.
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

Well, theres plenty of things for everyone to do even if i do think Qigong and WC are the best (for me)

London has a pretty big MA community with lots of different styles. Personally i aint heard of any CLF or Pak Hok, but being mainly in Scotland when i'm not at Uni, that's no surprise I do know that there is some Hung Gar and other things like that around (Hung Fut maybe also??), as well as Southern Mantis and Pak Mei, but they're not long. Also there are some Shaolin Monks teaching in London. They have classes on Wushu, Shaolin and Taijiquan so maybe that would be worth checking out as i know they have good skill

hope your friend finds what he's looking for...

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

oic

Question Best teaching in London? (any style)

Hello all,
    I'm beginning to think that I should look for a new school based not on the style but the best teaching available. Ideally it would be an internal art but I despair of finding any decent neijia teaching in London, so am open to all kinds of alternatives. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.
    [crossposted: Taijiquan forum]

I have posted a few schools on the internal forum which I have had experience with
    external Victor Kan who is excellant but Thorough
    there are wong shuen leung schools in St Albans and white crane in Islington loads more depending on what area you are in and how far you want to travel

Hey thanks PBS. No offence, but I have heard comments from skilled people that are a little less than complimentary about Dan Docherty and John Ding. I know a guy who started at Victor Kam's school and endured a couple of frustrating months of apparently very little personal instruction in the class context and then left... What is the white crane in Islington you mention?
    Cheers,
    CQ

CottonQuan the Whitecrane school is in Goswell Road
    the website iswww.kungfu-taichi.com but I think they teach around London if the link doesn't work try a search engine Dan Docherty teaches Tai Chi as a martial art instead of a dance I have not heard of anything bad about John Ding. Kaitan studies with him and would be better placed to comment It would be better to go and see any class first depends what part of London you are in let me know where you are and I'll try and give you some more info
    regards

As a student of Dan Dochertys Tai Chi I can say that it is very good but I feel that Dan is perhapse not the best teacher to train under in his "normal" classes. I find them very dull with very dull people attending. BUT I can whole hartedly recomend severl of Dans students who now teach their own classes (i'll PM you with some names latter). Dan also holds seminars on a regular basis whice are very good and attrack many differant types of people.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Decent Kung Fu in London

If you want good Kung Fu in London, you must check out:
    Paul Whitrod Chow Gar Tong Long
    Joseph Lee Wing Chun
    Yap Leong Siu Lum Kune & Ngor Chor Kune

Try them first, you will not be dissapointed by their level, teaching or systems

Good luck
    Kune Belay Sau

CottonQuan,

If I was in the UK one of these three places is where I would be training hands down. Its not internal chinese cma but you should go check these guys out if you are looking for street survival skills.

http://www.4-site.co.uk/goshin/

http://www.peterconsterdine.com/

Peter Consterdine along with Geoff Thompson are the heads of the British Combat Association. Geoff are Peter are main figure's in realistic based street protection training.

Here is Geoff Thompson's website.

http://geoffthompson.com

There is also a WWII close combat and old war-time jutsu training school called C.O.D.A that I keep hearing about run by a guy named Paul Childs.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Black Jack; 06-22-2002 at 04:35 PM.
    Regards

Neijia in London

Cottonfist,
    There is a Gentleman teaching Bagua, Xingyi and Yang style Taichi in East London. (EastHam)

If you are interested email me at info@laugar.org.uk, and i'll give you his number.
    He'll want to have a good chat first before he invites you down to his classes. But he's a really nice approachable person.

Grogan,
    As for long fist styles.......hmmmmmm!
    How about northern shaolin Mizong fist.
    Master Lui Hun Jai teaches in central London and Wanstead.
    He's about 62 years old, and moves like a teenager! try www.ukjwcki.com

good luck
    Colin................
    "The cat never weeps for the mouse"

http://www.laugar.org.uk