Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my class so wimpy?

Question Why is my class so wimpy?

I've just recently started (I've done like a dozen classes) at a fairly well known east coast hung gar school. It's not bad, but all they seem to teach is forms. It's like going to school and taking one class. All they seem to care about are these ridiculous tournaments, which is probably just them and their parents watching. I'm not a communist. I don't care about modern wushu. I'm a ****ing thug I want to fight!!!
    I'm pretty handy with a staff. so I asked if I could show someone some things and they acted all freaked out. Why do they have the massive collection of weapons?? This was way after class.
    I like the forms, I'm fairly graceful and flexible naturally, and don't mind learning them, but I'm a grown man. It's depressing

I don't start new threads alot, so try and respond thoughtfully if you can. I'm not just trying to start some ****, I'm really like 50/50 thinking of quitting

g'head. quit. I'm serious. do it. now. get away.

No, seriously, if the school isn't offering what you want, it's okay to leave. However, after only a dozen classes, you may not have seen enough of it to know any better. I have a friend that recently left his school because the training changed. it used to be hard, rigorous classes and now they are mainly just entering point tournies, which he hates. He's been with the school for four years, but due to the recent decline in the instruction there, he decided it was time to move on.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Why fight?

What do you look for from fighting?
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

He said he's a thug.

Leave

Yeah, I advise you leave and find another school, if you're bored after that many lessons what about in a year or two?

Just go find exactly what you want, I wouldn't want a school like that either.

Forms are very important, BUT

If your not being taught the application to them, it's all just empty dance.

HOWEVER, if your not doing the empty form right, many won't bother to teach the application either. At 12 lesssons, it's doubtfull you've got the details down yet, unless you have been doing this style fora long time prior.

If you want to fight, you can find some schools that use simpler mechanics and don't require as much muscle memory programiming, like MMA schools. You might be better of there, or some sort of Kick Boxing school.

Many Chinese schools drill only forms for quite a wile before geting inot fighting. I personally dissagree withthis and I think that if you are to drill forms for 40 minutes, you should get to work applications fro 40 minutes as your reward for hard work imedeitely after. But that's me.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

If a person isn't learning what he is paying money to learn, then he SHOULD quit.

This is not a situation in which a sifu is teaching for free and thus he can dictate whatever he wants. This is a mutual cash-and-carry business agreement: the customer pays the money for a certain type of training and then the sifu needs to meet HIS end of the bargain.

The thing is that the real person to discuss this with is the sifu. When I open up my own school, I will actively encourage my students to make suggestions and give me real complaints. As a violin teacher, I never wanted my students to be afraid to ask me hard questions - and they do EVERY LESSON. Often my answer is not to their liking, and thus I've lost many a student. But a sifu has to know when to draw the line between changing everything just to fit the student and when to say "Suck it up".

In MY school, jun_erh, you'd be doing sets and sparring from the first day of classes. All my training in non-kung fu disciplines taught this way: you learned about something, and then you went out and DID IT in a "live" situation right there. And I have some SERIOUS training too.

The reason I will set up my school this way is because as a student of kung fu I felt EXACTLY the same way you felt.

Re: Forms are very important, BUT

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    If your not being taught the application to them, it's all just empty dance.

HOWEVER, if your not doing the empty form right, many won't bother to teach the application either. At 12 lesssons, it's doubtfull you've got the details down yet, unless you have been doing this style fora long time prior.

If you want to fight, you can find some schools that use simpler mechanics and don't require as much muscle memory programiming, like MMA schools. You might be better of there, or some sort of Kick Boxing school.

Many Chinese schools drill only forms for quite a wile before geting inot fighting. I personally dissagree withthis and I think that if you are to drill forms for 40 minutes, you should get to work applications fro 40 minutes as your reward for hard work imedeitely after. But that's me.
    yeah, I agree - with everything except the mechanics thing. My bjj school does drills and mechanics to a higher degree than my longfist school almost. you HAVE to have the mechanics right for a lot of things to work, unless you are strong enough to muscle your opponent into the tech, which is not the ultimate goal. same thing with kickboxing. the mechanics of a thai kick get pretty in depth.
    In the bjj class, you know how many tachniques we learn per class? 1, maybe 2 and we spend the next 40 mins to an hour drilling it. The next hour to and a half is rolling and applying what we've learned.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quit now. You will quit at some point if you are not happy, so why not do it now and not waste your time. I went through a similar experience in my MA life, but i waited a few years, wish i hadnt. Unforunately, you might have a hard time finding a teacher who does not emphasize form and show. To find what you want you might have to go for a more underground organization. Get the hell out. Good luck.
    ________
    FETISH GIRL
    Last edited by mantiskilla; 04-22-2011 at 05:43 AM.

Quit before you lose your edge, go and find a school that suits your needs.

"I'm a ****ing thug I want to fight!!!"

"I'm pretty handy with a staff. so I asked if I could show someone some things and they acted all freaked out."

Quit martial arts since you're already a know it all and are already a bad a$$ and then get counseling.

Really have you shown any skill or redeeming value to the sifu?
    Last edited by rogue; 06-23-2002 at 10:34 AM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

twelve lessons. What's that, like four to six weeks? You what graduate level instruction when you haven't completed the first grade. You showed off with the staff? I'm surprised they didn't ask you to leave. They must need the money. I can't think of a good teacher that I know that would show you anything.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

thanks for the input (except guohen and rogue, you two can go fukc yourselves). I think I'm going to do Sanshao(there's a place around here). It's like I have to do it in order to get any ****her with the hung gar. Maybe I'll come back eventually.

Rogue has it right.

At 12 classes, TOUCHING one of the weapons in most Traditional Chinese Martial Arts Schools is enough to be reprimanded by the Da Su Shuong (Dai Sihing) - Senior student...or worse, the teacher.

Having the attitude that you are only wanitng to fight is enough for many GOOD teachers to write you off until you calm a bit. Traditionally, the teacher was held responsible for the deeds of the student...by law. So, many teachers would not teach much to a student who was willing to show a lack of patience.

So, you have already exhibbited some things that a Traditional teacher would just about write you off for.

If this bothers you, change your attitude.

If it does not, change schools quickly. Why continue down a path that is not what you want and not where the teacher is going. An illogical waste of time.

Right on Guohuen!