Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is my class so wimpy?

LMFAO when he told you guys to go f#! yourselfs. There is something about not beating around the bush that is just so refreshing

BTW, I liked your opening two paragraphs Huang, after that it required reading.
    Regards

Talking

Funny, but not anatomically possible.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

jun erh

go ahead and quit, but ppl are right, after 12 lessons, at our school we still do mabu gongbu, ten basic punches, and maybe about 12 kicks or so. 12 lessons isn't very much at all. And yeah, the fact that u showed off with the staff is pretty ret.arded . I'd probly want to kick your a$$ if i was ur sihing too. and i know my sihings would and have done it to others who show off like that.

But...If you do see that even the senior most students aren't doing fighting, maybe you should ask some of the top students in the school how long they've been practicing, how often, and if they do practice fighting a lot. but don't just quit cuz ur not learning it YET, ask some advanced ppl and find out.

Re: Why is my class so wimpy?

Jun-erh.

Go ahead and quit, there is a good chance that you will become another dojo-hopper. I am serious here.

1.) Agree with everybody else that 12 lessons you can hardly judge the style nor the teaching quality at the school.

2.) Didn't you ask about fighting and sparring and training curriculum BEFORE you joined?

3.) Showing off ANYTHING while being new at the school and not been invited to do so is, IMHO, stupid & disrespectful to your new kwoon & elders.

4.) Many Kwoon train fighting apps and sparring often in seperate classes and maybe even in separate locations.

5.) Not sure about the Kwoon where you train, but it must have a certain rep. And if it does is that they reason why you joined and simply haven't seen anything justifying that rep yet.
    Reps don't come out of the blue and are normally based on truth.

Cheers.

spar a senior student.
    where's my beer?

Well i just want to say that I agree with the idea one cannot learn the juiciest parts of their art in a matter of weeks. My school mentioned application in the beginning, but didn't really teach it hardcore until we had the motions down...

As to being a thug...well, ill probably get flamed here, but if you want to just be a "thug" or fight, perhaps cma isn't the best for you. Just get a piece of toilet and beat someone on the head with it, then you're a thug. MA, imho, comes with an inherant discipline and trust, and being a "thug" isn't the right attitude to have in any kwoon or dojo i've been in.

Lol..trying to show them how to use the weapon eh? They don't like that, especially if your a noob.
    Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance - Yang Jwing Ming

again thanks. I'm not really a thug, I was being facetious (sort of). I was just trying to communicate some of the issues I was having with the class. I like the class and the people in it. I think from their perspective, it's a great class.
    Also, I ASKED Sifu if I could use the staff. He could have have said no and I would have been fine with it. Maybe I should have left that whole thing out cause it wasn't that big of a deal. I had only used a foam 3 sectional before and wanted to try a real one. I got alot of compliments (our of politness probably) afterwards and it wasn't a big deal.

I just thought the whole class would be a little more rough and tumble. As you can see, I'm trying to figure alot of it out now. It's not a source of great anxiety, I'm learning valuable stuff. Okay this is getting really boring to read. I guess I'm just sort of surprised that an "external" style is being taught in such an internal and mellow way. on the other hand, it's not Shaolin temple with a hall for this and instructors for that.

" on the one hand...on the other hand..."

Feel free to say **** and insult me, but try to comment on the bread and butter of what I'm saying rather than a word here or there. I'm not big on details. Thanks. I'll probably do Hung Gar and San Shao so whoopdy doo

Bread and Butter

Didn't mean to come off harsh. Im tired what can I say. well, your saying that your not getting the training you want, so far as you can tell, from your present school.

I know in my present school I was a bit discouraged at first, cause it started out with forms and history lessons, so I asked Sifu if i could sit in on an advanced class. I saw a lot of stuff that interested me so I stuck around. Perhaps you should ask to see an advanced class? Cool to line up another school in case the one you're in doesn't work for you.

Although I must say advanced classes can depress you cause you see how far you've yet to go
    Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance - Yang Jwing Ming

I think I will ask to see an advanced class that's a good idea

Jun - I was/am feeling the same way… and done the same thing, started san shou on the side… after training and fighting san shou I found the kuoshu traing to be very, well, boring and considered quitting… but the people I train with are cool and the few that actually fight are good fighters so i decided to stick it out... i'll probably just train kuoshu once a week and the rest of the time to san shou... plus after training hard most of the week, a "traditional" class is a welcome change of pace... and if you ever decide to compete in forms the intention that you develop training san shou improves your forms quite a bit...

I say quit, if everything you've said is true. Because, even in a school that is traditional and emphasizes forms, whatever, you still should be majorly sore after class and feel like you got some contact in. I'm comparing it to the Praying Mantis school I was in for 6 months - very little sparring, but lots of stancework, punches, 3 star blocking (arm conditioning,) 2 person drills, drills, drills, sometimes heavy calesthenics, etc. I mean, from my impression of Hung Gar, you would have marks all over your arms and barely be able to walk, and you wouldn't be complaining so much about the lack of sparring for begineers. Or is this "tai chi Hung Gar??"

-FJ

Yeah, you should quit. That's alway the mark of the true MA, he who is willing to quit whenever he comes up against adversity. Only by running from your problems can you ever conquer them.

U da man.
    K. Mark Hoover

budokan- I'm not quitting anything you riciculous douche. Go listen to the live cheap trick album for which you are named and leave me be.

everyone else thanks once again for your input. "tai chi hung gar" IS kind of what it is. I mean NO contact. NO sparring. JUST forms. Good/reassuring to see I'm not alone in my questioning of this.

There's probably some huge sign that says "sparring in here" that I walk by every class and everyone wonders why I never am there. Seriously though, there's gotta be something I'm missing...

budokan

You said
    "Yeah, you should quit. That's always the mark of the true MA, he who is willing to quit whenever he comes up against adversity. Only by running from your problems can you ever conquer them."

Reply]
    Maybe it's the LACK of adversity he's worried about!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

I'd just ask the teacher if and when you get to the sparring. Probably should've asked more about how the curriculum is taught before joining though. Some people just aren't suited to being taught in certain ways. Oh well, good luck!