Thread: Tournament training

Tournament training

What kind of extra training advice would you give for someone who might be in a tournament and has a couple months to get ready? I.E., extra jogging, weight lifting, training in MA, training with others, whatever.

What sort of tormament?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

There is all sorts of stuff, sparring and forms to name a few. Im mainly interested in the sparring.
    I have a signature.

is it Point Sparring or Continuous and what type of Contact (light/medium/full) and What Rules( leg Kicks? Sweeps? Clinch?)

San Shou rules, medium contact with pads, continuious.
    I have a signature.

Interval training. Get your heart rate to about 85-90 percent of max and keep it there for about 3 minutes, take a minute break, then do it again.

Sounds suspiciously like beating the crap out of a heavy bag or sparring
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

FIRST OFF... Get a complete copy of the rules with a description of HOW and WHAT is done in the competition and KNOW IT COLD.

Train USING the rules you will compete under.

Then, when you get to the competition, make sure you know which if any of the rules have been changed. when the rules are posted, ignorance of the rules is no excuse.

What the rules are will dictate how you train in many instances.

Which event is it you are going to and what will you be competing in..divisions and such?

Well, if your going to work out, right before the turny, take a rest for a couple days(dont work out anymore about 2-3 days before).

Just train your ass off basicaly...
    IXIJoeKaveyIXI

If Wing Chun was a man, he would be The Man...

Medium contact san shou? you puff.

Ok for san shou you need lots of stamina so try sprinting up a really steep hill. My teacher makes me run 100 meters up a steep hill then hit pads then another 100 meeters then pads again...then jog down and repeat.

Also GWL is correct about the rules. The san shou tornement i did the weekend before last I nearly got disqualified due to a miss understanding about the rules. They didnt have a lei tai just mats. You get 3 points for getting your oponent out of the area. So when ever I got my oponent near the edge of the area I pushed him out (easy for a tai chi guy) but the ref kept telling me I couldnt have any points as I was out as well. After 3 like this I started to aregue with him as I was clearly not out of the area.....turns out what he meant was that to get points in this way my oponent can not be holding on to me when he gose out-it must be a clean push.......pretty big rule to not tell anyone about in the pre fight breafing!!!!

Also If you pushed your oponent out twice you won the round and in the second or third round if you get them out once more you win the fight......Once I found that out the tornement was easy.

Main thing is to train to the rules sparr hard lots for the length of time you will be fighting and get stamina up.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Our latest ezine offering - please share!

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

What?? "Judges can provide valuable insight as to what can be improved if asked" WTF

You know how it is...

So many competitors never talk to the judges. That's a rookie mistake. All the champs know their judges well, their likes and dislikes, and do their best to cater to them. And ultimately, like everyone says, competition is about the learning experience. The opinions of the judges are critical (quite literally) in competition.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    So many competitors never talk to the judges. That's a rookie mistake. All the champs know their judges well, their likes and dislikes, and do their best to cater to them. And ultimately, like everyone says, competition is about the learning experience. The opinions of the judges are critical (quite literally) in competition.
    Too well. So true.