Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hitting someone in the neck, is it deadly ??

You can KO a person with a forearm strike to the side of the neck...on MAXIMUM EXPOSURE...there was an episode where a BB karate guy fought a pimp and KO the be guy with that strike. The pimp dropped like a sack of grapes.
    A

Be very careful....

If caught in a clinch, especially if your opponent underhooks you, you can strike either carotid artery with even your thumb and the resulting force can lead to L.O.C. (loss of consciousness). Carotid massages are performed by ER docs and Cardiologists to effect the heart rhythm. The Carotids carry a large supply of oxygenated blood to the brain. If you produce a significant lesion, bruise or hematoma, the clotted blood may break off and flow to the brain where it will eventually lodge in a vessel creating a CVA (stroke). Another possibilty may be dissection of the artery and death.

Messing with the neck is dangerous, but extremely effective especially if you are grappling. I learned this from my sensei when we both were caught in a clinch and he let loose with a thumb to the neck. He didn't do it hard enough to cause even a bruise, but let me tell you I let go real quick. I've seen guys that didn't believe, sleep real fast when they tested my instructors teachings about the effectiveness of such techs.

Breaking someones nose is a much safer way of getting your point across. You don't really want to kill anyone unless that is their intent towards you.

Another option is to use a spinning elbow to the back of the head, just below the occiput. KO (and temporary blindness) baby! Another is to strike the back of the neck with a good knifehand as the aggressor is passing you. Hit yourself there, softly, and feel the shock that travels down your spine. Messing with the brain stem is very risky, so be careful, and only use techs like this if it's life or death.

These techs aren't hard to perform especially against the uninitiated. It just takes some practice and some body hardening. Peace....

3. Thumbs up

omegapoint,
    good post.
    Those are decent target areas too.
    Iīll just add my points to avoid confusion.
    Knifehand to back of neck-Possible unconciousnes.
    Muscles of back of neck are directly related to brain,attacking these areas may cause opponent to pass out.
    Not to mention neck injury.
    Palm/elbow or related to back of head:
    unconciousnes,loss of memory,death.
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

The vagus nerve.

Hitting that area(2/3 back of the neck)hard enough can create a stunning effect. It sends a signal to the brain as if the guy was doing an heart attack! the brain,to protect the heart, lower the blood pressure and this produce uncounciousness.It is as simple as that!
    Now,how can you turn this "low percentage" thing into a high one?...Train it untill it is hard and precise.Use a chop as it is usually more "penetrative" or a pheonix eye depending on the angle of the shot.
    It is harder to do with gloves on and this is the main reason MMA guys don't believe in it.

old jong,

have you ever worn a pair of MMA gloves? What you describe would work fine in them
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Gloves

I believe that they are not as dispersing as boxing gloves but still they will not allow for the kind of penetrative focus needed for these kind of strikes. You still need a lot more power in your blows to be effective with them on as opposed to a small and hard hitting surface.
    But I think somebody could train to deliver good iron palm type of power with them on.
    Have you ever felt the ton of bricks a trained guy can deliver?...I did!

Nope, but I'm willing to bet it would be fine as well.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Wink

I guess so. Anyway,as in anything else,you need proper opportunity,timing,position and everything else! This ask for very serious training not to be view as some "self-defense" trick or "anti-grappling technique"!...

No no--I meant I bet the iron palm would be fine with MMA Gloves!!!

Smile

Oups!...communication glitch!... Hey Merry,you know you are one of the few in BJJ/grappling who does not say that things like "iron palm" = bogus! I respect you for that.

It's just another name for a technique.
    Mata Leon translates as lion killer.

No sillier than iron palm.

Mata leo= Rear naked choke?....It is colorful and it says it well.

Yup.

What happens is that somebody tells a story about the iron palm of master Chiu Da Faat, and all of a sudden he's punching holes in peoples chest using half power.

That's the kinda crap I don't believe in.

Unhappy I know what you mean

These kinds of exagerations are doing a great deal of damage to the serious kung fu that exist out there. Iron palm makes the hand very heavy on the recieving end if I can say!...the power comes from endless practice and relaxation. This deals more to joint power than muscle like say a bullwhip who is relaxed on his way to the target and gets hard as iron at the end. Nothing magical there.If visualising your hand in a steel glove or chi continuing through the target helps...Why not?...But I believe it is not essential for results. Doing it is enough.

Smile

"the pimp dropped like a sack of grapes"
    GOOD!!!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish