Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever box?

Nutt'nhunny Guest

Anyone ever box?

How did it affect your kung fu?

MonkeySlap Too Guest
    It 'broke my back'. It introduced bobbing asnd weaving skills to my fighting - true this contradicts a lot of CMA power ggeneration ideas - it still proved worthwhile.

Fun sport. Most boxers train harder and smarter than most MA types. It shouldn't be confused with a martial art - although it has evolved in the MMA world into a martial art.

Did any of that make sense?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Mr. Nemo Guest
    I boxed the summer before I went to college. I can't say how it affected my kung fu, because I hadn't started kung fu yet.

I don't understand how bobbing and weaving contradicts kung fu power issuing? Some people bend too far forward at the waist when they weave, but you're actually taught not to do that (though people get away with it - Igor Vovchanchin).

The way I see it, there are "basic" skills and "style specific" skills. Basic skills are things like being used to having punches thrown at you, keeping your hands up, moving immediately after a failed technique (boxing-style basic skills) or sprawling instinctively, keeping your legs under you whenever possible, relaxing when someone is trying to throw you or take you down (wrestling-style basic skills).

Boxing won't really help your kung fu (which I consider a "style specific" set of skills) but it will help your fighting basics.

Plus, boxing's lots of fun.

straight blast Guest

Boxing GOOD

I study Wing Chun but used to study Muay Thai, and I did a bit of boxing on the side as well. To be honest, boxing is EXCELLENT. It teaches range, power, body mechanics, and most importantly how to take a punch. I trained several years in different MA's and never got hit. On my first night at boxing I discovered just how unpleasant a good hook to the jaw is. I soon lost the "you'll be too good to be hit" mentality.
    In a fight chances are you'll get hit. If you've never taken one, haven't felt the sick sensation in your gut & pushed through it, then you are sadly unprepared for the street. Boxing is really good for learning the basic realities of striking, but I had to give it away after a while to concentrate on Wing Chun. My advice-do six months of boxing & see how it changes your attitudes to fighting

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

fiercest tiger Guest

i boxed and kickboxed

it was good, it teaches speed and timing like martial arts, but boxing i think is a basic martial art, only hand though!

fitness is the key in the ring

come & visit us!
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
    yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Martial Joe Guest
    I moved from boxing to wing chun...

IXIJoe KaveyIXI
    I am Sharky's main man...

DrunkenMonkey Guest
    Boxing is a Martial Art by definition, no matter how simple or crude.

It teaches you how to take a hit. Right now in your training when you get punched in the face, you probably are phased and stand back for a bit and shake your head. In Boxing when you get hit with 10 ounch gloves the only reason why your head bobs is because of the impact.

Its great, better be ready for some hard-core conditioning even if you're just doing for fun.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Boxing teaches you how to get hit, yeah, but that's not all it teaches you.

Not that that's what's being said here, it just seems thats what the posts are concentrating on.

The most valuable thing I think I learned from boxing is the constant movement (of both head and body/feet) and the whole idea of "stick and move." It'll also help with your ability to spot openings in your opponents' defense.

Grappling-Insanity Guest
    Boxing is very good, very very good :p .

kwokfist Guest
    also following through, with me at least. In my regular MA training before I got into Boxing, I always had a habit of block/counter, block/counter, evade, punch, evade punch etc. Now I'm doing Block/counter/attack, attack, attack as much as I can. Follow through, have no mercy in full contact unless you're fighting an under-belt and as long as you don't do any damage that will take more than 2 weeks to heal. (muscle punching, bruised jaw, loose tooth etc.)

Tainan Mantis Guest

And headgear

I boxed. The biggest lesson I learned is that the fight doesn't stop just because you land a successful strike.

For you other folks who have boxed I have a question.
    Did you wear head gear?

We didn't, but I think that you should as the constant getting hit in the head feels like it is messing up the brain.

fiercest tiger Guest

HEAD GEAR

i didnt wear head gear, but i heard that head gear causes more damamge because it cushions the external blow but pentrates to the brain! anyone with information like this?

come & visit us!
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
    yaukungmun@hotmail.com

popsider Guest

Head Gear

I think the argument is that brain damage is caused by the head being snapped backwards by a punch, headgear - and gloves - does not really prevent this. What they do is prevent the external tissues and bone getting damaged. There is even an argument that headgear makes the head a bigger target and so more liable to get hit.

I know that ex-boxer Barry McGuigan argues bare knuckle boxing would reduce the risk of long term brain injury substantially - but boxers faces and hands would be so badly damaged it is a non-starter.

Tips would be stay hydrated, dehydration means the brain has more room to rattle about in the skull (yes I think that is the correct medical terminology). The other one would be try not to get hit in the head too often! Studies have shown that professional soccer players can also suffer brain damage from heading the ball - we are talking about the onset of serious dementia in old age - not just a bit of forgetfullness - so consider it carefully before you decide to box (or play soccer I suppose).

popsider Guest
    Oh and I thought I'd add - I don't think there is much of an argument for people to add boxing to their kung fu IF their kung fu has realistic training.

In other words I fully except boxing is great for getting you used to getting hit, hitting, looking for openings etc - BUT if your aim is to be good at kung fu you can do all these things but still be applying kung fu rather than learning to box.
    There is an argument for full contact sparring and fighting but that does not have to mean boxing - although boxing may be the only place to get it in your neighbourhood.

I fully accept that many kung fu (and jiu jitsu, etc etc) clubs do not do this - but then again not everyone wants to take their practice to that level - people have different goals in practicing martial arts.

dedalus Guest
    I'd be more worried about streetfighting with a good boxer than almost any other "stylist" I can think of...