Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone ever box?

shaolinboxer Guest

Boxing is neither simple nor crude

It is simply an art of striking with the fist and defending the upper body.

Boxers have many different styles of striking, evading, timing, etc.

Learning to hit with the fist from any angle and to take or evade hard shots improved my martial arts significantly. Training with the heavy bag, speed bag, double string bag, jump rope...all very useful.

Also, when you have no choice but to punch and you are absorbing shots to the head and body and arms, you can become extremely exhuasted if you don't breathe and relax properly.

IMHO, all martial artists should study boxing at one time or another.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
    - Cat

Water Dragon Guest
    Boxing is good stuff, real good stuff. The only observation I would make is don't fight a boxer under boxing rules and try to gauge your skill level from that. There's a lot of stuff that can be done from a clinch that is illegal in boxing.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Man, lots of people here didn't wear headgear. Were you all pros or something? ****.

Everything I've ever heard on the subject says that headgear will help prevent brain damage. One problem with it is that it may make you more willing to get hit (thinking its not so bad cause you have the gear on). And yes, the gear does make you head a bigger target (making you move it more, which is a good thing).

As for the "headgear causes the blow to go straight into the brain" thing, I've never heard anything like that. Who told you that? If that's true, thousands of amateur boxing clubs and coaches all across the country are doing things very wrong.

The other thing is, gear or not, make sure you learn defense pretty cold before you start sparring live.

Shaolindynasty Guest
    Actually I prefer the feeling of getting hit with a bare fist to getting hit with gloves and headgear. Getting punched with gloves and stuff gives me a headache and makes me feel sick but bare hands just sting and cause a little swelling. The less protection the better I can move, defend and attack(not to mention see). Maybe I am stupid(I prefer unique)but anyway getting hit with gloves has a completely different feel than getting hit with bare hands.

New classes New online Catalog
    www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net

MIKSANSOO Guest
    boxing has many great lessons that can help your fighting. the conditioning is great, sparring and getting pounded on is good because if you can't go no where but down if can't handle it. helps with your stiking speed (hands of course), timing and the list goes on for a while.

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
    Jimmy H. Woo

Kung Lek Guest
    yep and no, it didn't "affect" my Kung Fu. :D

However, my Kung fu certainly affected my boxing ;)

peace

Kung Lek

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest
    we focus on boxing punches at my school for a good while when you first start out. my teacher is very traditional but at the same time won't ignore such powerful strikes.

we even had a seperate boxing class for a little while before i started going. i guess not enough people showed up and it was just one of those things that fade away.

where's my beer?

dedalus Guest
    It's interesting how boxing has evolved this gloves and headgear thing... you might think these items are designed to keep you safe, but quite the opposite is true. Epidemiologic studies have shown a much hgher incidence of degenerative brain injury in boxers who use padding compared to their bare-knuckle buddies. Apparently you're better of having your face and hands split open than absorbing the shock of a gloved punch over and over and over...

The truth about boxing gloves is that they make fights last *longer*. That might be desirable if you're a promoter or need to do some contact training, but don't kid yourself that its safe.

That said, I think boxing is great. Too bad that policy won't come to meet the science.

Mr. Nemo Guest
    "Epidemiologic studies have shown a much hgher incidence of degenerative brain injury in boxers who use padding compared to their bare-knuckle buddies."

What studies are these?

I agree that gloves make fights go longer, and make people more eager to punch and less worried about breaking hands. However, I've never seen anything indicating that headgear causes brain damage.

dedalus Guest
    I'll dig out the references for you over the next few days :)

SevenStar Guest
    "As for the "headgear causes the blow to go straight into the brain" thing, I've never heard anything like that. Who told you that? If that's true, thousands of amateur boxing clubs and coaches all across the country are doing things very wrong."

I had a thread a few months back about the damage that can be done by gloves. If I remember right, some people had some pretty good info there. Do a search for it.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
    like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

SevenStar Guest
    here it is:

http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/Open...1&m=7741965842

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
    like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Thanks for the archived thread. (See, admins, archived threads ARE useful if you're reading this).

Most people on there were talking about the brain damage problem that comes from wearing gloves. No argument there - gloves make people more willing to get hit, more willing to hit, and the hits to do more of a certain kind of damage.

I remember reading a Cus D'Amato quote. He said that training with headgear just makes people willing to get hit. Train without, and they'll be more conscious of defense, and clinch/move more and get hit less.

Just bring the right attitude - "getting hit is very bad" - and wearing headgear should protect you, not hurt you. At least, that's my opinion.

scotty1 Guest

Do it

My dad used to box, so I asked him if he could teach me to help my Kung Fu.We've only done half an hour and I now have a better jab (power,speed) than I had before. The way I see it is, in class, my Sifu has to teach the whole range of the art. By learning to box, it improves your punching SPECIFICALLY, like if you did Taekwondo it would improve your footwork specifically. All it comes down to is, TKD and boxing rely on the feet and hands respectively, so therefore they improve your skills in those areas by specific training, which can then be absorbed/modified into your Kung Fu. But hey, who's got the time?

nightair Guest
    it helped me be able to street use my kung fu.It teaches good timing and god stamina and mental stuff