Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MA's about discipline??? I think otherwise...

MA's about discipline??? I think otherwise...

**Discussion**

Today, everyone preaches that MA's are all about learning discipline and respect for others... blah blah blah.

People these days get so heated when someone is learning Martial Arts purely to FIGHT. But after all isn't Martial Arts, FIGHTING arts?

Street kids in HK all learn kung fu for the purpose of FIGHTING on the streets.

MA can teach you discipline and such but people tend to think that when a person learns a Martial Art for fighting, its total bull and they shouldn't even step into a kwoon or dojo. What kind of CRAP is that?

It is the best kind of crap.

"But after all isn't Martial Arts, FIGHTING arts?" --LittleChina

Nope. And if you think that's the core of MA then maybe you don't need to be in them any longer...
    K. Mark Hoover

LittleChina - your perception is skewed just a tad, but I see hwere you are coming from. MA is in case you have to fight. You definitely need and so either have or gain, discipline when you study them. Fighting takes discipline, as does trianing.

To be a serious martial artist you need to have some serious discipline. Whether or not that translates into the rest of your life is how many will judge you that know you as a MA.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

people are so pig headed.

I thought we could get a nice discussions going but all you have to say is "your wrong."

Yeah Martial Arts can mean learning discipline and philosophy and crap but then how do i explain Muay Thai, BJJ and other STRICTLY FIGHTING ARTS.

I don't make any excuses, I am beginning to learn MA's to learn how to fight, simple as that.

And No I don't start fights and I am not a trouble maker although I do get into a fight occassionally.

I understand you need discipline to learn a MA but do you learn a MA to learn NOT TO FIGHT?

That seems to be the trend today, I don't know if its becuz people are afraid of lawsuits or what.

"We promote non-violence" - heard that from a TKD guy, really? I see a whole lot of loser kids come out of there thinking they can take on the world.

I can understand that once u get good in a MA, you can appreciate the fact that you CAN hurt someone which does make you think twice about fighting someone.

MAs can be anything you want it to be but it just ticks me off that people are like "MAs is totally not about fighting" - What are *F*ing crazy, of course it is!!!!!!!!!

LC - those are all martial arts and they all recquire discipline, whether you like to fight or not.

LittleChina,

I box and do BJJ. I used to wrestle. A philosophical component is largely lacking.

But it takes the same grit and determination to learn any of the "strictly fighting arts," as it does anything else.

If that isn't the definition of discipline, I don't know what is.

And I agree that if you are taking MA and can't fight, you've got a serious problem.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

"Street kids in HK all learn kung fu for the purpose of FIGHTING on the streets."

Are you a HK street kid? Is that the life you're after?

I love it when people talk about fighting in the abstract. From some of the street fights I've had I have an eye that bothers me, a place on my hand where I can still feel where I caught a bit of knife even after 20 years, and I won those fights! Maybe if I had more discipline than fighting spirit I could have avoided those situations all together. But back to the subject.

Fighting without discipline is a losers game. You can learn every move in BJJ but without the discipline to keep your head while being choked you're lost. You can learn every lethal technique in your system, but without the discipline to keep your head when you've taken some real damage you're lost.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Listen to Rogue....
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Kids in hong kong do kung fu for the necessity of it. there are those who do it for other reasons though.
    Toughen my sinews, harden my bones,
    Make my blood flow freely,
    I will then be young forever
    In touch with the realm of goads.

People seem to not understand what the hell im trying to say.

Discipline LEARNING martial arts and applying techniques is DIFFERENT than discipline in life as in "not getting into fights."

Yeah HK street kids, my dad, uncles cousins all lived that life, yeah I don't live in HK I live in NYC and if ur around the wrong people its the same sh!t (don't say "make new friends" because its not that easy). People can preach how NY isn't like that but how the hell would you really know? unless you've grown up with these types of people and around all this crap, you don't know.

No offense to anyone but MA's have been watered down by "western thinking" to a point where it is so wrong to get into a fight. WDF ARE U LEARNING THIS CRAP FOR. If you want enlightenment go to church. If you want exercise, go jogging. Why would you want to learn MARTIAL arts????

Kids in hong kong do kung fu for the necessity of it. there are those who do it for o

Yeah thats true and I totally agree but everyone seems to get this idea that a person that is only learning MA's to purely learn how to fight does not "deserve" to learn MA's. Give me a break.

I'm not coming down on you LC but why do you want to learn how to fight and what kind of fighting are you talking about, sport, self defense, bodyguarding, LEO/control or assault?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.