Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shaolin Temple

Braden

You said it man!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

How is idolizing the Shaolin monks a bad thing?
    I'm not going to give my personal view on the monks, as they're pretty... mixed and would probably just start an arguement
    But I will leave you with this quote from Jet Li about idolization which explains how I feel about the subject perfectly(from http://www.jetli.com) :

"I've never had an idol, and I don't really encourage that kind of behavior. When you idolize somebody, you only see the successful face and fail to see the bad side. It's an imbalanced perspective. There's nothing wrong with looking to successful people to see what it takes, and then using that knowledge to plan your own path. But I don't believe in encouraging people to model their lives after somebody else's, as in: "I want to become him." No matter how faithfully you imitate somebody else, you will never be able to duplicate their life. It's impossible. Out of the billions of people living on the planet, no two lives are exactly the same.

You can, however, become yourself. You can always grow into yourself. As long as you follow somebody else, you will never be able to transcend their achievements. To reach your personal peak, you must have your own style. That's the most basic element of success."

Hmmm, idolizing something or someone, the mind wishes to be like something, an idea, even though what the mind wishes to become seems real, it is not.It is the idea of something seen through the likes, dislikes, wants, prejudices, expectations, colorings, etc. of someone.Therefore it is really just the ideal of oneself, a desire of what one wants to become.The mind sees it as seperate and real, but its really just the ideal of what one wishes to be.The word monk or whatever it is you "idolize" is just a shell, a name to give to what you want to be.The name or shell one thinks he wants to become is not really that at all.Your definition and opinion of what a shaolin monk is, is different from mine, is different from his, etc. All you are striving to become is what you perceive a shaolin monk to be not what a shaolin monk really is (feel free to replace shaolin monk with whatever you want,im just using it as an example) so you see how it is just an embodiment of what you want to be, which you relate to being a shaolin monk.If you are gonna be a monk be a monk to dedicate your time to enlightenment and kung fu, not to just call yourself a monk. by the way I am not saying that you idolize shaolin monks I am just using them as an example to show the problem with idolization.i hope I have come across clearly

I said I DON'T idolize the monks. I said that I respect them greatly and that I think they are heroes to every serious Kung Fu student. So why the hell have I got about 6 posts saying why it's wrong for me to idolize them?
    I believe they have the right attitude towards life. I want to live my life the way they do. So please, don't post anymore arguementative words about idolization.

Peter-

Go and enjoy it! That's all you need to do. I'm sure you will like it a lot.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks. That means a lot to me.
    Only you are you.

I was just answearing your **** question whcih was:
    How is idolizing the Shaolin monks a bad thing?
    No need to get all defensive. I didn't argue one bit about your studying there. My only point is that not all monks live how you think they do, so it's a bad idea to model your life after them. Live how you think they should and not how they might actually behave. Or something like that.
    Last edited by Brad; 06-30-2002 at 11:16 AM.

Fair enough. It didn't sound like that in the last post. I understand what you're getting at.
    I apologise for getting so defensive. It's just some people, like my mother, are really trying to discourage me from going. She thinks I haven't thought things through enough.She had no idea that i've been thinking of this all my life. I've never really told anyone about it until recently. I think it's too much of a shock for her to see her "little boy" growing up and taking responsibility for my own actions.
    Sorry again.

Braden Guest
    Mr. Giles,

For the sake of discussion, what is it about their attitude that you are inspired by, and how is it specifically you would like to live?

They live in a world with no distractions from their training or beliefs.
    I don't like using the word discipline. I prefer motivation. They are motivated to get up everyday (except sunday) to train with all of their heart and they never quit. I know not all monks are like this, but in general.
    To me, Shaolin is the only place where I think i'll feel at home and at peace. That's the way I want to live my life. If I have to give up things like television and sex, then so be it. I'll do whatever it takes to not only become a better martial artist but to become a better person.
    I know i'm strong in my beliefs, but if you aren't are they really beliefs?

Braden Guest
    I think people's concern is mostly that you've got unrealistic expectations.

For example, you state they live their lives without distraction from training, yet they tour the world putting on broadway shows and doing TV appearances.

You say you'll only be happy living in Shaolin, but if you go, you'll neither live nor train at the temple.

I know people seem like they're being critical, but I think they have your best interests at heart. If you're interested in a monastic lifestyle, perhaps you should look into regular monasteries.

I know everyone has best interests at heart. And being critical can be a good thing. But I will be able to live and train at the Shaolin Temple if everything works out. I'm in the process of trying to become one of Shi Yongxin's disciples.
    The monks appear on television to spread their knowledge of Kung Fu to the rest of the world and to raise money for the full restoration of their temple.
    Monastaries would be of no use to to me as i'm not religious. I do believe there is someone up there and i believe what we do in life is carried forth in the after life. I guess you could call me reigious in a way but I prefer spiritual. I'm not trying to join the Shaolin Temple, although I would if i'm allowed to, I just want to live and train with them. Mayb not forever but at least for a few years.
    Oh, and i know what you mean about not training at the actual temple as the government made that illegal. However, the Shaolin monks still train on the mountain and in private courtyards etc.
    Last edited by Peter Giles; 06-30-2002 at 03:57 PM.

Braden Guest
    The answer to the first question on this page might be of interest

http://shaolin-wahnam.tripod.com/ans...a/mar02-2.html

Here's an interesting site:

http://www.russbo.com/shaolin_temple_news.htm

Fair enough. It didn't sound like that in the last post. I understand what you're getting at.
    I apologise for getting so defensive. It's just some people, like my mother, are really trying to discourage me from going. She thinks I haven't thought things through enough.She had no idea that i've been thinking of this all my life. I've never really told anyone about it until recently. I think it's too much of a shock for her to see her "little boy" growing up and taking responsibility for my own actions.
    Sorry again.
    No problem. I'm looking to live overseas for a time and train too, but explaining to my parent is going to be difficult, lol. Mom still doesn't think I'm serious. I have a question... are you taking martial arts classes right now? Also, just a sugestion on dealing with your mother, You could try spending a a few weeks training there just so you have a good idea of what it's like then make a decision. Or at least tell her that Plus I think taking a smaller trip before going fo an extended stay would be less of a culture shock. A small consolation to make a mother feel better
    When do you plan on going?

I'm planning on going as soon as i have enough money to get there. lol.
    The monks give you a taste of the life they lead by giving you a three month trial period. You train, eat, sleep etc the exact way they do just to see if you are really ready for that sort of life.
    i'm not going to train to be a disciple right away because that means you have to dedicate your life to that masters particular style. I'm a person who would rather have a litle know;edge of all styles than excell at one style.
    I'm a well rounded martial artist.
    I don't train at a school or club anymore because in England they are insulting to a real Martial artist. The health laws are unbelievably strict. You can't spar full contact, you can't attack to the inside of the legs, the back or the head (even in competition). Every single school i've seen (and i'm not exaggerating here) does NO form of conditionig, because they are not allowed to.
    Itrain on my own now. I have a friend come round twice a week for a little full contact sparring and to train with weapons with a person. I do an awful lot of conditiooning more than anything, which I know I shouldn't but when you're training on you own 5 days a week you get really unfocused when it comes to forms and patterens etc.
    I really must sleep now. Over here it's 12:45 am.
    I'll check out your reply tomorrow morning ok bud?
    Last edited by Peter Giles; 06-30-2002 at 04:49 PM.