Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jason de lucia

Jason de lucia

I went to Jason de lucia's website (jason de lucia is a pro fighter who was in the UFC and says his style in 5 animals kungfu) and it says that the 5 animals in the 5 animals of kungfu are praying mantis, tiger, dragon, snake and crane. I always thought they were leopard. tiger, dragon, snake and crane. Im not an expert by anymeans but what are the 5 animals in 5 animals kungfu ? And does jason de lucia actually do 5 animals kungfu?

asd

oh his website is jasondelucia.com

i think You are right what Is the Website?

yes You are Right it is Dragon Tiger Snake Leopard Crane wWTF??????? what The Hell is Wrong with this Guy Mantis is its Own style?!!!!!!!!!!

PS Also he Calls his School a "DOJO"? what Is Up with That?
    Last edited by Unstoppable; 06-25-2002 at 04:36 PM.

Hey you're right. I have seen some 5 animal styles exchange one for the monkey but never a mantis. Me thinks it was all planned by the groundfighters to give kung fu a bad rap.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

E-mail the guy and start up a conversation if you are curious to some questions. I think the guy had some heart to step up into that type of an enviroment and test himself out.
    Regards

I always thought it was woodchuck, opposum, coon, hound and whatever that thing was we just runned over.

Then my school is in a trailer park.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Question What the heck?? Check out his photos

http://www.jasondelucia.com/kungfu.htm

Black Jack-

I'm sure that he is an accomplished fighter and martial artist but I wonder his kung fu's authenticity. No questions needed, the photos say it all.

Ok time to dissect thi:s

His mantis looks like no mantis I've seen. It ooks like a karatesized mantis with one hook (alhtough in fighting you can fight in whatever way but he's just posing). The classic mantis catches the cicada posture has two hooks. His left arm is too low and his elbow is flaring out.

For dragon he has a very very high kick. The dragon style was made for seizing and locking and from what I understand it is a southern style. Southern styles do not kick much and never that high. Even though I have heard that there are a northern version of the 5 animals (since the original shaolin kungfu came form the norht) it does not look like a Chinese type of kick. It looks more like something you would find in karate or tae kwon do.

For tiger...the pictures are enough.

His crane looks nothing like crane. Wether it be tibetan or southern white crane.

For the snake he's holding the iron bridge hand that you usually see in hung gar and there's no snake fist. What is that all about.
    While I see him kneeing someone in the fighting pics I get the idea that he actually tried to fight like the one legged crane pose in the karate kid.

What hapened to leopard?

Taken from his website:
    As a boy Jason was legally adopted by his Kung fu teacher. He studied many years, and was tested in the tradition of the time. The sash test.
    The sash test was a ritual combat endeavor in which the winner was signified by the removal of the sash of his opponent by incapacitation, stealth, or other. He failed once and past the second time.
    In 1992 in response to his direct challenge. Jason went to Los Angeles to challenge Steven Segeal to a fight in his Dojo. (Harua Matsuoka). He proved reluctant, but there were other takers. One, Royce Gracie, and his dynasty took him up on a challenge, which begat a rematch, which begat an invitation to fight in Japan.
    It was his career in Japan which cultivated him to a higher dimension. It forced Jason to first excel at the popular techniques of the time, and began the rebirth of his core techniques, namely, five animal kung fu.
    Hmm sashes were traditionaly made to hold up your pants and came in different colors just like regular clothes. It also says he went to fight Steven Seagal (aikido stylist?)

What is my oppinion you say?

1)John Delucia does not know the five animals nor does he know any kung fu as I did not see any evidence of it on his website.

2)Grapplers and mma can't use John as an excuse for me anymore becuase I ain't buying it.

3) Rolls/Ralek is a liar with a capital LIAR !

4) John probably learned formfrom a shaolin-do or under another bad kempo stylist trying to pass for a kung fu master.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 06-25-2002 at 08:57 PM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

His Mantis dosen't look like seven star. That's all I can say.
    "We are not the first/
    who, with best meaning/
    have incurr'd the worst"

King Lear

Northern,

I agree with you on the background, that is some pretty circumspect material, but like you said it does not detract from his abilities, if he has any as I don't know-I am just speaking outloud, names are just names in the end, call it cardio-zen-tao-gong fu for all I care.

As a traditional cma player I can see of course how that might irk you a little bit. It's not a fair representation of the community or would it be fair to say it is from a mckwoon percentage.

All the good guys seem to be more underground.
    Regards

Very true. I have met some very humble ground fighters. I just mean the rude ignorant ones though.

sada

Originally posted by Black Jack
    E-mail the guy and start up a conversation if you are curious to some questions. I think the guy had some heart to step up into that type of an enviroment and test himself out.
    I think i will email him to ask him about it. My questioning if he does 5 animals kungfu has nothing to do with skills or lack thereof he has displayed in the ring in fact he does have 32 wins and only 19 losses which is not too shabby. I mean were not talking about someone like steve faulkner who had a good lineage but got beat up in the ring, were talking about someone who doesnt talk about his lineage etc.

perhaps he uses the word 'dojo' because he's an accomplished pancrase fighter now. perhaps his teaching consists largely of japanese shootfighting now.

granted, that's no excuse for the kung fu pictures. i suspect that might be more due to an unknowledgeable webmaster though (not that this excuses much; if jason's being represented by the site, he'd do well to check it himself).

stuart b.

I think I speak for most fighter types when I say:

fuck lineage--what can you DO?

But you shouldn't claim to teach/do a style you don't, regardless.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    I think I speak for most fighter types when I say:

fuck lineage--what can you DO?

But you shouldn't claim to teach/do a style you don't, regardless.
    I have to agree with merry here on one side. I like the traditional aspect of training but really, what matters is how you can handle yourself. There are points and advantages to traditional training and there is much more than just kicking butt, but you should still be able to fight or what your learning is not very useful.