Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jing Quan Dao

Jing Quan Dao

I keep seeing this ad on KFO and in there magazine on Alexander Tao's tactical police/self defense system called Jing Quan Dao or "Way of the Alert Fist".

Who has seen the system? What do you think about it's modern training? More important what do you think about Alexander Dao? Does he walk the talk? Any stories?

It says he teaches this system to the Chinese police unit called-Gung An. (?)
    Regards

Alex Tao

I broke the story on Alex and his system back in January 2001 (See http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsma...mag20jani.html .) I also worked on the two videos you see advertised here - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-at001.html & http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-at002.html . Additionally, I am working on translating several more videos of his.

That being said so you can see my bias, but let me say that Alex and his system is some of the most hardcore kungfu I have ever seen. His fighting system is no-nonsense combat - a lot of killing blows. His hard qigong is some of the most amazing I've seen all around. It is definately worth checking out. Try one of his videos - they are only $19.99. I'm sure you'll be satisfied.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Are the hard qigong techniques on either of the videos?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Gene,

Thats interesting, did you have a chance to cross hands with the man while you worked with him? Can I ask what his own background is, what kind of systems, was he in the military or in the police service?

Can you give a BRIEF backdrop on his methods, are they straight forward and simple, more striking based, more throws, more joint manipulation, a solid mix, is it more of a tactical police defensive system or a military close combat system, a bit on his qi qong, that kind of thing.

btw, for 19.95 that is a good price either way you look at it when compared to other stuff in the market, how long are the vid's.

Sorry for all the questions but I have yet to see a post on the guy

Regards

Gene, send me the vids and I'll review them for Black Jack.

I've been thinking the same thing Black Jack about the vids.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Rogue

The vids look interesting, maybe because it has that underrated feel to them, I have not heard much talk about him on here so I thought I would ask.

You never know what little gems you might find. btw, you know who has some really good books from back in the day and from the most part are really underrated by the general ma community, Bruce Tegner.

I have been doing some research and the chaps got a heft background on him, was supposed to be a tough sob.
    Regards

I remember tegner's books
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sevenstar,

I think a lot of us remeber reading or seeing a Tegner book in the library or maybe purchasing one as a kid, in the early days of martial mystique he was kinda shunned by the community it seems for being so upfront and forthright with the information in his books, Tegner has a ton of books, a number of them out of print now but still easy to get and cheap, he really was ahead of his time.

When I was younger I thought the stuff looked to simple but now I know better. His mother I believe was one of the first non-japenese judo black belts, his background included a background in the marine core, a 5th dan in ****oryu karate, dan rankings in judo and jujitsu, solid experiance in savate, stick fighting methods, training in aikido and some kung fu and tai chi but of what cma system, level or merit I don't know.

Some books are better than others I would assume, all I have here is Bruce Tegners Savate book which I like, I hear Bruce Tegners Complete Book of Self Defense is really excellent, it was a 21 or 28 day course on close combat for the marine core, I also hear his Stick Fighting book for Self Defense is good and Self Defense Nerve Centers & Pressure Points for Karate, Ju Jitsu & Atemi Waza.

For around $10.00 bucks a manuel I would like to add some to my list.
    Regards

Black Jack- I got the first JQD tape at Gene's suggestion, and it is interesting. Gene recomended it to me as an intro to CMA, and I thought it was pretty good. A lot of practical stuff, not overly complex but based on solid principles. And not the typical pain compliance and document for the lawyers crap that our police have to contend with; this is pretty hard core stuff. There were a couple of techniques I'm not too sure about. They'd probably work, but I have an aversion to sticking my leg out and leaving my knee exposed. But you CMA types don't seem to mind that, so I'd recomend the video. For a twenty and change you couldn't go too wrong, but I think you'll get your money's worth out of it.

Thanks,

I will think about it, do you remeber how long the vid was?
    Regards

I don't really remember- 45 min to an hour. But it was solid instruction. No fu-fu or flourishes, and he saved the "see how great I am" stuff for the demo at the end, then he showed you. Sort of reminiscent of Walter Brennon- "No brag, just fact."

JQD

SS: Alex demos some of his hard qigong skills on the current videos, but no training. That's coming up in the next series I'm working on now. We have the video almost done - we're working on the training bags and medicine. We hope to bust it out in a few months, but product development can take time.

BJ: Funny you should ask about crossing hands. Alex was one of the first interviews I did when I first came on here full time. He told his story, which was pretty crazy, but very interesting. At the end, I mentioned (like I always do) that the main thing the story needs is some applications demos. Now I'm the only practicing martial artist on staff here, so I was to be the fall guy. It's part of my job description. So I face off with Alex, dressed in my casual office wear, outside on the asphalt since that give the best light. He looks at me and gives me the "look". Suddently I realize that he thinks this is some sort of martial test. When he comes on guard, his fists turn red - something I've seen with other qigong masters. Anyway, I'm sturggling to communicate that this is just for pictures, and he's throwing me around like crazy. All of the locks and strikes where an inch past my comfort zone, if you get my meaning. If you look at that article, look at my expression carefully and you'll see what I look like when I'm getting my ass kicked.

As for his system, it's a good mix of strikes and locks, with an occasional crazy kungfu move thrown in for good measure. it's street combat with kungfu roots. My big regret is that I didn't get the chance to train with him while he was here.

I think Alex is definately one of the styles to watch. Not many know about it now, but there has already been one 'impersonator' school come up. My advice to all of you is to get in on this one on the ground floor.

As for Tegner, I liked his stuff but a lot of it was "big man" fighting. Many of his techniques work for a big man, but not for a small man vs. a big man. He admits that in the text. I'm not big, so it wasn't that useful to me.

r: Come on, just buy the videos yourself. $19.95 +S&H ain't much at all, and you'll be supporting our forum. The vids are solid. fun to watch too, since Alex really hits his students in demo.

dnc101: Glad you liked those videos. FWIW, we added most of the demo stuff, just because we had it. It wasn't part of his original broadcast.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

How about half price Gene. C'mon man I buy KFM on the news stand every month, my stocks are all in the toilet, I have to sell my Benz and I have kids to feed. Give a guy a break!!!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Black Jack

I have both video's, We can hook up and we can view them if you like.

I'm going to reserve comment on them technically untill we hook up, but I will say I like them and I feel an experianced MA could benifit from them.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 06-27-2002 at 02:30 PM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Royal,

Sounds interesting, one of the reasons I thought about the videos is that they reminded me of the Rovere stuff a little bit, not in tech or history or anything as I have never seen Rovere's material, I have only read his articles and gone through his website a few times, but just in "feel" for lack of a better word.

You just don't see many gong fu vids with a police or military style background to them. Makes me wonder as so perfectly stated in the smash hit "7"

"Whats in the box."

Royal that sounds like a plan, I am on my third interview for this new position, at least I hope I am, its the last one, a phone interview with the CEO if my business references check out, which I don't know if they will because I really don't know why they want so much, and what they are looking for at this point, but I would like to get together and go through the tapes either way.

Let me find out tommorow when and if I have this phone interview and if I pass I will be in Melville, NC for 3 weeks of training but I would like to hook-up before then, just gotta find what time's they are talking about so we can hook up a time.

Have you seen them yet per chance??
    Regards