Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gypsy, Wanderers, Beggers, Vagabond

Question Gypsy, Wanderers, Beggers, Vagabond

Hi,

Just out of interest, I have been trying to find out a little about these styles, due to their connection to Bak Mei Pai.

In HB UN's book, he mentions Cheung Lai Cheun learned the Cross Set (Kata), Sun, Moon, Monkey, Knife and other Sets from Sifu (Smallpox) Lam (12), a teacher of Gipsy Style.

The only other reference to this style, I found in a rare book called "Shaolin Tiger Boxing", by Hui Yat Chiu (Yih Mei Book Co., 1982). In the introduction, they go into a fair bit of the history of this style, which is variously called Vagabond, Gypsy, Wanderers, or Beggers. The book also says this style includes within its curriculum; Shaolin Tiger Boxing (which looks purely Hung Gar to me), Luo Han Boxing (Arhats' Boxing), Mo Tang Chiang, etc.

I also paged through Kungfu Wushu-Qigong's Millennium Edition (January 2000), but could not find any references to it.

Would anyone know anything about this style, and it's relation to Bak Mei? Would "Cross Set" be Sup Ji? What would "Sun, Moon, and Monkey" be (Monkey = groundfighting set?) - or were they incorporated?

For that matter, does anyone know anything about Lee Gar either? Was it predominantly the weapon forms from Lee Gar that were incorporated? HB Un mentions 72 Earth Ghost as well (which looks pretty close to Sup Ji, if you ask me).

Anyway, hope these questions have some interest for people here!

Heres some information about Beggars style at this website

Also try Leung Tings Icredible Skills of the Vagabonds his two books there is lots of information in these books.

thanks

Hi Firehawk - interesting site! Some of those forms sound vaguely familiar!

Mang Fu Ha Sahn

Hi Ao Qin,
    If I remember correctly, earlier, members of Bak Mei Pai on this board said that they practice Mang Fu Ha Sahn in their curriculum.

I practice this form too from my line. I have a mixture of Northern and Southern Forms in my forms training.

I was told that this form is featured in Black Tiger Style, I see it listed in Beggar and Fong Yang/Gypsy Style and see it in a Fut Gar version of Leung Tien Chu's line (1920's).

I know nothing of Cheung Lai Cheun, but since you mention he may have learned some Beggar Style, perhaps Mang Fu Ha Sahn is the proof of the Beggar Style connection.

Please correct me if I am wrong, just an observation.

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

Ao Qin:
    I have only seen the 2 books mentioned on this style (Shaolin Tiger Boxing, and Incredible Skills of the Vagabonds). Kung Fu Magazine had an article on it by Salvatore Canzonieri in the Dec/Jan 97 issue too. I studied this style briefly from a Sifu in Hong Kong, who called it Haak Foo Keun. I just learned one form called Gam Gong Kuen, which looked so much like Hung Ga. I can get his address if you want to contact him as he is still teaching. The style has a lot of different dummy forms as the gwandersh supposedly lived in the forest and trained on the trees which they used as dummyfs, I saw 2 of the sets which were very interesting.

Beggarfs style was known for its Drunken Boxing made famous by Sou Hut Yee, one of the ten tigers of Canton. In Bak Mei there are 2 forms that were from the style. Sup Ji Kau Da (cross pattern grabbing and striking) and Jeui Hut Yee Kuen (drunken beggars fist). CLC didnft teach Sup Ji Kau Da while in Canton but did teach Jeui Hut Yee, which he later left out probably because of its difficulty. My line calls it Jeui Kuen but other lines have the same form but use a different name, I forget what.

I donft know much of the Lee Ga style unfortunately, but I do know its different from the Lee Ga of the five southern family styles. I have an email address of a Sifu in KuangJau city who knows it if your interested.

Buddhapalm:
    The form Man Foo Ha San didnt come from beggars style. It was an extension of the Man Foo Cheut Lum form that was compiled by several of CLC's students.

Kei Lun

Smile thank you

Hi Kei Lun, thanks for the info. However, I'm only interested in a theoretical discussion on this connection...

Sounds very intersting about the dummys - I've been enjoying my own work on them - what a difference it makes! I used to whack trees, but they hit back too hard!

You are a true wealth of knowledge on the arts!

Cheers - Ao Qin

A theoretical disscussion? Hmmm, I dont know too much theoretical history. Sorry to jump in with my facts. Good luck eh.

Kei Lun

Stacey Guest
    Gypsy is like saying "n1gger" its derogitory. We are called "Rom" or Romany, this has been common knowlege for at least 100 years and you would have lost wwII without our help behind enemy lines in germany.

If someone told you that their are ancient knife fighting secrets, they are trying to get a dollar from a stupid gaje. Theres one born every minute. I don't doubt that there are some superb Rom knife fighters. We are being selectively exterminated in at least 10 countries, but this is ghetto/prison style, one our of neccesity.

Kei Lun

The pattern, Jeui Hut Yee Kuen (drunken beggars fist), or Jeui Keun, sounds really interesting. A wee treasure from the vaults in Guangzhou.

My Sifu's grandfather was an accomplished CLF player, and Sifu has shown me some "parlour tricks" from his ancient memory of CLF drunken. Just a bit of fun and games, nothing serious. The thing is it always seemed like it would be possible to get the essence of Pak Mei into it. The story I heard was that many styles had a "drunken" form, or style. Somehow I suspect the word "Drunken" doesn't say it all, as one would expect.

So, you can see, to hear that there is a "drunken" inspired pattern is very interesting, can you tell us anything about it? Holding the Cup? Carry the tray? Does that mean anything to you (or CLF for that matter?)

this and that

Kei Lun - your keen "sardonic wit" is misplaced. I appreciate your taking the time to share what you know of the arts - I simply meant I haven't the time (or motivation) to follow up on your kind offer of references on this topic.

Stacey - I apologize if I gave offense by using this term - I had no idea it was derogatory - maybe you could educate us all better by explaining the root of this word - where did it come from?

Toodles - Ao Qin

Thumbs up Stacey

The Romany people are cool! Did you know they have been traced to the north of India by DNA testing?
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

The wanders' styles are usually composites of many not defined to any one particular stylistic attribute. rather they contain many elements of different styles especially those more prominent. The methods are simple direct and efficient, using whatever means to survive dealing with one to many.

When I was young I studied Hung style with my teacher Wong who then also taught me what I later discovered to be Bak Mei, Mok Ga etc..... and in fact although it was known to us as Hung, I have found our SupJi to contain 2 more sections to that of the Bak Mei, forms such as Dragon & Tiger, Snake & Crane, 10 animals etcc....were unfound in the popular wongfeihong Hung Ga.......etc.......

Recently, through research (and soon to be more) it has been found to be the styles of the Hong Men societys' (triads /revoloutionaries) and thus the resulting mix of different skill sets.

Rgds

I always thought that the "Sam-Mun" set came from the "Beggers style"

have been wrong before,will check.

Bak Mei is a mix

Through looking at Jung Shee Cheung Lai Chuen and his rather indepth background he had BEFORE training in Bak Mei Pai, it would be rather foolish to assume he would not take the best of what he had been taught up to that point and teach others. There are forms from Gypsy/Wanderers style, Lung Ying which he must have added to the forms from Bak Mei Pai.

I have heard that there were only 5 Bak Mei forms originally, and that the other forms were taken from the other styles he had indepth experience with.

Anyone want to run with this?

In Boston,

Dale