Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TOTALLY OT: Anybody have any recipes they like that they want to share?

TOTALLY OT: Anybody have any recipes they like that they want to share?

Hey, they call chefs Sifu in China... why not a recipe thread. I know it'll be moved, but at least it'll get some traffic here.

Try this:

Red Thai Chicken Curry

This takes almost no effort using prepared red curry paste and you’ll look like a genius. You could make your own paste, but that’s too much trouble for me. Find a good commercial brand and stick with it. I use Mae Ploy. This stuff does NOT taste of Indian-typ curry powder, however, it can be murderously hot. Tweak the amount of curry paste you use to suit yourself.

2T peanut or vegetable oil
    2T red curry paste
    2T peeled, minced or grated ginger
    1 clove garlic, minced finely
    1 tsp finely minced lemon zest
    14 oz canned coconut milk
    ¼ cup fish sauce (I like Tiparos)
    juice of 1 lemon
    12 oz boneless chicken sliced about ½ in thick
    1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
    1 cup green onion, in 1 inch pieces, green tops and white
    parts separated
    ¼ cup loose, coarsely chopped basil leaf

Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat and add the oil and curry paste. Stir the paste until there are no more lumps and the aroma has been released. Add the ginger, garlic, and lemon zest and sauté until all is fragrant. Add the coconut milk and fish sauce and stir to incorporate all ingredients. Allow this to simmer until the flavors have blended. Add lemon juice to taste. Add the chicken. About 2 or 3 minutes before the chicken is done, add the red bell pepper and the white part of the green onions. About a minute later, add the tops of the green onions and cook just until the vegetables are bright in color and have lost their raw taste, but are still crisp. Take the curry off the heat and stir in the basil. Serve with cooked rice.
    Last edited by Merryprankster; 06-29-2002 at 02:03 PM.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Oh man, great thread. I think I accept the title sifu here. I gotta run, when I return I'll post my recipe for 'Korean-style' smoked sausages.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Talking

Hi MP,

Here's my counter to your Thai Chicken Curry. [I think this will keep it on topic here, lol....]

To balance the hot and spicy of the curry, try this easy soup:

1 can of cream style corn (Del Monte is the best)
    1 can of chicken broth (Swansons is the best)
    1 can of crab meat (President's Choice is great) *drian the liquid.
    2 eggs (organic if possible) beaten
    1 tb of Apple Ciddar Vinegar
    white pepper to taste
    Garnish with a bit of pepperika (optional)

Simply add cream style corn and the broth to pan and bring it to a broil. Add crab meat let it cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the eggs using chop sticks. The "technique" is important here if you want a nice looking soup. Let the eggs run down the chopsticks and keep stirring so that the eggs don't form big pieces. It should look more like the shredded crap meat. Finally, add the ciddar vinegar and white pepper. Enjoy

[I wonder what's the counter to that?]

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I don't know if you like vegetarian cooking Merry but I enjoy this little burmese dish, I picked it up from a buddy o' mine.

Burmese Veggies with Hot Peppers

3 tb Sunflower oil or vegetable broth
    1 1/2 cup Bell peppers, red-sliced
    1/2 cup Bell peppers, green-sliced
    1 1/2 cup Snow peas
    1 1/2 cup Bok choy-sliced
    1/2 cup Baby Leeks-sliced
    1 cup Carrots-thinnly sliced
    1/8 ts Fresh red Chilies-chopped
    1 Garlic Clove-sliced
    4 ts Tamari

Take a wok, heat up your oil over high heat until hot but not smoking, toss in the vegetables and seasonings and stir fry for about 2 minutes, stirring about 3-5 times; the vegetables should be crunchy. Remove and serve with brown rice. My girlfriend also likes to serve it with purple cabbage..

btw, I love FOOD!
    Regards

I love food too, and love vegetables.

I'm actually working on a cookbook. Don't worry, I won't steal any of these ancient secrets without asking or credit, LOL.

Black Jack--looks good.

Mantis--I believe that is a fairly recent chinese invention (recent in the sense that corn is a new world food), but I cannot remember if it is Shanghai in origin or Hong Kong.

I'm familiar with the technique for making "egg flowers" in soup

Suggestion--rather than creamed corn, use scraped corn from the cob, a little cornstarch to give the soup some body and add some soaked sliced wood ear mushrooms. Beat some sesame oil into the eggs and it will help them keep silky strands in the soup
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

Ok, here's another, just to keep things moving...

Tomato, Avocado and Green Onion with Cheese in a Great Big Bowl….

I have absolutely no idea if there is a real name for this salad. I discovered it at a party in Acapulco and ate entirely too much of it before slipping into a hot tub and smoking a stogie, margarita in hand. I became so enamored with the salad that I never forgot it. The house it was held in is on a cliff side at the north end of Acapulco Bay, and looks out over the entire city, while ocean breezes come in from the west. I didn’t get a chance to talk to the chef who was doing the catering, but I think I got pretty close to what he did. Thanks to the avacado, this doesn’t keep very well, although, put in the coldest part of the refrigerator, it is sometimes passable the next day if allowed to warm up just a bit. Serve as part of a meal, and invite some friends. While I’m not big on stogies, the margaritas are optional, but highly encouraged. It’s a summer thing. Don’t bother in winter or you’ll be all cross from the results.

4-5 cups diced ripe tomatoes
    3-4 cups diced avocado
    1 cup green onion, finely sliced
    ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    ¾ cup crumbled queso fresco (If you can’t find this, substitute
    a mild feta, and use a bit less of it)
    Lime juice
    Olive Oil
    Salt
    Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly, but gently, having lime juice and olive oil on standby. When all is mixed well, add just enough lime juice and mix to bring all flavors to the forefront. It shouldn’t TASTE like lime, but there should be just a light hint of its flavor, add enough olive oil to make the salad glisten, but no more than that. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve. It’s not too shabby as a dip for tortilla chips and actually makes a good tortilla filling as well.

Thumbs up

A pizza baker can be called "Sensei" in Japan.

Sorry,don´t have any good food recipes.
    But I´d really enjoy good,simple dit da jow recipes in english,with non-exotic ingredients.
    Thanks!
    The sunset´s setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-

Thumbs up Le "Paté Chinois" Une recette traditionnelle Quebecoise

One rank of minced beef.
    one rank of corn.(In grain)
    one rank of mashed potatoes.
    There you have the famous "Paté Chinois"
    This meal was invented by the railroad company who was looking for an economical and nutritive way to feed the thousands of Chinese workers who builded the transcontinental railway in Canada. So the Paté Chinois "Chinese Paté" became a traditionnal meal in Canada and particulary in French Quebec.

Smile

Hi MP,

Thanks for the suggestions. They should work with this receipe. Personally, I don't like thick soup (too western) . I don't mind thick soup but would prefer more broth like soup. Being a Cantonese, our soups are more like tonics and are important part of our diet. BTW, instead of cornstarch some chefs prefer to use water chestnuts starch. Actually, you can change this soup into a sauce for deep fried white fish fillets. You are right about the "newness" of this receipe. Cantonese cuisine, which is the root of HK cuisine, uses quite a few "foriegn" ingrediens. Milk is another interesting addition. There are deep fried milk and stir fried milk dishes in "traditional" Cantonese cuisine.

Mantis108

PS the scrap corn on the cob is a great idea, but is way to much work for a quickie. lol...

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Talking

Hi Old Jong,

Interesting Paté Chinois. That's kind of like the Sherpard pie, right? Interesting history though. I like dishes that has some history background to it. Thanks for sharing a traditional Quebec dish. So there are more traditional Quebec dishes than just Poutine ( I can just heard the calories, lol...).

Manits108

對敵交手歌訣

妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Yup... fried milk with crab. Not too shabby.

Yeah, I don't like super thick soups either. However, you will lose some body because you are using fresh scraped corn rather than creamed corn, so I was suggesting that as a replacement. Any starch, really would work.

Have you considered, for a more formal occasion, garnishing with slivers of yunan ham?

I personally like, as silly and boring as it sounds, won ton soup, but I hate the way it's made in most restaurants. I make my own won tons with ground chicken and eggwhite and some ginger and a very light hand with any other seasonings and thin out the stock just a hair and add a couple of smashed ginger slices to the stock to simmer a bit while I make the won tons. Most restaurants use a wrapper that is MUCH too thick.

Finding really good chinese food is hard--as hard as finding good CMA!!! The abominations normally served as egg flower soup and hot and sour soup should be given to the cat. Unless it's chinese. Then it would refuse.

I still haven't convinced my girlfriend to try hot and spicy tripe or looed chicken's feet.

OMG, these are the best!!

I couldn't find my recipe, so I got this one off the food network website. It's where I had mine from, and people love them when I have company, and I make them!! NUMMY!!!

Chicken Sates with Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce

1 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
    3/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
    2 teaspoons cornstarch
    1 whole skinless boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 pound)
    10 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
    Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce, recipe follows
    In a small bowl stir together coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, and ground coriander until combined well. Stir in cornstarch, mixing thoroughly.

Cut chicken lengthwise into 10 (1/2-inch-thick) strips and add to cornstarch mixture, stirring to coat. Marinate chicken, covered and chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours, refrigerated.

Prepare grill. Thread 1 piece chicken onto each skewer and grill on a oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with Spicy Sichuan Peanut Sauce.

Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce:
    1 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup Asian sesame oil
    3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
    2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
    2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
    1 1/2 teaspoons Asian chili paste* or 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
    1 tablespoon hoisin sauce*, or to taste
    1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    3/4 cup water

*available at Asian markets, some specialty foods shops, and supermarkets

In a blender or food processor blend all ingredients with salt, to taste, until smooth. If not using immediately, transfer sauce to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Peanut sauce keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Yield: 10 sates
    Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
    Cook Time: 15 minutes

~Just remember, MAKE A LOT, because they are a fave among guests~
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Hey, good one Wushu!

Smile Mantis108

Thanks, chestnut starch is permanently logged in the memory bank.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

My favorite recipe:

Marry an excellent cook, concentrate on bringing home a paycheck so she has time to make things.

Some things I've eaten in the few months:
    Tongue
    Heart
    Tripe
    Tendon

We just picked up 2 lb. Dengunese crabs from Chinatown, last night we had one simmered in olive oil, garlic, ginger, and basil.

Fresh fish is waiting in the freezer.

-FJ