Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TOTALLY OT: Anybody have any recipes they like that they want to share?

Great thread everyone! I'm getting started on MP's Red Thai Chicken Curry pretty soon here, and then I'll try the others. kick ass!
    I am nothing.

Toast

Take two slices of bread and... um...

Dang! I'll have to look in my cookbook and get back to you guys with the rest of it.
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Talking

MP,

Didn't know that you are a fan of Chinese cuisine. That's very cool.

Won Ton is considered the signature snack dish of Canton. Kind of famous like fish n' chips that it is one of the best comfort foods for Cantonese people. The really classical WT is very hard to make. If you have seen the movie "Tempopo", you would understand the Kung Fu it takes to make a good noodle. It is no difference with the WT. The Won Ton dumppling, the noodles, and the broth are each an art of their own. Most importantly, the best WT noodle or "Sai Yong" as it is affectionately called in the side walk food stalls and small noodle houses, has to be finished in couple of bits (remember it is a snack). Come to think of it, it is a Chinese paradox that you prepare fast food with long and intense effort. So... Anyway the hugh portion that is commonly served in most North American restaurants is really againt the spirit of this classical dish.

Guohuen,

You are most welcome. Water Chestnuts starch is fruitier than cornstarch. Expansive shark fin soup would use it as well instead of cornstarch as a thickening agent.

Qi dup,

Hope you enjoy the receipes.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

The best part is that it's like martial arts.... different noodle and dumpling houses have their own recipes and people argue about whose is better.

Having made dumplings and noodles from scratch, and stock and whatnot, I can say it DOES take awhile. I love noodle shops. I love bowls of noodles in clear broth. Pho is my current favorite

I'll bring some other recipes on-line soon!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Great Thread

Every couple of weeks or so I make a huge pot of chicken broth that just about lasts me the whole two weeks. It takes an entire day to simmer but I love doing it that way.

I hate these flavour enhancers like MSG they put in everything nowadays instead of real stock. You miss out on all the goodness that traditional broth has in it, and the taste is nothing like the real thing.

Check out this link for loads of info about all the goodness old-fashioned broth has to offer, as well as recipes:

Broth is Beautiful

My Dancing Fish will defeat all!

This is one of the best recipes in the world. Make a double batch and and invite me over for dinner!

Strange Flavor Fish

1 fresh fish, 1½-2 pounds after gutting
    1 teaspoon kosher salt

Aromatics:
    1 tablespoon chopped ginger
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    2 tablespoon chopped scallions (green and white parts)
    ½ teaspoon red chili flakes

Liquid seasonings:
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    1½ balsamic vinegar
    2 tablespoons water

oil for deep frying

PREPARE THE FISH
    1. Clean fish, flush with cold water, pat dry.
    2. Score the fish with a sharp knife, holding the blade verticle, cut 45 degree diagonal lines angling from the front to the back of the fish. Start about an inch from the gills and cut parallel lines every 1¼ inches. Cut about ¾ through the fish. (This will allow the middle of the fish to cook -- and you can easily pull off the flesh with a fork or chopsticks).
    3. Rub the fish with the salt, making sure some gets deep into the score marks.

DEEP-FRYING THE FISH
    1. Use a large heavy skillet that can hold the fish with inches to spare. Heat oil until oil is hot and the surface looks hazy (400 degrees). While oil is heating pat fish dry.
    2. Grabbing fish by its tail, slowly lower into the oil. The oil will bubble vigourously and may splatter.
    3. As the fish fries, gently spin the fish in the oil to keep it from sticking. Flip fish and/or ladle over the top of the fish if using a small amount of oil, to ensure complete cooking.
    4. Cooking is complete after 3-5 minutes, the top of the scores will be slightly golden brown and the flesh in the score will be fully cooked. Remove fish from oil and drain on paper towels.

MAKING THE SAUCE
    1. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a small bowl.
    2. Heat a heavy skillet over high heat, until hot enough to evaporate a bead of water on contact.
    3. Coat the pan with 2 tablespoons of frying oil.
    4. When oil is hot enough to sizzle a bit of garlic, add the garlic, ginger, scallions one by one, allowing each to release its aroma before adding the next. Add the chili flakes last.
    5. Quickly stir in the liquids. Bring to a simmer. Cook the sauce just long enough to boil off most of the vinegar taste, leaving the sauce sweet and spicy with a tangy edge of vinegar. (Taste often to track how the sauce changes while simmering!)

Place fish on a platter and pour sauce evenly over the fish. Serve immediately. The score marks should help the meat should pull off the bones. Don't forget to each the fish cheeks (little pieces of flesh lying atop the gills) and the soft flesh near the tail.

-crumble

Thumbs up

Great recipe MP! I just got doen with the red thai curry chicken and it was incredible! My dad has been in the resturant business for 14 years and he was very impresed. let us know when your cook book comes out, I'll be sure to pick it up!
    I am nothing.

what's fun is to get a real high calorie recipe like fried chicken and post it at one of those anorexia web sites. kind of cruel but maybe those people need a little abuse.

like so

http://www.boardbot.com/boards/ATOB/2503.html

check out the rest of it, definately one of the saddest, most demented boards I've ever seen (besides this one of course)

Boiled water

Put 1.5 cups of water into a pot. Put on high heat until boiling. Be careful not to burn it.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Qi dup--Thanks! I appreciate it very much.

LOL at Joe Doe!!!
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Pick up telephone.

Dial your favourite home delivery service.

Enjoy well cooked food, without the bother of cooking!

You don't even need to wash up if you eat it straight from the container!

Disclaimer: I actually enjoy cooking and this is purely a lameass joke.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Soup is good food!

Some of those recipes look nice!

Me, I love soup!!!

Try this:

Soup a la regle (or whatever queen is in French... Old Jong where are you!!)

One large cooking onion (strong, not those big watery Spanish onions);
    Two heads of lettuce (any kind; include those mushy half rotten leaves you maybe should have chucked away);
    Two large potatos (white and floury: good creamers);
    Salt and fresh pepper;
    A wee drob of olive oil.

Slice the onion thinly enough to see through. Sautee until slightly caramelized. Add chopped potatos, water and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer til soft. Add torn lettuce for two minutes. Take off heat and whack it in a liquidizer!!! Add pepper to taste. Simple, healthy and very nice!!

You can add a knob of butter and/or cream if it's too healthy for you, and some people use chicken stock but I find the delicate flavour is just what you need as a palate cleanser sometimes, as an hors d'oeuvre, or for hangovers!!

Side note (short rant!): Some people like their spuds peeled for a creamier consistancy. I like mine with the skins for that little extra flavour and fibre. Bear in mind that something like 90% of the vitamin C in tatties is in the 3% of the tuber under the skin, and most of the minerals and other vits too, so don't throw it away! However, potato skins are like a sponge for nutrients, so most agrichemical residues are in the same part. Most farmers everywhere in the world use some nasty **** on potatos, and scrubbing won't get rid of it. Buy organic if you can!

Side note II: tearing lettuce: Some people say that the metal in kitchen blades reacts badly to some veggies. Some people say it will taint the flavour. The only scientific evidence I've seen is that any kind of handling of veggies can destroy fragile surface vit C carrying cells membranes: another reason to buy local! And that conversely, aubergine (that's egg-plant!) will dull your knives! However, I tear lettuce in this recipe and in salads cos that's the way my granny showed me!!
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 07-04-2002 at 09:03 PM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

By the way, I've got loads more!! I used to run a restaurant and I cook all the time! I love it...

I don't want to hog the thread but just ask if you do want any more!!!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Anybody got any good recipes for Chinese Hot and Sour Soup?

My girlfriend's grandmother makes it with some kind of stock enhancing sauce, called something like 'sa-te' in Cantonese, sometimes used with chicken (her bottle had a chicken on the side of it...!): not to be confused with satay sauce ! ... But does anyone know anything else about this mystery ingredient?!