Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TOTALLY OT: Anybody have any recipes they like that they want to share?

I have a recipe for Thai hot and sour...

I'll see what I can come up with later. It's been a bit since I've made it. It looks a lot like the curry recipe, actually
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Cool Good Food

Here is one for you. It is called Chicken Tava. It is Turkish. Be careful though, it grows on you and becomes addictive.

Take a few pounds of chicken. De-bone and cut in to 1 inch pieces. Add some salt, black pepper, a few heads of garlic (more or less if you want), a few pieces of chrushed chili pepper ( I like it real hot so LOTS). Then dice up a red bell pepper, an onion or two, and mix into the mixture. Add one can of tomato paste and rub into the chicken and veggies with spices. Let sit for a few hours.
    Heat the oven to 350. Place the chicken in a shallow dish or cast iron pan, add a bit of hard white cheese to it and bake it for 35 minutes. Pull out of the oven and serve with rice.
    A better way of baking it than the shallow dish is to take the clay bottoms of 8" flower pots. Soak for about an hour in hot water, then rub the surface with some oil. Spoon some of the chicken mixture on the surface and cook for 30 minutes. The dish will be HOT when you take it from the oven, but you can serve each individual a single dish for their own. It is closer to authentic that way.

Enjoy.

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Mat, I would never consider this to be stock enhancing, but have you ever heard of Sriracha chili sauce? It has a chicken on the side....
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

OK, have you ever noticed those big fluffy white "cakes" or "buns" that you see in kungfu movies every once in a while? What the heck are they and how the heck do you make them?!

This one is really great in the summer- (also good made w/shrimp instead of chicken)--

Rainbow Peanut Noodles

1/2 pound thin noodles, such as linguine, cooked until just tender, rinsed under cold water, drained, and tossed with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

5 carrots, peeled and grated
    2 English (seedless) cucumbers, peeled,
    halved lengthwise, seeded, shredded, and squeezed dry
    2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
    1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strings (about 1 cup)
    2 cups sliced cooked chicken (cut into thin strips)

1-1/2 tablespoons minced scallion greens
    Chinese Peanut Dressing (below)

1. Arrange the noodles in a large serving bowl.

2. Arrange the vegetables in concentlic circles over the noodles and then pile the chicken in the center. Sprinkle the scallions on top.

3. Serve at room temperature or chilled, with the Chinese peanut dressing.

Chinese Peanut Dressing
    My refrigerator would seem empty without a batch of this all-purpose peanut butter-based sauce. I serve it with vegetable and noodle salads, and as a go-with-anything dipping sauce.

One 1/2 inch-thick slice fresh ginger, peeled
    and sliced in half
    8 cloves garlic, peeled
    1 teaspoon hot chile paste,or more to taste (more!!!--suggestion from Ky-Fi)
    1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, or more if necessary
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    3-1/2 tablespoons sugar
    3-1/2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
    or Worcestershire sauce
    3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
    5 tablespoons Chinese Chicken Broth or water,
    or more if necessary

In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or in a blender, finely chop the ginger and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed and process until smooth. The dressing should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick, add more water or chicken broth; if too thin, add more peanut butter. Refrigerated, in a covered container, the dressing will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.

Makes about 1-3/4 cups

Recipes from:

Asian Noodles
    Deliciously Simple Dishes to Twirl, Slurp, and Savor
    by Nina Simonds
    Photographs by Christopher Hirsheimer
    Hearst Books, an Affiliate of William Morrow & Company, Inc.

While we're on the subject, I would like to heartily recommend a cookbook I bought recently. It's called

"The Folk Art of Japanese Country Cooking", by Gaku Homma.

The author is the head chef/ owner of a Japanese restaurant in Denver, was a curator of a folk art museum in Japan, and is also an Aikido sensei who was a live-in student of M. Ueshiba. Tons of great recipes, plus lots of stories about the history and meaning of the food, and the traditions behind it. And as he grew up in rural Northern Japan, he focuses on that type of simple country food, rather than what he describes as the upper-class "Samurai" food found in most Japanese restauants. A nice book.

Thumbs up

Red5A,
    I think that you might be referring to baozi they sell 'em everywhere in China they're like a breakfast snack food. Me and my mate lived on them when we were over there.

They're steamed bread rolls that are stuffed with something, we think it was pork mince and spring onion type stuff, but they were delicious.

I'm sure I've got a recipe somewhere, but I never tried to make them (I guess I thought it probably wouldn't be the same.) I'll see if I can dig it out.

jpcm

8. Red5A,

Usually, I believe those are pork buns. You might want to check out http://chinesefood.about.com as they will probably have a recipe in their file or definitely in their message boards.

they can have pork, chicken, beef, lotus stuff (?), even coconut (a personal favorite). they are all slammin. you should hit up your local dim sum place for "my lay go". looks like a twinkie kind of. sh!t is slaaaaaamin.

here's my current favorite recipe...

2 avacados
    half clove of garlic,
    half tomatoe,
    half green onion (scallion)
    half yellow pepper
    juice of half a lime
    a stalk or two of celery

peel and mash the avacado, chop up the veggies, add em up, pour the juice in, salt to taste, and BAM, you got some good @ss tasting guacamole that packs a great source of energy and is mad good for you too.

i have this about 3-4 times a week right now. children, can you say "addict"?
    Last edited by Justa Man; 07-10-2002 at 01:06 PM.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

So you're still alive, eh Justa? When can I expect my side of the trade?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

sweet...

I can share my fav recipe with you all now.

I always like to whip my eggs (4) for a solid minute. Maybe even two. Make sure to pour the egg out of the container onto the pan with a similar consistency throughout, so as your mixture will not be "clumpy". Then I can safely make the best sunny side up eggs that I can make. This is only my method. IMHO the eggs go well with SMACK ramen noodles, especially the spicy flavor. Make sure to use two flavor packs, as this makes it really scrumptious. Generally, I microwave on high for 3 minutes. If I really want to spice up my meal, Ill boil the water. Now, there are two schools of thought as far as how to prepare the noodles themselves: There are those that like to not break up the noodles at all. Then, there are those that like to break up the noodles into managable bites. IMHO, the managable bites method is preferrable, less messy. Depending on preference, one can use a spoon or a fork. The spoon is obviously utilized to get the brothy goodness, but the fork can snare more of the noodles. I suppose one could use a spoon AND a fork. Or a spork, if they can find it.Serve with two vanilla flavored cokes with a swirly straw.

i have lots of similar recipes if anyone's interested. I like to call them my Bohemian recipes.

Gabriel
    Forge Virtue and Honor in the hot fire of Hard Work

Expectation is the worst emotional disturbance - Yang Jwing Ming

Try this....

Tomato, Avocado and Green Onion with Cheese in a Great Big Bowl….

I have absolutely no idea if there is a real name for this salad. I discovered it at a party in Acapulco and ate entirely too much of it before slipping into a hot tub and smoking a stogie, margarita in hand. The house it the party was in is on a cliff side at the north end of Acapulco Bay, and looks out over the entire city, while ocean breezes come in from the west. I didn’t get a chance to talk to the chef who was doing the catering, but I think I got pretty close to what he created. Thanks to the avacado, this doesn’t keep very well, although, put in the coldest part of the refrigerator, it is sometimes passable the next day if allowed to warm up just a bit. Serve as part of a meal, and invite some friends. While I’m not big on stogies, the margaritas are optional, but highly encouraged. This dish is a summer thing. Don’t bother in winter or you’ll be all cross from the results.

4-5 cups diced ripe tomatoes
    3-4 cups diced avocado
    1 cup green onion, finely sliced
    ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    ¾ cup crumbled queso fresco (If you can’t find this, substitute a mild feta, and use a bit less of it)
    Lime juice
    Olive Oil
    Salt
    Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly, but gently, having lime juice and olive oil on standby. When all is mixed well, add just enough lime juice and mix to bring all flavors to the forefront. It shouldn’t TASTE like lime, but there should be just a light hint of its flavor, add enough olive oil to make the salad glisten, but no more than that. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve. It’s not too shabby as a dip for tortilla chips and actually makes a good tortilla filling as well.

Next up will be my chicken vindaloo recipe, my jerk marinade, and I'll get around to a Won Ton soup recipe. I hope this thread doesn't die... it keeps me going on recording recipes. It's a real pain in the ass--I do everything by taste and feel so writing them down... BAH!

Chicken Kabob, Central Asian Style.

I hesitate to slap "Persian," "Afghan," "Tajik," "Pushtan," etc on food from the Central Asia. It's all very similar with some minor adjustment and quirks here and there as you move about. Kumiss anyone? I've been eating these for years, remarking on the use of cinnamon in the seasoning rub, and never really doing anything about it. I used hibiscus flowers rather than sumac, because that's what I had in the house. You can find them at almost any mexican or latin american market, but you'll have to grind them yourself. Hope you like this--it was a hit at the party last night. I'll adjust the quantities later maybe Cumin and cardamom add some savory undercurrents, whereas cinnamon's sweetness offsets the floral tartness of the hibiscus. No garlic. Can you believe it? Ginger might be nice, but not too much. This is subtlely aggressive. Maybe it's an "internal recipe?"

Anyway, here goes.

6 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1.5 inch chunks
    2 onions, cut into 1 inch chunks, and seperated into individual squares.
    1/2 cup of ground hibiscus flower
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    2 sticks of cinnamon
    1.5 tsp cardamom
    juice of one lime
    2 T of olive oil or ghee
    Salt and Ground pepper to taste

Toast the cumin and cardamom seeds until they start to release their fragrance, and grind them together with the cinnamon (a small electric coffee grinder works well. I have one that NEVER touches coffee). Reserve. Throw some hibiscus flowers in the grinder, and grind away. Keep adding more flowers as needed until you have about 1/2 cup. Combine with the reserved spice mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste. Remember, you've got 6 lbs of chicken, so you can be a bit generous with the salt. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, and then SMELL the bowl. That's right, get your face down in there. What you want is to be able to smell everything. The hibiscus should be prominent, but it shouldn't smell like a garden. The cumin and cardomom should make your mouth water, but it shouldn't smell like southwestern chili, nor should it smell like cinnamon toast from the oven. Adjust the spices as necessary. Allow to sit, covered in the fridge, overnight.

Soak a bunch of bamboo skewers, and assemble, starting with chicken and alternating with onion. I used four and four, and I think it made around 25 skewers. Grill until done

Re: sweet...

Originally posted by Gabriel
    I can share my fav recipe with you all now.

I always like to whip my eggs (4) for a solid minute. Maybe even two. Make sure to pour the egg out of the container onto the pan with a similar consistency throughout, so as your mixture will not be "clumpy". Then I can safely make the best sunny side up eggs that I can make. This is only my method. IMHO the eggs go well with SMACK ramen noodles, especially the spicy flavor. Make sure to use two flavor packs, as this makes it really scrumptious. Generally, I microwave on high for 3 minutes. If I really want to spice up my meal, Ill boil the water. Now, there are two schools of thought as far as how to prepare the noodles themselves: There are those that like to not break up the noodles at all. Then, there are those that like to break up the noodles into managable bites. IMHO, the managable bites method is preferrable, less messy. Depending on preference, one can use a spoon or a fork. The spoon is obviously utilized to get the brothy goodness, but the fork can snare more of the noodles. I suppose one could use a spoon AND a fork. Or a spork, if they can find it.Serve with two vanilla flavored cokes with a swirly straw.

i have lots of similar recipes if anyone's interested. I like to call them my Bohemian recipes.

Gabriel

This is a joke, right? Microwaved insta-noodles and eggs is a recipe?

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Habaneros of Heck

24 habanero peppers, tops and seeds removed
    1 lb. lean ground pork
    1/4 cup water chestnuts, diced
    1/4 cup grated carrot
    1/4 cup chinese cabbage, diced
    1/4 cup cayenne sauce (Tabasco d00d!)
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    Butter
    1/4 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring

(you can just use a food processor for the veggies- coarse chop...)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the pork, vegetables, sauce, liquid smoke and bread crumbs. Stuff each pepper with approximately 1 tbsp. of mixture. Arrange peppers in single depth on baking sheets well greased with butter. Bake for 45 minutes. Serves 24 (one apiece, if you're not from Texas) or 2 (if you are).

Serve with lots of beer and bread....
    IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!

"The gods be praised! My misfortunes surpass even my expectation!" -Jean Racine

I have the copyrights for Ouing Xun(tm), Veng Stun (tm), & Yengxun (tm). If you use these, you owe me $