Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu

MonkeySlap Too Guest

Hakka Chi-lin style?

Hmm, the first CMA style I ever saw was called Chi-Lin. Then I saw another school, a hung gar school called Chi-lin.

But neither of these were like any Hakka boxing I've ever seen.

What is the hakka Chi-lin system? Is it in the same family as SPM, Bak Mei and Lung?

Just curious...

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Self-Thinking Follower Guest

Very Rare

I've only seen a bit of it and it was done at such close range that I could'nt really describe it except to say it was like the sucking in of SPM and the participants stuck together very tightly. I believe they where practicing pre-arranged drills but I cant say for sure.

I've come across one individual, Patrick Hodges of Hawaii who I believe also does this system, his mother was Hakka. I dont know of any one else. I did hear that there once was an article on this system but dont know if it was in chinese or english. Sorry STF

FIRE HAWK Guest

What is Hakka Chi Lin Kung Fu style

What is this style called Hakka Chi Lin style ?

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    It's Hakka unicorn style (well, qi lin isn't really a unicorn, but that's how it is translated most of the time)...I can't help you more...

Does Anybody Know anything about the History of the Hakka Unicorn style kung fu

Does anybody know anything about the history of the Hakka Unicorn style kung fu and i dont mean the Unicorn dance the Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu style is what i am talking about ?

This is what Laine Nakachi said about the Unicorn Kung Fu style and Dance

In Honolulu , we also do the unicorn dance , clubs .Clubs like the Chinese Physical Culture Association ( Jung Moo Tai Ouk Oui) in Honolulu .The unicorn dance ,if you did'nt know,came with it's own system of self defense.It's called the unicorn dance.Which is a close range type of fighting method.When the unicorn dance is being performed , it as it's own footwork and stances.In self defense situations the footwork is to trap the opponents leg,while the unicorn practitioner can move in and overcome the opponent.The system has it's own chi kung exercises too.It's a rare form of kung fu , the man who teaches it don't teach any more .

If I'm not mistaken the unicorn bows forward like a lion.But when bowing backwards,it moves in a circular motion.
    But go and visit the lion dance web site , it's filled with information on lion ,dragon,peyau ( round face lion ),northern lion,and so forth.Take Care

Sil Lum Kuen
    P.S. Although , I'm not from the Chinese Physical Culture Association.I'm with another kung fu / lion dance club in Hawaii.Bye.

what is hakka?

A chinese people that ruled during the Ming Dynasty who were overthrown by the Ching and then they went to south china and other places in china .

i thought the members of the ming royalty were of hans?

Hakka Unicorn Kung Fu

Has anyone ever heard of this style? I was reading a little about it and it seems really similar to wing chun, bak mei, and souther mantis. Any practitioners in here want to shed some light and give some background on this style. I am really curious to see how it differs from the other mentioned southern styles.

thanks

Hakka unicorn

Hakka is a generic term for a certain style of arts. I think it means "guest" as the Hakka people were migratory. A lot of the Southern styles are Hakka; Lung Ying, Pak Mei and Chow Gar to name a few. Not sure about Wing Chun. It is a Southern, close range style (like the others mentioned) but I don't know if it is a Hakka style.

Hakka are non Han Chinese from the south.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by mkim680 View Post
    Has anyone ever heard of this style? I was reading a little about it and it seems really similar to wing chun, bak mei, and souther mantis. Any practitioners in here want to shed some light and give some background on this style. I am really curious to see how it differs from the other mentioned southern styles.

thanks
    there r no such things as unicorns in Chinese mythology - what u r talking about is a "qilin" (in Japanese, "kirin")
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

it's just another typical way of elevating a given style from being called something like "stuff we do in our village", to a more mystical pedigree

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    t
    it's just another typical way of elevating a given style from being called something like "stuff we do in our village", to a more mystical pedigree
    This, THIS and MORE THIS !!!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This, THIS and MORE THIS !!!!
    ^This.

AM I DOIN IT RITE?
    Kung Fu is good for you.