Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Noodles or Rice?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

Noodles or Rice?

Northerners favor noodles, Southerners favor rice. But..Mein is also very southern. So is there a blending of north and south? Choy Li Fut comes to mind. Wu Dip jeung from Hung-Ga as well, so which is better? Noodles or Rice?

Smile

Both are good, depending on the variety, quality and freshness. Overall I would say rice is more digestable and compatible with more body types. I recommend finding a good book or website on Ayurveda and taking the test to determine which dosha you are and following the dietary suggestions for your particular dosha. There are also food antidotes that will negate the negetive effects of just about everything if used in moderation. Surprisingly brown rice is not recommended for most people. A good aged basmati is most universal.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Chow foon. I love chow foon.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    okay, I started this thread as a kind of joke from another thread, but...seeing where it's going...and I'm gettin kinda hungry...
    I love chow fun, and ngau yuk chow mein-not LaChoy American Chow Mein, but the real McCoy-pan fried noodles, and speaking of rice dishes, siyao gai fon-soy sauce-chicken over rice.There's a great rice shop in Flushing where you can order tonnage of great food-siyao gai, duck, roast pig, cha siew, for about 4 bucks a plate!
    Also I love lop cheung (those red sausages) and lop yuk-which is a dried pork something-I can't identify it but it's amazing-anyone know recipies which use them? yes, I have broken the cardinal rule never to eat anything I can't identify, but face it, nobody can really identify gumbo either.

Depends on what kind of noodles. So many varieties:

la mian (wheat noodles)
    dan dan mian (dan dan noodles)
    mi fen (rice vermicelli)
    shanghai mian (the fat round style of noodles)
    lao si fen (brunei style of noodles)
    he fen (broad rice noodles)
    etc...

and the all time best, gong zi mian (gong jai mien) the instant MSG death noodles.

hey, for rice, would you include mi zhou (mai juk / congee) ?

I like
    Shou La Mien (North) & Fukien Chao Fan(South)

I read a book by Robert W. Smith

he quoted a master he studied with. The guy said something like, if you eat rice it will make yor stomach soft and you'll get yor a$$ beaten faster. That's not an exact quote, in case u didnt know. Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out what the guy meant.
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

okay, I started this thread as a kind of joke from another thread
    I see you're making fun of the brief phô discussion on my bad friend thread
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

LOL

bAK SZE GAY FAN (chicken and rice with giner and shallots) aldentee!

or macdonalds....

Any meat dish that I order at a takeaway, it is so packed full of rice it takes me and three friends a good ten minutes to find the Lemon Chicken.
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

Wink

Grogan - That's not Chicken.

Meow.

You want to try the noodles for texture and variety and the rice to fill you up and nurture you.

peace
    Kung Fu is good for you.

kung Lek,

why don't you eat more noodles and that too would fill you up.

Unlike northern kung fu vs southern kung fu, where the north is better than the south, the same analogy cannot be applied to noodles and rice!

rice is a type of grass (plant) whereas noodles are a manufactured product. There isn't such as thing as noodle plant. on the otherhand, noodles can be made from wheat, rice, potato or other types of starch. The Italians learned to make noodles from wheat through the chinese.

Ego Maximus is always right.

My fav is a southern dish of Hakka descent...

Yong Tou Fu

Question

So Marco Polo went to China in 350 bc?
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish