Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone

Smile Hello everyone

Hey everyone! I just joined these boards today and I look forward to some quality Kung Fu talk. I've been studying Wah Lum since May 1, and I studied Tang Soo Do for a year when I was 8. Can't wait to talk to you all, later.

Thumbs up Welcome

RibHit
    fm
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Welcome to the forum. I take it you're with Sifu Dave Clarkson, correct?

Question

Tang soo do? Isn't this style form Hong YiShian?

Yes, Hua, I study with Sifu Clarkson. Do you know him?
    Paulin, I'm not too sure what Hong YiShian is. I'm new to Kung Fu in general. Tang Soo Do is a Korean art that is a lot like Tae Kwon Do, C.S. Kim is in charge of this in the US.

Originally posted by Ryan
    Yes, Hua, I study with Sifu Clarkson. Do you know him?
    Paulin, I'm not too sure what Hong YiShian is. I'm new to Kung Fu in general. Tang Soo Do is a Korean art that is a lot like Tae Kwon Do, C.S. Kim is in charge of this in the US.
    If Tang--means Tang Dynasty of China, represent Chinese.

Soo--means heand

Do--means way.

Then I heard of Hong was founder of this. Hong was my father's kungfu cusin. It is Chinese art. Has to do with BaGua and XingYi.

If it is not, I am mistaking then. Thanks.

Welcome, Ryan! Train hard!
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Here's an article, Paul...

Tang Soo Do history

And SaMantis...I'm training my butt off

Welcome

Hi Ryan,
    Thanks for the polite introduction.

Paul Lin,
    The Tang Soo Do (Tang Sho Dao) you are refering to was used by Gichin Funokoshi's teacher in Okinawa at least as early as the 1900's.

Gichin is the one who changed the Tang character to another of the same pronunciation which means "empty"

Hence, in Taiwan we say Kong Sho Dao.
    In Japanese Kong and Tang are both pronounced Kara, as in Kara Te or empty hand.

So what Tang soo Do are you talking about?

Yep, the butt's usually the first to go ... do enough bai fut sow and one day it'll just drop right off!!

(just kidding. i'm feeling weird right now)

but seriously, the first 6 months of training were the toughest for me.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Cool

Welcome on board!!!
    As I am pretty new here ,I promise you will get your quality PM talk by sure!!!

Ryan,
    I'm a Sifu at the Temple in Orlando. Ask him to e-mail me dscott@sunterra.com. So, are your legs sore yet? Wah Lum is quite a bit different than Tang Soo Do. How far did you go in Tang Soo Do?

SaMantis,
    Guess that was your butt I tripped over the other day in the office. So how's it going up there? Doing the Temple proud?

Sifu, I did Tang Soo Do from around June 1994-August 1995. I was really young, and I don't think I was mature enough to understand the full meaning of the martial arts. Since then, I've tinkered with the idea of returning to the martial arts scene, and I decided for sure last November. I called every school in my county, and Wah Lum was the last place I called. I talked to Sifu, and he told me to come by one day and told me to check out www.wahlum.com. I was impressed with the site, and I decided to check out the kwoon. I dropped by the following Monday with my mother and I was very, very impressed with what I saw. I was also very surprised, because it was absolutely nothing like Tang Soo Do. After a talk with Sifu about the art, prices, etc. (plus a few flips and sword techniques) I was certain it was the right art for me.

Sifu, could you maybe PM me your real name so I can tell Sifu Clarkson who I've been talking to? I'd really appreciate that. My legs have actually strengthened up, so my legs have quit hurting. The only think thats hurting me now is the lightness of my wallet (I need to start working again to keep paying for classes, I'm down to my last $5 ) Thanx for the reply.

Hua Lin,

I knew I forgot something!!! Maybe you can mail that up to me.

Everything's cool so far, I got here Friday and just spent the weekend exploring. Visited WL in Chinatown, rode the subway, did all that "hick in the big city" stuff.

I've got to line up an apartment, regular job and all that jazz, but I want to get into class ASAP. The bf tells me it's not a good idea to practice in the park, so I guess it's bai fut sow and basic stances indoors for the next couple weeks!

Peace,

Sam

Wecome aboard
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations