Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello everyone

Re: Welcome

Originally posted by Tainan Mantis

Paul Lin,
    The Tang Soo Do (Tang Sho Dao) you are refering to was used by Gichin Funokoshi's teacher in Okinawa at least as early as the 1900's.
    Well, thanks for the info. The Tang Sho Dao I am talking about I have know it like 20 years ago. In Taiwan news paper. Hung Yi Shian was the main charactor in it. Don't know if any one else here knows Hung.

Hi Ryan, welcome to KFO. You will make some very good friends here, that I profoundly respect!

Your teacher is a very good man, and good at his Art. You are lucky you made "that last call"! By the way, to me, quality KF comes with a price. Your teacher spent $$$$$ to learn, not to mention time, sweat, pain etc. Take care of him.

SaM

Are you gonna be training with Sifu Rosen?

Hello, Yu Shan. This seems like a great board...probably the first one I've ever been to with redeemable value.

I've only known Sifu for two months, but he does seem like a very kind person. Unlike a lot of Martial Arts teachers, he practices what he preaches with kindness and respect. I have never seen him in action, but I can tell how good he must be to have trained such great martial artists. Perhaps when I go to a tournament or something I will be lucky enough to seem him do a super-advanced form or something. I profoundly respect him.

I don't think I'll be training with Sifu Rosen...partially because I don't know who that is Well, I got class today, I'm learning 16 hands so I'd better go practice

Hey, yu shan!

Yes, I plan to train with Sifu Rosen, I went and said hello to him last week. Very cool guy.

Ryan,

If you get the chance to meet Sifu Rosen I recommend it. He's very skilled at Iron Palm; you may see pictures around your school of a dark-haired guy with a moustache breaking cinder blocks. That's Sifu Rosen.

Peace,

SaM
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Actually, I've never seen a picture of him in the kwoon. There may be one of him in the lobby, though. However, I have heard that the Boston students are very skilled.

Thumbs up

Sifu Rosen was in Tampa a few months ago and broke 3 flat bricks, it’s seemed effortless! I was very impressed, as I have tried to break one, and was lucky not to have to go to the hospital. Last week I caught some Karate guys doing brick breaking and some other things on TV, but notice that they had spaces between each brick. I know that Sifu Rosen did not have spaces and would have to think that the space would make it easier. Of course, you still need to break at least the first one then use that force to follow thru the rest, impressive still. I do have to question the board breaking as the break was perfectly straight down the length of the board as if it was more of a prop.

RibHit
    fm

Q: “Can you break a tree like that?”
    A: “Don’t know never attacked by tree.”
    Mr. Miyagi
    RibHit
    “Being fast is fine but accuracy is everything.”
    Wyatt Erupt
    Feeling jumpy!!!
    Thread Killer...>>>
    Tommy M

Iron palm is awesome...I remember in TSD, we used to break inch-thick plywood . It was easy of course, but this one kid broke it into three pieces...how is that possible?

No offence to Bob R but he's been doing Iron Palm for over 20 years, yes? Seems to me that given that period of time the number of bricks to be broken would be greater. Then again, MC is not a Iron Palm Master. I think he got his IP Info from Wai Hong, Tiger Claw Master in NY. Of course I can't talk as I can't break any but seeing the Video of Warriors on PBS and seeing a Shaolin monk break a stack of bricks on a flat surface straight down the middle. Now that's impressive, viewing from the video.

Seems to me the first level of Iron Palm would be training the physical (jow, hitting the bag, etc). After that a different type of training would be needed to reach a higher level. I think MC offers only this first level.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cool

I would perfer soft qi kung rather than hard qi kung. Fits my personality better.