Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Martial Art Contracts/ Yes or No?

Martial Art Contracts/ Yes or No?

I got the idea from my post on flag bowing in a martial arts school and it got me thinking on what people's views are on martial art contracts.

Do you see this as a ligit form of business? Pro's and Con's?

I did have a very good friend once who got his credit tarnished because of this tactic. I understand you have to put bread on the table but I do not agree with it. There are better methods of billing.

What do you think and or/if how do you run your school?
    Regards

I personally wouldn't do it. We charge a yearly membership fee to cover insurance, but there is no contract as such.

Having said that, I don't see why it is so bad. Gyms do it, so why shouldn't MA schools? As long as the contracts are legal and reasonable then I don't see a problem.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I would prefer month to month or ideally, pay-per-lesson. That way you only pay for when you definitely go. No wasted money. You can quit whenever you want. They should make that the law.

Contract is the way to go especially for martial art skools! You have to realize that from a BUSINESS point of view u have to make money!!! Most students hate contracts but they're not paying for the LEASING of the SPACE, the electricity, water, advertisement, equipment, and maintenance of their training hall! In the beginning, most skools had month by month. LOL. The people never showed up and just stop paying without even calling or informing the owner. There only way of living is a 1 year or 6 months contract. It's also part of the business nature for most major corp.
    A

I really don't care about the business aspect.

kung fu cowboy...well BLACK JACK ask from a business aspect.
    A

No contract but we do EFT with 30 notice to cancel. My instructor was going nuts making sure people were paying on time.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Oops, sorry! I thought it was a personal opinion thread.

Contracts

I have no contracts, but I do have a Contract with the Air Force to provide me with space and training stuff in return for a small % of my $$. This allows me to not worry about quantity of students, but only quality! Id much rather pay 10 bucks a month for a website, pass out cards, and teach out of a park, then to have to make the rent every month. I would not want to conflict buisiness with the students training, or compromise the art.

From a student perspective I see the benifits of a month to month thing, but it also allows students to skip classes or months without any financial reporcusion to them. This leads to people coming in and out as they please, whenever the mood suits them. However for the teacher who is paying bills, this could obviously hurt him seriously. Any student should be allowed to at least have a trial period of one-month before being forced to sign a contract.
    You must look at it from a buisiness perspective as well, If I had signed on everyone who has ever tried my class to a contract I would have like 40 students right now, maybe 50 or 60! I could then afford to have my own place of buisiness, but I would have to maintain that level of income, if the student really wasnt meant for the MA, they may not come anymore after the first year, so you have to continually allow new people in. I would be raking in the cash, but I wouldnt have found good people, my life would be miserable, and quality training would be sacrificed. Many people that try martial arts think they will become bruce lee overnight, when they realize it takes work and practice, they soon find something more entertaining to do.

Gary
    www.flowingcombat.com

From a student perspective I see the benifits of a month to month thing, but it also allows students to skip classes or months without any financial reporcusion to them. This leads to people coming in and out as they please, whenever the mood suits them.

Comin and going as I please per month is fair.

Ok, pay-per-lesson might be a little much, but month to month SHOULD BE THE LAW. Why the He ll should I be obligated to pay for a year when something might come up, like a decapitation or small bowel obstruction, or a change of heart?

Month to month is MUCH MORE than fair all around.

Originally posted by kungfu cowboy

Comin and going as I please per month is fair.

Ok, pay-per-lesson might be a little much, but month to month SHOULD BE THE LAW. Why the He ll should I be obligated to pay for a year when something might come up, like a decapitation or small bowel obstruction, or a change of heart?

Month to month is MUCH MORE than fair all around.
    I think there should be flexable way of paying to suit all kind of students. some people like to pay seasonal(3months), per month, 6 month, or a year. If you pay more ahead, maybe there are some disconts in compare to per month. So it is up to the students to figerout what is good for them.

I would even consider a 3 or 6 month contract to be ok. I don't think there should be a penalty for time though.

I agree kung fu cowboy, but I dont have to pay the rent on a school either!
    www.flowingcombat.com

Thumbs up

Rogue,

I know a couple o' blokes who work it that way and I think it is a great method.
    Regards

I think a choice of contracts would be fair, with a discount option for advance/'bulk' buying. Most schools over here charge 8-10000 JPY (85USD/58GBP) a year for the initial insurance etc, plus the same for a monthly 'come as much as you like' fee.

This is fine if you have the time and dollar to come regularly: I was going to aiki two or three times a week, and then kungfu twice a week. But now I don't have either the time or money, so I'm in a battle with my sifu about paying per lesson. He says he won't have a pay per lesson scheme because people who aren't serious will come a couple of times, insist on some of the curriculum, and take advantage without giving back to the class: however, he knows I'm not like that. He wants 5000 for one lesson per month or the full 10000 for any more. No way! He's losing 3000 (which I offered per class up to three a month) and risking losing a good student to the wealth of Japanese schools out there. I've asked him about it, but now I'm losing patience (otherwise I wouldn't be writing on this board about it)! I could understand if it made business sense, but I'm sure he doesn't pay too much for renting the kwoon... Whatever.

Anyway: if I were running a school, I would offer a three month trial contract (to impose on the student that it's gonna be a long process) at a discount. Then I would offer six month to one year renewals, with discounts, plus the option of a higher rate single lesson fee. Even then, this would not be too restrictive as it would penalise shift workers etc. This should work for the school and the students, without 'compromising the art'.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan