Thread: Stretching question...

Stretching question...

I consider myself to be rather flexible for a beginner, and I have no problem extending my legs for kicks. However, when I attempt a back kick of any kind, it hurts like heck!! Is there any kind of stretch that I could do to help this? Thanks in advance.

Ryan
    It may not be your flexability, make sure your technique is good. It could be that your pelvic allignment is off. practice on a bar and work slow paying attention on good technique.

Thanks for the reply, but its not my pelvic alignment. I have no problem doing it, it's just my knee hurts really bad when I do it (both of them). I should have been a little more clear in my question...sorry about that. Is there a way I can strenthen my knee.

the best thing i have heard for the knees is riding a bike.

Skard1
    skarbro -- you're in, brother. your sole responsibility -- mock temple kung fu. -rubthebuddha

Its not what goes in a man that defile's him, its what comes out.

www.torontohiphop.com

My guess would be that its not flexibility that's your problem. Often times, knee problems are due to an imbalance in strength between the hamstrings and quads. If that's the case, practicing horse stance or a well balanced weight training program can help eleviate the pressure put on the knee due to this imbalance.

But, I would think that you would have problems with your knees with other kicks if this was the case.

Could it be hyper-extension problem? Even if it was an isolated hyper-extension, the soft tissue could be still enflamed, causing you knees a sharp pain when putting explosive pressure on them.

Other than that I can't think of what else it could be. Have you ever had any major accidents were your knees took punishment?

Art D has the right idea, though. Practicing correctly and slowly can point out a mechanical or physological problems your knees may be suffering from.

Hope you find out.

Mantis9

Ryan
    What part of your knee hurts? When dose the pain happen ? How long dose it last? Are you doing anything for it ( contrast applications of cold & heat) Try some of mc's jow, great stuff.

ryan

is it the supporting knee or the kicking one? the main thing is to stidy your technique, if it is a hyperextension problem then definitely use weight training. but i disagree with the earlier comment about a balanced program, the problem is a lack of strength and/or superior flexibility in the hamstring. so to counter you need extra attention given to strengthening the hamstring- horse stance as wonderous as it may be will do little to help.
    i have always had that problem in my elbows. so in order not to hurt the joint i had to make a special effort to use my biceps as breaks- and it took quite awhile to throw a full speed punch- without breaking/slowing too soon/much.
    good luck!

Art D asked "where and when" for the pain. You are a youngster with WL, so expect severe knee pain for at least the first year. My first year, I could hardly walk up and down stairs, thanks AD

In the massage world, it is true about the imbalance of quads and hams. The "kung fu muscle of leg" is the quadricep. Of course it is worked heavily, the hamstring is not. It is like lower back pain. A strong stomach, strong back=less back pain. These muscle groups work together, just like the quads and hams. But like Art D said pelvic alignment is very important. Do not ignore this. Being a "newbie" how can you say you have no problem doing it? WL has a "southern KF" stance training, be careful at first. Personally I think there is improper knee alignment with WL stances, thus knee pain. If you question this? Then why all the history of Sifus and students with knee problems? Try glucosamine sulfate and massage therapy.

Peace

Thanks for the help everyone. Its not an agonizing pain, but it is a pain that keeps me from getting force. It hurts a bit in the back of my knee...I'm sure its not any kind of medical condition, I just wanted to see if there were any ways to stop this pain...not because it hurts, but because I want my technique to be the best it can be (and I know back kicks rock when fighting multiple opponents in a world where one-on-one is less and less common). Thanx everyone, I will whip out the old bike and just keep trying. I also like to work out by going into low cat stances. Thanks again.

Back of knee, this will pass, get a massage! Would tell ya to ask your teacher to look at stances, but from I know, your stances are done wrong, bad knee alignment. Amongst other things.

Hmm ... I've been doing WL for 2 years now, haven't had a problem with sore knees from doing bai fut sow. Make sure your back is straight, hips are aligned, pelvis is tucked in. If you feel any pain in your knee or ankle (or hip) joints, rise up a bit, recheck your posture. Don't force yourself to go low early in your training. Lower your stance gradually over several sessions.

Bai fut sow is both stretching and strengthening the muscles around your leg joints. It may take several months to go into a tabletop stance comfortably, but be patient, it will happen.

As yu shan said, pain in the back of the knee will probably pass; massage it out after every practice and stretch, stretch, stretch.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah