Thread: Weight lifting books

Weight lifting books

I'm a beginner at weightlifting and i would like to get a good book on the subject. I'm looking for a book with pictures and explanations of exercises and something on nutrition. I'm mostly lifting for power but also some for mass right now.
    Thank's.

The Insider’s Tell All Handbook on Weight Training Technique by Stuart McRobert

Dinosaur Training by Brooks Kubik

Daelomin said:

I'm a beginner at weightlifting and i would like to get a good book on the subject. I'm looking for a book with pictures and explanations of exercises

The best book with the widest variety of exercise pics and demonstrations and notes is Arnolds New Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding (the big black and grey one). The paperback one is about $25, so I would get that. The hardcover one is like $50 which is expensive.

However, do NOT follow the programs in this book, and do NOT follow the diets in this book.

However, it is still very interesting as it is definately the most comprehensive book I've seen when it comes to explaining exercises. There is also some good history of bodybuilding as well as tons and tons of pics to illustrate anatomy as well as the different exercises and different aspects of bodybuilding. There's also some stories about his career.

Some of the stuff in the book is wrong, like the upper and lower abs stuff, but it's so negligable here that it doesn't matter.

Again, even if you don't want to be a bodybuilder, I still recommend this book.

and something on nutrition.

I don't know any nutrition books, and I don't recommend any. Sorry.

I'm mostly lifting for power but also some for mass right now.

Get Pavel's book "Power to the People." This book will tell you how to go about developing power. It's $35 for the paperback, but it's the best, simplest book for power development you will find.

Good luck. These books will set you back a bit, but if you are a beginner they are worth it. If you have any questions just ask.

Remember two things:

1. amazon probably sells them for cheaper (except Pavel's book, which they don't give discounts on)
    2. You can always go to Borders and check them out for free first

IronFist
    Last edited by IronFist; 07-04-2002 at 11:49 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl.

Also, pick up Strength Training Anatomy by Frederic Delavier, to see exactly what your insides are doing.

Nutrition in general, I'd check out the American Dietetic Association, first, to get yourself eating properly (to see exactly what one serving is).

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.