Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to a WC Class...

Went to a WC Class...

Was very impressed with the style, the instructor was also very good though I don't think he was very good at explaining himself - I doubt I'd learn much there or really develop as a Wc man. I am definately going to start WC, just have to find the right school! I'm going to try one or two others next week.

Thumbs up

good luck in finding a good school
    It's well worth spending some time looking for a good teacher,

hey, if ur still online and want to have a chat come to:
    http://www.kungfuonline.com/chat.html
    (don't close the browser window after entering your name)

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Was the person you interviewed with the head instructor? Can you elaborate on your experience noting the things that were good as well as more detail of his inability to explain himself well enough. This might be beneficial to all who are inquiring as well as those who are teaching.

Good Luck in your Kung Fu

Why are you swithcing from your current style (northern mantis)?

opps double post

omg triple post!!!!!!!!!!!

Answers...

I guess I just don't feel NMantis is for me, it's not really something I can explain, just don't feel it's exactly what I want to be doing. It's a great style - I'm not changing because I believe WC is superior, just that WC is more what I want to do, I do believe WC is the best street fighting system I've seen, though I have only seen a few styles so I don't really think my opinion on the matter carries much weight!

There was only one instructor there, the head instructor. The good things to be honest was the WC which really stood out as being incredible fast and technical as well as very efficient - I thought NPM was efficient but WC is super efficient!

His inability to explain himself may have not been an inability, rather myself having a very good NPM Sifu and being a little spoilt! My NPM Sifu when he shows you a move will not just do it once or twice and walk off but will demo it, then you do it standing next to him, then he'll show you where you're going wrong. The first time he shows you he'll explain everything, stance, etc. so you reall know the moves inside out and can dissect them hence why all of his students have such a good understanding of the system.

The WC Sifu simply showed the students a move once or twice then went off without any real explanation, as far I could see their blocks were not that great (though my only source of comparison is various WC books I have seen and a friend who showed me some WC) and I just feel although he was showing them the moves he was really losing the essence of the real system which to me is so important. I'd rather have a sifu who I learn from much more slowly who explains everything and I get the real principles behind everything. I intend to look until I find a school which is like this.

The other thing I didn't like was the students calling the Sifu by his first name, there ws no real discipling in the class, one student started training with another by saying "come with it" - in my old school we were more respectful to others and the students in turn showed no signs of arrogance. Also I noted they started their warmups with some crescent kicks and other above head high kicks, which were also in some form their practiced - I wanted to get away from high kicks.

Overall, great style though, am definately really looking forward to studying it, I really like the principles behind it as well as the efficiency of the moves.

(This was ment to be a s hort post but it's more like an essay hope you don't mind!)

I'd really love anyone to comment on what I've said, especially if they disagree, I don't necessarily think I'm right, it's just what I thought on the topic.

Take care,

NPM

I had a feeling you might end up with WC

Welcome to the fold !

NpMantis,
    Just noticed again you mentioned high kicks?
    Most kicks are low to medium height - it could be they were just using them as warmup exercises. If you see high kicks being practiced be very wary - most WC guys don't use them.

yes luke, come to the dark side
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

Young Luke...

dbulmer - yeah, I figured they were just warmups - I certainly don't want to lose my flexibility, but they were doing some form which involvd high kicks and I was like wtf? I don't want to learn some weird form of WC, I am definately coming over the the dark side, I am very lucky to have had an amazing NPM Sifu and have seen the different between a good and bad Sifu and realise whether a technique is useful or not and don't regret it. If I find the right Sifu I really hope I am able to train in WC for a long time, but who knows what the future holds - maybe 1 year down the line I'll change my mind, but I doubt it. If I find the right Sifu and Class I think I'll be training in WC for a long time. I love the simplicity of it and the way hands 'stick' when the students were practicing. The techniques are fairly similar to many techniques in NPM, but they just have different applications which I really like. I will let you know how it goes... I plan to visit 3 WC schools as I have only found 3 I like the look of, will be going Sun, Mon and Tue! I sincerely hope one of them lives up to my expectations!

stuff - Yes, I will come to the dark side... ****, after I'd had myself convinced WC was no good I've gone against my best principles and seen the dark side! It does look pretty incredible though, the speed and precision of the techniques is just incredible, exactly what I want.

I have heard that there is a high kick in the third form - but I suspect some lineages may not have it and nor have I seen it myself. Perhaps some other WC guys can confirm/deny this.

I suspect you may end up getting sick of the word "Relax" by the time you've finished.

3rd form

It may be, I've seen the first form and I think second too, but never the third. They were walking all over the place though so I suspected it was the 3rd form as I know 2nd only takes steps forwards and 1st is stationary. Still, I was a little upset as I'm trying to get away from high kicks.

btw. One of the things I was surprised with was that even the relatively new students looked pretty good for beginners.

Don't be upset by high kicks. Most of the time they are not used as they are deemed to be too slow and telegraphic. The 3rd form is taught for emergencies as I understand it when you are faced with a real crisis. I am nowhere near that level yet so I can't comment.

Trust us - you'll have more than enough on your plate to begin with

Just a quickie

2nd form usually takes three steps to each side a couple of times, not to the front.

In the two versions of 3rd I've seen, they have only actually taken one step to each side, unless you count frequent repetitions of huen bo (circling step) which is in one place anyway. I've never seen high kicks in Biu Jee.

We practice high kicks as an exercise only. The walking around could have been san sik (solo drills): some schools have set sequences of these.

Did his higher level students tend to move like him? I don't mean as well as him, but with similar economy and flow? That would be a good sign. This can be deceptive too though, as they should be moving according to their own body type, so watch them in chi sau: do they seem relaxed in the shoulders for example?

As for the first-name thing: chill!
    Some people just prefer it, though on occasion, I have found it to be a symptom of general slackness, I don't think this is a good indicator!

And the banter?! Not every time, but sometimes I think it's good to goad your opponent in class. If you say something short and surreal, it can test your opponent's focus! Or of course, you can growl or insult them and their mothers and their dress-sense, sexuality etc! No-one has ever attacked me silently, or whispering sweet nothings (well, there was one lass, but that's another story!!): get used to it! And yes, I'm serious!!

Sorry: rambling, mmm breakfast, bah work... er it's difficult to tell if it's a good school. Start a thread asking for ten recommendations! It's more economical than all those threads saying 'how about this sifu?' '...that sifu?' etc!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan