Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Ng

Nice post.

regards,
    r.

hmmm

and as was stated before "words are just words" and opinions will be voiced regardless of their outcome and how they are taken. still given the "Facts" it still rang of a rooster fight to me.

Many Respects,,,The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Not A rooster fight, but a statement. I had been in the sd for about 9 years. before I left. when I left them I studied with John for about 2 years before he told me to open a school doesn't sound that log but I practised from 6:00 to about 12:00 each night with John. I went through alot o flack from them they were going to come to my school and shut me down, all the normal bs that goes on. I lost about 15 students due to the fact thier parents didn't like what was being said. but I naver did anything about it until this time when I had had enough.( If you pour water into a glass at sometime it will run over). I'm still friends with them all but 2 my old instructor and the guy I struck. I try to talk to them but they just turn thier noses up and go.
    Don't judge schools by things like this. individual falures do not show the schools attitude. The tension here was there way before I started training under John. If you want to learn Martial Arts then you must have a school. Books, papers,video's want help you it's the personnal experience that build the martial artist not here say or pictures. Well gotta go I do this on lunch. 30 minutes.

Your servant Humblely Frank

p.s. Shane if you send me your home address then I'll start sending you our newsletter every month this goes for anyone wanting a newsletter.
    Willowsword I've tried to email you but it keeps coming back. John Remembers eric.

Unhappy I understand

I know all too well the rivalries, and all the BS generated. when i studied with Master Eric i learned alot about the old days with John Ng and the BS between his students and the SD students. its funny though when i left kentucky and went to live again in texas and joined the SD school down there i had no idea at the time what i was getting into. When i told Master Eric where i had joined and that it was a KY based school and that master Joe was from Indiana, i felt as if i had found a good connection, needless to say Master Eric was not too pleased but allowed me to remain there because it was all that was available at the time to me and it provided me with a direct link to Kentucky where i am from originally. Through all of it i tried to remain focused on what i was learning and the quality of what was being taught to me at sd. i still defend it to this very day, HOWEVER, i became tired of all the ego and the rivalry and i did not want to isolate myself within the SD relm for i KNEW that there was a whole lot of other connections that i could make and many good teachers out there as well as people, weeding through all of the crap i come out the end and feel as though i accomplished what i set out to accomplish with that whole school thing and Now, its just an independant road and learning all that i can. I would like to study with Master Eric again as he was a former disciple of DR. Ng. and i would love to learn from Dr. NG. but i fear getting into the same ruts that you have gotten into with sd and others that want to bar progress and borrow loyalty as if it were a hammer or a drill saw. One thing i have learned is that when you dedicate yourself to a scholl and what you "think" is a family you better make sure that they are dedicated to YOU. i found out the hard way from SD that reality.
    Anyway im sorry if i am rambling on and i apologize if i have offended you, i just dont like to see apparently good folks gets sucked into someone elses ego driven BS.
    MAny Respects to you and your Teacher, The Willow Sword
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Willowsword makes a good point about loyalty, 'family structure' et,al.

I've always demanded that my students work on becoming thier own person, and frankly, that's what most of my teachers demanded of me.

The tendancy to want to control the students seems to come out mostly in groups that are money making ventures. When your students are your income, you are motivated to keep them as long as you can.

That isn't ALWAYS a bad thing, but it does lead to dysfunctional teacher / student relationships. People always need to fly when they have wings. It doesn't mean they don't still have respect for thier teachers.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

My impression...from reading the main forums...has been that the desire to "control" is an intricate part of the more traditional martial arts. The heads of styles not wanting the "edge" that set their style apart getting out. I, basically, thought it was a way of doing things passed on from the old days. Am I completely off-base with this assumption?

Respectfully,
    Radhnoti
    Keep it simple, stupid.

Rad

What's up? I agree with your statement. It seems to me that most of the Chinese martial arts hierarchy is based on the Confusian model which demands total allegience to state, country and boss. (So it's much like being a Republican in the US! j/k )
    I personally think this is what's wrong with a lot of systems becasue people don't change with the times when they want to do everything just like Sifu does.
    Last edited by BeiKongHui; 07-25-2002 at 01:17 PM.

Thumbs down

Dont give us that self righteous bull$hit TWS. you didn't have such a disdain for "ego-driven bs" back when Reemul whooped your ass...

We didn't see you walk away from that, and if i remember correctly, even Reemul encouraged you to walk away...

you seem to think you are on some kind of different spiritual plane than the rest of us mere mortals or something...

Post regulator

Who said that i am excluded from the ego driven bs? DID I? no i think not. besides that was a CHALLENGE, that I initiated. and yes to some extent it was ego driven ,,as in my CUP was flowing over with disdain at Reemuls comments that SD sucked. and if i HAD been in more of a supportive group at SD maybe my spirits would have been higher and would have been a better opponent .(i still would have lost though). i dont know where you get off with YOUR self riteous bs to me? obviously you are someone who either knows me or is a sd or eastwind student,,or just someone who wants to create more trouble and disdain. ask the folks here about the respect i gained from eastwind and reemul for actually following through with the challenge. i need not say more about that. badger me all you want, words are just words,,put them to action and see the lessons unfold in your time on this earth. i hope you learn them as well as i have.
    Many Respects,,,The Willow Sword

Exclamation regulator

you dont seem to have a profile. may i inquire as to WHo you are? sometimes when we are annonymous the words we write arent taken as seriously or regarded as anything worth anything unless there is a identity behind them.
    Many respects,,the Willow Sword

Good to see

I studied the Ng family style under John Dufresne in Lexington and met GM NG at the 4 seasons reunion a few years back in Lexington. 4 seasons has reopened, but I am sure it's different from back in the day.

www.4smma.com

Any one of the Ng family lineage feel free to email me in SC.AT:

fmajkd@aol.com

or

SCsilumwushu@aol.com

Allen

Red face

Please no more debates. Let use come together in our journies and help one another. Who cares if this one got whooped our that one. We all have our own faults. The Willowsword is wiser now. Let use be humble.
    Hello Allen yes the 4 seasons is opened again with Dufresne, Burgar, Gary Dzarnes, Mike.

Humblly Frank

P.S. if this doesn't work then let us find a center ground and travel to it and set down to a meal together and eat and laugh at the foolishness in our minds.

Thumbs up thanks Frank

didnt want to get into a pi$$ing match with anyone. i have no idea who regulator is nor do i care. ill end it at that.
    Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

walking

Harmony...................Peace................... ...Patiecne..................Love

Respect....................Humbleness............. .......................................

Frank

Talking Guess who frank?

Your threads are good but i like your articles you write about different styles better....

Then again i never got into the whole reading thing anyways