Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Ng

Dufresne

What happened to John Dufresne? It seems like he was a prominent guy in the Ng family style (8th or 9th the degree I think). And I remember seeing him featured in the ads for International Kung Fu or whatever it was called.
    Is he still teaching? Did he move or is he still in Lexington?

Last I heard Sifu Dufresne was living out in the sticks and had a bad hip. I will ask around and see how he's doing. He's a great MA btw.

Thumbs up Dufresne

Sifu Dufresne still lives in Lexington. He had hip replacement surgery a few years ago and had some complications of sorts with that.

Re: John Ng

Originally posted by FRANK SEXTON
    break the bottom brick from a stack of three.
    After you did this did some big guy with a beard pick up the top brick and break it over his head and say "Dim Mak?"
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Re: Dufresne

Originally posted by Ground Dragon
    What happened to John Dufresne? It seems like he was a prominent guy in the Ng family style (8th or 9th the degree I think). And I remember seeing him featured in the ads for International Kung Fu or whatever it was called.
    Is he still teaching? Did he move or is he still in Lexington?
    Sifu John Dufresne is now back in his hometown of Leominster Mass. He teaches a small family of students in the traditional chinese way. "With love". His students don't fear him, they respect him for who/what he is. Some people know him as a brute, an arrogant egotistic person. That may have been true years ago. I should know, he's my brother and we fought daily. However his skills and knowledge of MA has brought him to an understanding that we are our own worst enemies.
    Here's a link to his website...
    http://www.tiendaowushu.com/

Well this has been a dead subject for a long time it seems but I just joined and had to put forth my two cents worth.

I Know Frank Sexton fairly well. I was a student of his for quite awhile and even had some private classes with John Ng. Frank is very good at his forms Drunken and Monkey ones for sure.
    Johnny is a wonderfull person and I have nothing but the highest respect for him I also know he wouldnt aprove of the stuff that some people have said on here.
    I also know just about all the students from Shaolin-Do that are in that area. The whole vibration Palm story didnt happen not one bit of truth in it. Since frank knows me and I live near him its not like im some random person who is just saying it for kicks.
    I actually like Frank most of the time but he has a bad habit of letting stuff get uhh twisted in the telling. I also hate how he says thing or dose things in Johnny Ng's name which are at best twisted a bit and at worse flat out untrue.

I left Franks class for a few reasons and I will pose them because he has a way of saying "so and so is bitter because of"
    #1 So much drama. I hated to hear about shaolin-do all the time
    #2 we paid for our classes and he canclled them so much that one whole month I got only 2 classes and it wasnt a one time thing either
    #3 his stories were so bad. He dated Katy Long or cynthia rothrock one its been awhile so i dont rember which. His cinabar palm story....
    #4 He riped people off. We earned our sash and went months with excuses on why we had not recived them. Johnny got blamed alot. Oh he has them and is writing stuff on them in chinese or putting a seal on them. needless to say none of us got them. I know of a few who paid for their uniforms and never got them the ended up quiting and he said to the class thry borrowed videos off me and never returned them.
    #5 The main reason I left was I went in to another school and spared some of the students and talked to the instructor. He aksed me to take his class and I told him I was taking franks becasue it was the cheapest one around and all I could afford. He told me he would train me for free. He even gave me one of his uniforms!
    I have been with him now for over a year and now I have a good job and I make him take my money. He is a great guy and proably losses more money teachin than he ever will make. He is in it for all the right reasons.

So Frank If you read this you know I have said nothing but the truth. If you have a problem with that you know how to reach me. Oh I wouldnt have posted this if you had not been out talking trash about my Instructor and The Shaolin Instructor and tearing down flyers hell. I even let the stuff I heard you said about me slide.

Originally posted by JuJitsuJoe
    I also know just about all the students from Shaolin-Do that are in that area. The whole vibration Palm story didnt happen not one bit of truth in it.
    Hey JuJitsuJoe, you know most of the SD students here in Somerset? Who are you .. do I know you? (Or are we speaking of two different occurrences of this story? There is the Walmart parking lot one I just saw above and another mention of it happening at a tournament here in Somerset. Sometimes these stories take on a life of their own.)

I spoke with Frank at a tournament last year and pretty much buried the hatchet. I prefer it that way. My teacher says good things about John Ng. Needless to say, I won't sit back and say everything is hunky dorey if the same ol crap gets stirred up here.
    Last edited by themeecer; 01-12-2005 at 03:57 PM.
    themeecer actually shares a lot of the passion that Bruce Lee had about adopting techniques into your own way of 'expressing yourself.'
    -shaolinarab
    (Nicest thing ever said about me on these boards.)

Hello there,
    I was referng to the walmart parking lot one here in Whitesburg. I should proably just let it go also. I just happen to be friends with the Shaolin-Do instructor up here Larry Adams. I have been to a seminar he had once and I was his test dummy in a video he was making.

Frank can be very friendly in person and I never said anything bad about his skill. He just let me down and quite a few other students in the past. He seems like two diffrent people the person he is face to face and then the one behind your back.

I had heard that alot of the crap was because he was in bad shape and in debt and was going through a divorce and that he had since straightened up and doing stuff right.
    I had not said anything like this for hmm quite a few years. My instructor was injured and didnt teach for awhile and I was going to go check him out at the request of one of his students. I emailed frank asking about his class and he wasnt very friendly so I just let it drop. then alitle over a year ago Dale started back and I have resumed training under him. Now I have friends tha take Hapkido, Ng style Kung Fu, and Shaolin-Do and we all have learned stuff from each other. Hell I dlove to learn Ng style kung Fu but the only teacher around here is Frank which is one of the reasons I put up with so much.
    Well he has been running his mouth again and we have just been letting it slide. I guess i had a moment of weakness when I read this utter crap and some of his other stuff on here an said stuff I shouldnt. I dont know I feeel like I should warn any prospective students but I also dont wanna be a d**k and seem as bad as that.
    You talk about family Dale is like a father to me. He helped me through a breakup with a girlfriend of seven years and so many other good deeds that the idea of someone bad mouthing him makes me almost insane.
    Dale Brown is my instructor you may know him he was in shaolin-Do a long time ago and taught it over in virginia untill politics and stuff made him quit.

Dale Brown is my instructor you may know him he was in shaolin-Do a long time ago and taught it over in virginia untill politics and stuff made him quit.
    Brings back memories, Joe. Dale is a class act no matter what art he is training in. He was like a brother to me when we trained together.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Thanks JP,
    You seem to have a bit of class going on yourself. Ive been checking out all the stuff on here and you always seem to be pretty positive and in your posts.
    Now themeecer whats this Golden Aligator Style? Heh heh!

Well there is politics in everything. That happens whenever you have a group of people involved and their egos get going.
    I have seen John Ng's students back in the '80s and you could tell that they practiced a lot. Looked good. You will never hear me say anything bad about them. Yeah, I do SD too but I also do BJJ. Noticed that you spelled it jujitsu instead of juijitu, does that mean you are doing the Japanese style?
    VOTE FOR PEDRO '08

Ever notice how virtually everyone agrees that 95% of all traditional schools are crap, but NOBODY ever admits to being in that 5%? Don't judge... your skill may suck also...
    Quote from SevenStar

Just call me the Shaolin Do Wet Blanket. Gene Ching

Good eye my friend.
    Yea, I spelled it jujitus instead of jiu jitsu. But Jiu Jitsu was also a spelling used by some of the Japenese schools from what ive read. Heck ive seen it Jujitsu Ju-jitsu Jiu-Jitsu I think there might be even a few more.

Yea its a Japanese style. My instructor has put some mma stuff in it so I wouldnt say its 100% original he has used stuff he learned from gorkor in some seminars and such.
    We do alot of stand up stuff wrist locks throws and grappling its pretty well rounded and I am quite happy with it. Do you do throws in BJJ?

As far as practice I know for a fact that Ng's students do that alot. Hell we were on our first rank forever. I mean it was like
    6 months before we tested for our first sash. We learned the basic kicks punchs and a few self defense and the most of it was this tiger crane duet thing that I still can break into even though I have not practiced it in about 3 to 4 years at least .

From what I've seen, Ng's tiger-crane starts in a Wing Chun like triangle stance rather than a horse stance like the version that I know, correct?
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Rigth a salute then the stance fists pulled in at your waist a low block with your right to a right block back to a low block back then a cross block something along thse lines i can show so much easier than type thats for sure. it has a ton of stuff in it even some long fist and elbows and such.

Rigth a salute then the stance fists pulled in at your waist a low block with your right to a right block back to a low block back then a cross block something along thse lines i can show so much easier than type thats for sure. it has a ton of stuff in it even some long fist and elbows and such.
    That sounds like the begining of every tiger-crane duet I've ever seen. I was wondering about the stance you are in while doing the initial blocking sequence. Horse? Triangle? Other?