Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yip Man and todays Wing Chun

Yip Man and todays Wing Chun

Just some thoughts so no flames please.

I was wondering if any of todays Wing Chun practitioners have surpassed the abilities of Yip Man. I know there's no way to tell, so again I'm just thinking out loud.

I always hear stories that sound like Yip Man was the end-all of Wing Chun information and ability. I think it's always a teacher's desire to have a student surpass his own abilities, so wouldn't it seem logical that some of todays practitioners may have surpassed what Yip Man could offer. Perhaps some of todays Wing Chun is better than what was studied in the Hong Kong days?

I've read that Yip Man was an inconsitent teacher. Some students getting different info and some that rarely touched hands with him.

Some instructors appear to adhere to Yip Man's teaching while others have evolved to incorporate other aspects. Some add grappling, and some add more of an internal development.

Thoughts or comments?

2. Re: Yip Man and todays Wing Chun

Originally posted by gnugear
    I know there's no way to tell, so again I'm just thinking out loud.
    Yawn

I thin it would be a good confirmation of your own skill and ability if you cold pass on your teachings to students and watch them grow to surpass you. There are alot of stories about Yip Man out there and who knows what is true and what is fiction. For my lineage, we do know that he impressed Leung Sheung, who was a much bigger man with several years of martial training.

Re: Re: Yip Man and todays Wing Chun

Originally posted by Alpha Dog

Yawn
    why does this bore you?

It does me!

Though a dozen red angel comments may emerge out of the void.

Just two so far yuanfen

Actually I find it an interesting subject. I hear alot of people say they cant/wont get as good as thier instructors or some of te other people higher up the wingchun tree, or I guess that would be lower down......anyway, why wouldnt you shoot to be atleast as good as your instructor or others who have good skill? If you were to mention taht you thought someone might be better then yip man at a wingchun get together glasses would drop, and the whole room would be staring at you like you were an idiot. To me, if you didnt want to be as good as your instructor or even better, then it is like going to shoot archery and not aiming at the target because you dont think you can hit it!
    I am not saying you will get better but I think goals like that are admirable if applied respectfully.

Originally posted by yuanfen
    It does me!

Why is this a boring topic!?

Are people content to think that nothing is better than what was embodied in a man until 1972?

... maybe it is, so why bother ... yawn

You not only have his personal fighting skills which we know bits and pieces of....but the kind of detailed(teacher's) legacyof the art he left behind with his good students is so formidable that we are still at the phase of discovering things about the art rather than surpassing them. Learning how to learn.Only a little over 50 years of general public exposure to his personal view of the art.We are still linking together the various perspectives of those who knew him.New paradigms dont supplant earlier paradigms very easily.

You have a good point on Yip Man stuff, he did spread it out over many sources and now the project of sorting it out is left to later generations. I think Yip Man has been partially deified however and his myth is starting to outreach reality. Like any good CMA master, the stories grow with the seperation of time and audience. wingchun itself is young when compared to some arts yet no one is sure of its origins.......

I bet there are a *few* who have surpassed Yip Man in fighting ability, but maybe not just using WC/WT. They might have previous experience in wrestling and use that to there advantage. However, I don't think the average Sifu is better than Yip Man. Then again what can we compare them to? Yip Man is no longer alive to share with us, and there are few video records of him doing Wing Chun.
    I have a signature.

I don't know, so I'm just playing Devil's Advocate. Sure Yip Man was awesome, I don't doubt that, but do you think there's any of "exaggerating the master's abilities" going on?

Like I said. I dunno.

How old was Yip Man when he started training in MA? Wing Chun? Was WC his only art?

IronFist
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wujidude
    [B]The following biography from www.wingchunkuen.com indicates that Yip Man began learning from his first Wing Chun teacher Chan at about 13 years of age. I've never seen any references showing that Yip Man studied any other martial art before he took up Wing Chun, nor that he studied another art after beginning Wing Chun.

Wujidude, I'm sure i read in one of the popular articles, ipman knew alot about the local hongkong styles, but strictly practised wingchun...I have no idea where i read this!

Originally posted by yuanfen
    You not only have his personal fighting skills which we know bits and pieces of....but the kind of detailed(teacher's) legacyof the art he left behind with his good students is so formidable that we are still at the phase of discovering things about the art rather than surpassing them. Learning how to learn. Only a little over 50 years of general public exposure to his personal view of the art. We are still linking together the various perspectives of those who knew him. New paradigms don't supplant earlier paradigms very easily.
    Hi Yuanfen,

Good solid points as always.

God knows how he acquired his knowledge, but I don't believe it possible that anyone has surpassed Yip Man's knowledge. As for his ability, perhaps a Wing Chun practitioner of greater size and strength could have beaten him in a fight after a comparable amount of training, but we can only conjecture since none of us knows all that Yip Man knew. And, if Gnugear means to question Yip Man's ability as a teacher, as opposed to him as a fighter, wouldn't it follow then that Yip would have universally less qualified followers, so gnugear's question would be answered with a resounding "no."

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Who here knew Yip Man sifu and touched hands with him? Who then touched hands with every other WCK practitioner? Who then factored out any personal differences and came up with an acurate assessment of where everyone stands in relation to Yip Man?

Anyone? If not, its just an onanistic exercise, and as others have pointed out, a fairly boring, potentially problematic one.

>> but I don't believe it possible that anyone has surpassed Yip Man's knowledge.

See the problem with stuff like this? Some people on this forum come from lineages with no connection to Yip Man sifu. Should they then take that as an insult, and must a 700 post flame war ensue?

RR

We all know what happens when someone can't make the differences between respect,appreciation and...Idolatry!