Thread: YKS/YM/TWC confusion

YKS/YM/TWC confusion

I'm not trying to start a flame war, but I dont post that often and I was thinking about something lastnite.

William Cheung says that his wing chun is the true wing chun, and that the other version Yip Man tought was just modified WC from CWS. But Ive read alot about the Leung Bik story just being made up by Lee Man, Yip Man's friend. (I got this information off of a Wong Kiu site)

So if what Yip Man tought everyone else is just modified, than why does the YKS lineage resemble the YM lineage so much?
    If i have my history right, YKS was never a part of the Yip Man lineage but learned from Fung Siu Ching. So if his WC is so similar to Yip Mans WC, than how could what William Cheung teaches be the true Wing Chun? Also, I noticed from some of the pictures in Complete Wing Chun that Traditional Wing Chun somewhat resembles Hung Suen wing chun.

Anyways, I hope maybe someone can shed light on my confusion

Jesse

2. Face

nuff said

I'm confused too. You seem to be asking a question, what is it exactly?

Few people take William Cheung's claims regarding his part in WC history seriously. They are, well, unbelieveable. I'm from TWC lineage, and I've never believed them.

Leung Bik's existence is not exactly historically confirmed either.

There ARE similarities between TWC and HFY/Hung Suen. Whether they are superficial or deep is a matter of heated debate without conclusion. If there were a relationship there, those who would REALLY know aren't talking.

Don't worry about this stuff, no good will come of it. Just train hard in your chosen style.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hi,

Everyone has their own stories but to me, most if not all WCK in Foshan looks fairly similar (the Leung Sheung line of Yip Man WCK resembles it the most to me). Leung Jan's Gulao village teachings also look fairly similar (same basic positions, hands, etc.) Even the Cho family WCK of Panyu is fairly similar. In the old days, everyone knew everyone. Yuen Kay-San and Yip Man would take tea at the restaurant where Cheung Bo and Sum Nung worked, once Cho On visited, later the Fung's came to visit Foshan and Guangzhou, etc. It was a smaller world, a different time.

Like Andrew said, however, don't sweat the stories. Just find something you enjoy, you can use, and train the heck out of it.

RR