Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interested in responses...Chi Sau article

Interested in responses...Chi Sau article

"Some Wing Chun practitioners try to mix Chi Sau with sparring or vice versa, thinking this will improve their Wing Chun or fighting ability. Someone who is good at fighting or sparring will make you look bad if you try to do Chi Sau while sparring. Use Chi Sao as an exercise to make you a better fighter, not while you are fighting or sparring"
    Just interested to see what people think of this. I have spoken to a few people (name witheld to protect the ignorant ) who firmly believe that Chi Sau is almost indistinguishable from a real fight. That they would immediately attempt to Chi Sau in the event of a confrontation. And yes, none of these guys have ever been in a fight. I have also heard people tout that if your Chi Sau is good then your fighting ability will be good.

I think that's a load of bollocks.

What do you think?
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

What the hell is "Bollocks"? Shit

It is a colloquialism for "I think these people are in error".
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

Straight Blast
    I think if someone is good at chisao they would be a good fighter. And if they weren't it wouldn't take a lot before they were, e.g a bit of real fighting experience to lessen nervousness and adreneline dumps etc.

Hi all,

Make no mistake - Chi Sau is not fighting as such, although gor sau can often be very close to sparring ! Chi Sau is an excellent bridge towards sparring, and can build a great deal of confidence as well as skill. I find that the biggest problem with Chi Sau is that you are starting from a position of contact - thus you are already in a position to use your WC skills and stick to your opponent. A fight starts with no contact, and so the key factor in how the fight will develop is in who makes the contact first and uses their skil to maintain contact and obtain a superior advantage. Yes, we all know that Chun Kil is there to 'bridge the gap', but the key is to actually use those skills in a free situation.

It is important to aleays keep a reality check when practising chi sau. I have seen many students who are excellent at chi sau, but who shy away once contact is lost and the situation become 'free' so to speak. I think there are a number of ways (IMO) that you can gear chi sau towards eventual sparring.

1. Hard drilling - one-on-one set drilling using extremely strong attacks which are not pulled. Although you know which attack is coming, learning to deal with realistic speed and force will undoubtedly help you get a feel for more realistic encounters.

2. Loss of contact in chi sau - during a chi sau session ask one of your students to push the other away and the other has to regain contact asap . If you disengage at different angles you can begin to try and use your chum kiu skills to regain your position. You can also practise these drills from a standing position to. Difficult to explain - ill have to post some mpegs !!

For anexcellent article on Chi Sau , go to the following links:

http://www.wingchun.dk/bibliotek/win...ingChun_uk.htm

Regards, Stuart
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

Straight Blast: I agree 100 per cent...

/Cheers

Depends how you approach it. Chisao is a means to an end, the end is hitting the opponent as soon as possible.

Why do hours of chisao? So you build sensitivity, reflexes, coordination. But why do you build these skills? So you can hit the opponent as soon and as much as possible.

If you approach a real fight in the hope that you will get contact with an opponents arms, and thus will easily defeat him, then it is extremely likely your opponent will not cooperate. When you attack your opponent, and your attacks are deflected by the opponents arms, that is when you need chisao, and then only the minimum possible to hit the guy. If he is not deflecting your attacks, why chisao at all? Just hit!

You may only need a single tan or gong or redirection or smart piece of footwork to recover a line on your opponent, so it is likely you will only be using your chisao skills for a split second, a tiny proportion of the fight, then you are straight back to the hitting. If you try to chisao your opponent, you will lose. If you try to hit your opponent, and use chisao only when appropriate, you will do better. And may even win
    Last edited by Frank Exchange; 07-11-2002 at 03:18 AM.
    Your lineage may vary.

8. Bollocks!

Originally posted by sunkuen
    What the hell is "Bollocks"? Shit
    (from Cambridge International Dictionary of English)

bollocks (BODY PART)
    plural noun
    BRITISH AND AUSTRALIAN SLIGHTLY TABOO SLANG
    testicles
    Ouch! That caught/hit me right in the bollocks!

bollocks (NONSENSE)
    noun [U]
    BRITISH SLIGHTLY TABOO SLANG
    nonsense
    What he said was a load of bollocks.
    Bollocks to that (=that's nonsense)!

Question

Hi Frank Exchange - off the topic a bit, would youmind telling me where you train in hertfordshire?? I have had a student join me recently who wants to know of a good club when he goes back to uni in Herts? Can you help? I seem to remember you train WSL method don't you.

E-mail me privately if you wish to do so on welshwingchun@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers, Stuart

Hi All

Good call Frank.

why chase the hands when it's easier to dink the head!!

BTW

Bollocks: the ultimate retort.......totally un answerable.

Perhaps my new sig. " Wing Chun....anything else is Bollocks"

regards

Dave F.
    'wing chun men do it with sticky hands'

If your fighting and you make contact then you use your skills built in chi-sau.
    Its important not to TRY and chase hands. Striking will finish your opponent, not redirecting!

Important abilities are entry into contact (ie maintaining structure) and ability to stick to them so they cant get away as you attack, and keep the pressure on them constantly to wear them down.

Chi-sau does NOT equate to fighting. The objectives are far removed from each other. One is to learn and improve. The other is to smash somone.
    Last edited by S.Teebas; 07-11-2002 at 06:27 AM.
    S.Teebas

We agree on this at least S.Teebs !

Cheers, Stu

I thought I might throw this into the mix and see what everyone thinks..

When you are fighting, always attack the closest target, and attack it in a straight line. If the enemy's arm is closer to you than his face, forget the face and attack the arm. If you attack the target closest to you, it will more than likely give way to more desirable targets.
    Comments?

I agree.

But, strickly speaking, "true" WC really wouldent advocate or teach this, perhaps maybe at so-called "advanced" levels - Maybe.
    strike!

I'm pretty sure that if I tried to "chi sau" in a "real" fight, I'd get smoked. Ever thought what would happen if you tried to chi sau with someone who wouldn't do it back??