Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interested in responses...Chi Sau article

Thats pretty alien to my way of thinking.

On of Wong Shun Leung's favourite sayings was "Fight the Person, not the Arms".
    Your lineage may vary.

Chi Sao "is the bridge between the forms and real fighting". Chi Sao is an exercise, much like sparring in boxing is not boxing in a real fight. Chi Sao in itself can become an acquired skill in which one can master the movements. However, the good Chi Sao player who is also the good fighter is the one who masters not only the movements, but the martial attributes of the Chi Sao such as balance, sensitivity, relaxation, timing, distance awareness and coordination. These attributes in conjunction with the system principles of the centerline theory (shortest distance between two points is a straight line), facing (shoulders square with your target), equal hands, and hand replacement support techniques. . In a real fight or combat situation, throwing your hands into center should and will happen. Trying to roll with your opponent after that, like the exercise, will never happen. Chi Sao is a platform that allows you hours and hours of study and practice so that you can produce a desired response within seconds.

A little Kuen Kuit here. The only reason you Chi Sao is because your partner is offering something on the centerline, which in the exercise is cooperative to some degree. "If nothing is there, your hands should go forward...".

Train hard, train smart. Perfect practice makes perfect.....

Chi Sau is important to being able to fight because it gives you the ability to control yourself, control your opponent, and listen well. If you do not want to be a good fighter then you will not blow off chi sau. If you want to be a good fighter, practice wingchun diligently and focus on those three things because those are th gifts of Chi Sau. If you do not havethem you will not fight well.
    You must also keep in mind that without control of your root, structure, pressure and elbow position in chi sau you will not be able to control these things in a fight. When the pressure is on the worst of your faults will come out. Chi Sau helps us to learn to control these things.
    You dont obviously expect to roll with someone in a fight, but Chi Sau will provide you with all of the qualities that you need to successfuly fight or spar.

You can fight well without chi sao. Heck, you can fight well without WCK or any MA. Fighting well is not the point, IMHO. Fighting *better* is the point. Chi Sao can help with that, as can other elements in the systematic progression of WCK...

RR

word to that
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I I took the one less travelled
    And that has made all the difference

Chi Sau without Resistance

Originally posted by Spark
    I'm pretty sure that if I tried to "chi sau" in a "real" fight, I'd get smoked. Ever thought what would happen if you tried to chi sau with someone who wouldn't do it back??
    Yeah, he'd get hit! LOL! Where do your hands go if there's no resistance?
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

You must also keep in mind that without control of your root, structure, pressure and elbow position in chi sau you will not be able to control these things in a fight.
    Red5Angel,

What would you say are the differences between root and structure?
    S.Teebas

No real differences S. Teebas you need good structure to have a solid root.