Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Quiz time! What do you know about Carl Dechiara?

Thumbs down What do I know about Carl Dechiara?

I heard that a Torontonian swept the floor with Carl's ass.

Carl's Origens

Originally posted by kungfu cowboy
    Well, it seems like somebody had advertising in mind!
    In the beginning, there was a great Wing Chun void. Carl reached down and separated the "good" and the "bad," and this was good. Then, arriving from the mother ship, he waved his hand, and up from the pits of Hell, the city of Cleveland arose. And it was good. But, alas, in the land of the mini sodas, there was a lack. Many prayed, and many prostitituted their Wing Chun. Carl sent a man, one lone man, to offer salvation for the city of Minneapolis if they would only accept him as their true God. And it was good.
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Originally posted by kungfu cowboy
    Well, it seems like somebody had advertising in mind!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    An occasional rule of advertising: Its better to be talked about
    than not to be talked about.
    PS. Of course there are corollaries to many rules.
    Yuanfen
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Genesis by Grendel

Then, arriving from the mother ship, he waved his hand, and up from the pits of Hell, the city of Cleveland arose.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    A credible Genesis...but having lived in Kent Ohio once upon a time and tried to avoid nearby Cleveland as much as possible...it was a pretty deep urban pit that didn't know its dan tien--- are you sure it has arisen?
    Still stuck with old lard and french fries isnt it? No gravy and curds!
    yuanfen

Originally posted by yuanfen
    At the carnival never did see the wares but the barker is ubiquitous.
    Clearly, by barker you don't mean Alpha Dog, but the word's etymology is clear.

Your metaphors slay me. Are you related to Beowulf?

As for Cleveland, I'm not surprised it such a pit. Over marketing will do that.

My friend in public relations used to say, "Marketing: where the rubber meets the sky."

Regards,

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

5. I am familiar with the term "barker" and as it pertains to carnies -- nicest people you'll ever meat.

Yuanfen, that is an old term!

Alpha Dog's Evil Twin

Originally posted by Alpha Dog
    carnies -- nicest people you'll ever meat.
    Alpha Dog,
    Are you harboring an evil cannabalistic twin like on that episode of X-Files?

We're getting off topic. I want to hear about the Torontonian who swept the floor with Carl's ass per Whipping Hand's post.

Whip: Can you fill us in?

7. mmm, Scully...

Re: Alpha Dog's Evil Twin

Originally posted by Grendel

(snip)

We're getting off topic. I want to hear about the Torontonian who swept the floor with Carl's ass per Whipping Hand's post.

Whip: Can you fill us in?
    What does it matter? I'm sure Carl has had his ass kicked by other WC guys from time to time, probably beginning with his own teacher. There's always someone better. What matters is what someone does with the lesson.

Ken Chung has had his oats fed to him, I'm sure, and not necessarily just by Leung Sheung. And despite the loyalty and articulateness of Ken Chung's students around the country (and the volubility of one particular great grandstudent) . . . Ken isn't necessarily "the best Wing Chun teacher in America" (as the testimonial by one of his students at www.wingchun.com puts it). Ray Van Raamsdonk, who has been around as a student and teacher for a long time and has seen the best of Wing Chun, thinks very highly of Ken Chung but rates Emin Boztepe even more highly as a teacher (see http://www.wingchunkuen.com/journal/..._boztepe.shtml).

Come on, people. Why engage r5A on his own terms? Just ignore him, don't post if you're getting so worked up. It's time away from practice. If you really don't want to chat with him, don't post, don't read threads he initiates. Let the "Replies" column show "0" by his posts.

I personally like some of the questions and issues he frames, even if he is a little much sometimes. As kj said, enjoy the drama.

Why engage r5A on his own terms?
    Because it's so ****ed entertaining. Surely nobody takes this seriously.

Anyone on a mission to make r5a take a more measured perspective is on as pointless, futile and demented a mission as Red's own. I'm just having fun wit it.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

errmmm, Carl who?

Also preferred:

No "holier than thou", "I'm better than this", "Let's be above this child's play" posts.

(such as wujidude's)
    Love is the answer.

Originally posted by wujidude

Ray Van Raamsdonk, who has been around as a student and teacher for a long time and has seen the best of Wing Chun, thinks very highly of Ken Chung but rates Emin Boztepe even more highly as a teacher (see http://www.wingchunkuen.com/journal/..._boztepe.shtml).
    That's the impression I got from the article too, until Ray made some clarifications on another mailing list. He believes that both guys are good in their respective approaches to Wing Chun. And because they both approach it so differently (which would result in a different teaching methodologies to suit their own approaches), it isn't so obvious which one is "better."

But you make a good point. There are people out there who are unimpressed and what Ken does (gasp!) , even after having met him and felt him. And that's perfectly fine. Everybody has different preferences, and there's no reason why we all have to agree on who's good and who's not. We can learn from our disagreements as well. Just do whatever makes you happy.

Zhuge Liang

wujidude :
    I dont think everyone is worked up anout red 5 or taking him seriously or arguing with him on his terms. It is way past that stage. Unfortunately his arrogance combined with his ignorance has turned his posts into absurd monologues and laughable caricatures of discussion.. Carl should give hima ribbon though for the advance work- if thats the kind of public relations he wants.

grendel:
    Beowulf is a much later reincarnation- my karma unfortunately in that cycle made me an Englishman briefly<g>. But I have made amends since then-I think. Maybe not. After all here I am on a forum with our most frequent poster. Karma has its humor.

Originally posted by yuanfen

grendel:
    Beowulf is a much later reincarnation- my karma unfortunately in that cycle made me an Englishman briefly<g>. But I have made amends since then-I think. Maybe not. After all here I am on a forum with our most frequent poster. Karma has its humor.
    Yuanfen,

I cannot imagine what you did wrong to be translocated in time and place into an Englishman who then slays an innocent beast or two. That's between you and Karma. And yet, don't we owe a debt to the English for the lingua franca and the love of freedom they seem to have instilled in their former colonies?

This forum is a lot of fun, I admit and its a tad more civil than VTAA, and where else could I hear fiction like "Don Chisao" or Wujidude's "Torontonian" kickazz sidekick of the Lone Ranger, no doubt played by Ray Van Raamsdonk. (I still love you, Ray. Kemo sabe, Ray) Heck, I didn't even know Torontonian was a word.

If things get out of hand again, we can blame Red5Angel AND Canada.

Regards,

Grendel's origin.

Did you get your name from the original or the (who the hell wrote the) eponymous 20th C book from his perspective?... By one of the post-beats...?? Murdered...?
    I preferred that take, myself.

Edit: John Gardner. Also wrote Hell's Angels? Then killed by them...? Or am I confused again?
    Last edited by Mr Punch; 07-14-2002 at 07:37 AM.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan