Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Tai Yim & Hung Fut

brothernumber9 Guest

clarification

to clarify my previous post since my grammar isn't very good. I have very limited Knowledge in Hung Fut and No Knowledge of iron tendon form other than that it exists and incorporates 5 elements etc.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Hey brother#9, don't worry about it. I appreciate the info. After many a learning session on how the elements, taoist & buddhist theories, qi, and traditional chinese medicine relate to Hung Gar & other martial arts, I'm definitely open to the ideas. I can't wait to have someone sit down and relate the theory to the physical; but I'm not expecting that for quite some years yet.

I was at Taiji Legacy in 2000 (and caught the tail end of 2001). I remember seeing you Hung Fut guys there, and my mental images are a bit different than the video clips on the web site. Is the performance team a lot different than regular class?

Any information you guys give me is just frosting on the cake. I'm pretty much sold, and am biding my time, but it's nice to be able to collect as much info as possible- assuming u guys don't mind.
    Thanks!

honorisc Guest
    Basically, not a lot different, my say~. The performance team seems basically made-up of students who would like to compete and participate in the handset class, weapons class or sparring classes. They, whomever, merely mentions to an instructor or one called Sifu that they would like to compete. They decide what they would like to do in the competition.

They're the same things; just told where emphasis is best for tournaments.

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Oh okay I get it.

I'm doing my best to be patient til I get there. :)

A question about the horse stance- from the pix on the site, it looks a bit wider than the version I was taught before. Do you think this is just a bad pic? Should I keep practising the narrower horse?

Thanks you guys for bearing with all these silly questions. Anybody who makes themselves known to me in Baltimore, I'll make it up to yah. :)

honorisc Guest

Whatever one gets out of whatever, whatever whatever.

Keep your stance as you do it.

It is likely, a finely done stance. Don't throw yourself off for an uncertainty. At least, not this uncertainty. Keep practicing your narrower than in the pics stance. My say.

They haven't been silly. I would say don't stop asking, but I could use that breath for something useful. I would think you wouldn't stop asking yet, if you had any in mind to ask, because you are welcome(d).

Very some such,perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

bean curd Guest

wider stance (ma)

this stance is called sei ping tai ma.

it is a larger stance. there is nothing hidden in its reasoning, but the ma is used to bring certain strengths and designs to the player.

i totally agree with "no know", if it isn't something you have been use too or have come across, stay with what you know and undertstand.

"don't throw yourself off for an uncertainty", wise words, "no know", well done

Lost_Disciple Guest
    Actually I think I'm pretty much comfortable for now. I think one of the main reasons I've been asking so many questions and trying to learn so much about the style is because, unlike Hung Gar, Wing Chun, Northern Mantis, and some other styles, there's very little Hung Fut detailed in movies, magazines (outside of the few Tai Yim articles), nor in the few demonstration tapes I've seen. The best part of that is that I go in there with no preconceived notions about what the style is or isn't. I've picked up some valuable info here from you guys which I'm sure will be expounded upon much more after I've gotten into the training.

Thanks again for all the info. I really can't wait to meet some of you in October/November. Until then I'll just try to get in shape