Thread: Question to Rene about his book - re Pan Nam Wing Chun

Question to Rene about his book - re Pan Nam Wing Chun

Hi!

This is a question for Rene, or anyone else in the know:

In "Complete Wing Chun", Pan Nam Wing Chun under "Forms and Training", you mention that each form begins with the opening movement which symbolises tye revolutionary slogan "fan qing fu Ming" (overthrow the Qing dynasty and return the Ming dynasty).

Im probably being thick and know the answer to this but could you explain which movement this is? Is it the open hand and closed fist salutation or am I barking up the wrong path?

With regard to the salutation, in the many books I have, I cannot seem to find an explanation of its meaning, and it seems to be performed in different ways (either the strking area of the closed fist against the open palm, or the thumb and rest of the knuckles against the open hand). I would really appreciate some enlightenment over these movements, after all these years of training Ive always taken them for granted and never questioned the history of them.

Many thanks
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

I guess I must be Dumb!

But not as dumb as Jade (for those that are Brits on here)

Could someone please enlighten me...please???
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Thumbs up

i don't think anyone could be THAT dumb

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

The one you're thinking of sounds like the common one proliferating even non-Chinese systems nowadays with one hand a fist (meant to represent Yat, the Sun) and the other a palm (meant to represent Yuet, the Moon), together symbolizing the character Ming (Bright). This one can be found in Wushu, traditional Kung-Fu, Ke(n)(m)po, etc.

Pan Nam's, if memory serves (and it's been a while since I've seen any Pan system, so it might not is a variation on this, done a little differently, and I believe they had a little more symbolism.

This stuff is part of Chinese culture, involving a great deal of tradition, history, and folk-lore. Even in the Yip Man and other systems where its no longer stressed, you can find a lot of symbolism in the first few movements of the art.

Rgds,

RR

Rene sez:Even in the Yip Man and other systems where its no longer stressed, you can find a lot of symbolism in the first few movements of the art.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    A bit of an overgeneralization IMO Rene- some Ip Man lines
    regularly use the fist and the palm motion in opening, closing and in greeting and in entering and leaving the kwoon.

Joy,

Sorry, you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about the fist/palm at that point.

RR

What is the Subject?

Originally posted by reneritchie
    Joy,

Sorry, you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about the fist/palm at that point.

RR
    Hi Rene,

What are you talking about then?

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

Re: What is the Subject?

Originally posted by Grendel

Hi Rene,

What are you talking about then?

Regards,
    Hi Rene,

Aren't you going to clarify your previous answer? Mine was a sincere question.

Regards,

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Many thanks!

To one and all!
    Alasdair Kirby
    VingTzun Concepts
    www.vingtzun.co.uk

Hey Grendel,

No worries dude, just despite how it seems, I'm not on here all the time

There is specific symbolism beyond the common fist/palm sun/moon Ming salute and while some branches make explicit mention of this (eg. Cho), IMHO you can find it in almost all branches.

Rgds,

RR

Originally posted by reneritchie
    Hey Grendel,

No worries dude, just despite how it seems, I'm not on here all the time

There is specific symbolism beyond the common fist/palm sun/moon Ming salute and while some branches make explicit mention of this (eg. Cho), IMHO you can find it in almost all branches.

Rgds,

RR
    Thanks.