Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: 12 Monkeys

OT: 12 Monkeys

Has anyone seen this movie? wtf happened at the end? since the child version of himself watched that adult version die, is the child going to do it all again in 30 years?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

yes, thats what i got from seeing it, one big time loop. which bruce willis character could only half remember.
    [i]Originally posted by [Censored]

And I would never ever train at any cult school with a "wall of shame".

that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again. that was such a good movie. I think i'll watch it again right now. And then again. and again . and again. and again.
    |) /-\ | | |
    | / \ |_| |__

Don't try to think about it too hard - you're brain might explode.

Like loops? Check out Lost Highway by David Lynch. Whao!
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

that's what i thought at first...it'll be a big time loop and bruce willis' character would be trapped doing the same thing over and over again. however, watching it again, i noticed at the end of the movie when the long haired bad dude sat down in the plane, the old lady sitting next to him was the old lady from the future. so i think she would have stopped him from unleashing the virus and thus prevent it all from happening again. make sense?
    "It's all fun and games til someone loses an eye. Then it's just fun."

could be... They did tell him that since he had succeeded in the first part of his mission that they would send someone else
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

i dont think bruce willis was stuck in a loop - cuz he died

however, he did cause his own death in a sense, because of himself seeing himself as a child and all of that
    Travis

structure in motion

right...and the child will grow up....he will become the bruce that he saw die.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Well, actually, according to einstein only those oberserving from a seperate point in space-time would percieve any kind of loop. All the players in this film were part of a particular time line. In willis' time line it was only once that he died. He didn't die over and over again. He died in a relative time that a former self saw. This is exactly why he was chosen. He was there at the correct moment in time to be a focal point for the scenario to work in the favor of the scientists. The reason in the plot you see the other scientist in the past along with willis is to pick up a unmutated strain of the virus that killed off all of humanity. They were not able to prevent anything because they were following a particular timeline along with willis. They also knew if they tried to tinker with the past too much they would set up an alternate, thereby, uncontrollable set of future events that would set up a failing scenario and set up a true time paradox ala the going back and killing your grandpa exercise. Which would set up a truely inescapable loop. No virus no time machine, no time machine no virus, and so on.

These are concepts based on linieal time. However quantum time suggests that if we go back and killed our grandpa we might not altogether disappear but exist on a realtive timeline, coexisting yet outside of the current one where your family does no exist. So not really a time loop but a time deviation. Which is the basis for the movie Minority report. In which alternate futures are possible due to events that have not happened yet that may change an outcome. so the future you see ahead might be one a number of relative yet separate possibilities.

Mind numbing isn't it.

NO It is an Endless loop!!!

The laydy on the Plane was NOT trying to stop Teh virus (they Couldnt and said toso) she was trying to Get A pure sameple so they Could make a antidoate

Burce willis did His job by ponting out the Airpot

It is an endels loop (Kinda!!!)

12 monkeys

Those of you who thought that the film was a loop didn't watch the film very well. There is no loop just the fact that he goes back in time to his childhood to prevent the scientist from spreading the virus. Once he does that he dies and alloows himself as a child to grow up in the world without having to go through life in the posy apocalyptic phase and die a natural death.

the virus already escaped when he opened the vial…

The best line in 12 Monkeys

When asked what job she has...

The old lady on the plane says: "I'm in insurance."

That sentence sums up the whole movie.

Best film of the year, and if I remember correctly, was released in the UK a few months before Se7en... another great film.

*There is no Rene. Understand that, then bend yourself.* Rene Ritchie

*I just meet what I would be if I wasd a hot women attracted to me* - Unity (posted on Kung Fu forum)

* You want more fight? (Jackie Chan)

yeah Sun, I thought about that too... he opened it at the airport Iwas also under the impression that the strand was not mature though...

on a sidenote, I started the 12 monkeys thread and I got the 12th post....

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    Well, actually, according to einstein only those oberserving from a seperate point in space-time would percieve any kind of loop. All the players in this film were part of a particular time line. In willis' time line it was only once that he died. He didn't die over and over again. He died in a relative time that a former self saw. This is exactly why he was chosen. He was there at the correct moment in time to be a focal point for the scenario to work in the favor of the scientists. The reason in the plot you see the other scientist in the past along with willis is to pick up a unmutated strain of the virus that killed off all of humanity. They were not able to prevent anything because they were following a particular timeline along with willis. They also knew if they tried to tinker with the past too much they would set up an alternate, thereby, uncontrollable set of future events that would set up a failing scenario and set up a true time paradox ala the going back and killing your grandpa exercise. Which would set up a truely inescapable loop. No virus no time machine, no time machine no virus, and so on.

These are concepts based on linieal time. However quantum time suggests that if we go back and killed our grandpa we might not altogether disappear but exist on a realtive timeline, coexisting yet outside of the current one where your family does no exist. So not really a time loop but a time deviation. Which is the basis for the movie Minority report. In which alternate futures are possible due to events that have not happened yet that may change an outcome. so the future you see ahead might be one a number of relative yet separate possibilities.

Mind numbing isn't it.
    Dayum...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter