Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Continuous Sparring"

"Continuous Sparring"

Hi all, I've been asked to participate in a tournament two weeks from now at St. Andrew's here in Chicago. The sparring catagory for black belts is "Continuous sparring," but it's point sparring. A long time ago I used to do point-sparring tournaments, how does this differ? Any advice? (besides making sure the judges are from my kwoon, that's obvious )

P.S. Black happens to be the color of the belt that I use to hold up my pants, funny thing, strange way to make divisions. Has anyone else heard of this color-coding scheme? They might as well divide us by our last names, well - I digress.

as far as i understand, target areas and techniques are the same as in point sparring. but rather than break you up after a successful 'score', they just keep track of it and let you keep going.

means you've got to have a better defense, since it's no longer just a matter of who gets there first.

stuart b.

It's a continuos game of tag, only it has enough rules to insure injuries happen.

Even as a training drill, I don't like it as the rules create too artificial of an environment, and that environment only exists for the game, not to teach something.

Man, I miss the old Bangkok Brawls at St. Andrews! Are things still going on there since Tom Letuli died?
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

I understand that there have been several exhibitions at St. Andrew's, including a Letuli memorial event. I know there is an event there this weekend that is full-contact kickboxing or something. Those events are usually in the Gym, our little tournament will be in another building the "Center."
    You can always call our school Kung Fu Academy of Chicago, it's in the yellow pages. Those guys keep up on that stuff, I just hear bits and pieces since I'm studying semi-privately.

Yeah, it should be fun. What I remember from point-sparring tournaments is that it is fun, useless, and you always get hurt. I used to win those thingies so I'll probably go back to some of my old TKD tactics, probably would serve me well considering the rules.

-FJ
    Last edited by fa_jing; 07-15-2002 at 01:50 PM.

It's a continuos game of tag,
    heavy handed tag... but tag none the less... the last Continuous sparring event that i witnessed was quite brutal and bloody for something that was supposed to be considered "light"...

Continous sparring requires better stamina in the participants. I know the tournaments down here also score the fighters on how well they last the bout. If one guy dies towards the end and the other guy is still going, guy #2 gets some points. So, it ain't enough to clock someone a few times early on and then fade away. That said the rules may differ in your part of the world.

Just make sure your fitness is up and you don't fade toward the end. Good luck!
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

"If one guy dies towards the end and the other guy is still going, guy #2 gets some points. So, it ain't enough to clock someone a few times early on and then fade away."

Reply: Which sums up exactly why I don't like it, it is too far removed from reality. The rules create an 'artificial' contact sport that ceases to develop good habits for fighting, and is almost gaurenteed to produce bad habits.
    --- Napoleon

"You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

It's a sport/ non-leatal contest. Who cares if it mirrors reality or not, nothing mirrors reality except reality.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Tournaments are never going to mirror reality. Not even NHB.

I'm not a fan of either point-sparring or continous but each to their own.

That said, I also think they are a good way to play around with other MA students in a controlled environment.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

'artificial' contact sport

Reply: Which sums up exactly why I don't like it, it is too far removed from reality. The rules create an 'artificial' contact sport that ceases to develop good habits for fighting, and is almost gaurenteed to produce bad habits. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sounds like a Boxer would kick some butt.

Ever spar with a real Boxer?

Continuous sparring sucks horse****.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

So does rolling around with sweaty men in your PJs!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I'm with MP on this one.

Bong- Boxing is not continuos sparring - boxing ALLOWS for contact. But it is still highly limited in the tools it builds. But because of the allowance for contact, you do not inculcate habits that are as bad as those developed by continuos point sparring.

Um, yeah, I've boxed, and the kwoon I used to own had a pro boxing team working out of it. There plenty of threads about the benefits of boxing training, but this is not one of them. I think you are confused about what continuos sparring is - a boxer would do well UNTIL he got disqualified for excessive contact!
    --- Napoleon

Hey, are we talking about Ralph Pelouso's Pam Ams?

The belt coloring thing is his attempt to standardise a leveling system because he is an open tournament with schools from all over competing from all styles. It allows him to keep some organasation.

Basically, if your at the intermediate level, you need to wear a purple sash advanced, Black and beginner white yellow etc.

If your school has a different ranking system, then you need to buy the appropriate belt or sash ahead of time.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Monkey slap

How does continous point sparring make bad habits? It's better than stoping after you tap the guy. I mean, in a real fight, I'm not going to stop trying to pummel you just because I get hit. Unless you knock me out. I'm going to keep going.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a