Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Continuous Sparring"

Yeah, because of the low turnout they moved things along and the last event was over by 2:30. Another KFO guy named Slo Mo apparently stopped by at 3:00, we were already gone. Next time hopefully everyone will be able to participate. The venue is great, it's CMA orientated, yet open to other styles, and there are various catagories like wu shu, etc. And yes, there is continuous sparring with throws! That's enough to be a draw in itself. I'll let you all know when the next tournament is.

Great job fa jing. But where'd you learn to kick the head? Aren't WC fighters supposed to explode or something if they do that?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Hey Fa Jing - Could you have your teacher contact MJ? I'd like my school to join the tournament org. We'll bring fighters to the next one. It'll probably a joint team from my club and the mountain.

I'll also call my classmates from the ACSCA to see if they want to play.

Why not? It's not quite San Da, but it'll help the juniors get used to playing.

WD - can supply the contact info if you don't have it.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Let's do that. If the ACSCA gets involved, maybe we could get a Shuai Chiao mini-tourney involved. Or dare I ask, an ACSCA rules tourney!
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

If you guys get enough players, you can even have your own forms division, maybe influence the sparring rules, etc. Yes, let's get it together, I know Sifu Kwan would love to get more schools involved. MS2, if you remember him he has an unbridled enthusiam for the CMA. I'll work it out with WaterDragon. Alright!!!!

Originally posted by rogue
    Great job fa jing. But where'd you learn to kick the head? Aren't WC fighters supposed to explode or something if they do that?
    Well, I used the high round kick that my teacher taught me. I'm copying this from the WC forum, maybe you guys would like to discuss. Keep in mind this was my first tournament in 12 years:

BTW, about half of what I learned went out the window when I got started. This is partly because I used to do tournament sparring in another style, TKD, about 12 years ago. Mostly, though, due to the excitement of the situation, and falling into the other guy's game.
    Anyway, you all know how I train, so I did well. I was definitely more comfortable in the continuous sparring than the other guy. Anyway, I am working on decreasing the amount that goes out the window, because it is my firm belief that only minor modifications need be made to traditional styles to accomodate them to sport fighting. Last time I was sparring my sifu, we were going fairly hard, I stepped in for a side kick and spread my hands, he low bon sao's my kick and hit me with a clean whipping punch from the bon sao that rocked me. Bayyooo! All this with boxing gloves. We've got it on digital tape and one day I'll figure out how to post it. So he has the skill to posterize me, and I want to acquire that skill. It's all coming together gradually, a progression towards unification. The traditional and the sport/modern training methods.

Let me also say that I got excited, and it became almost like playing Tekken or Streetfighter where you don't understand all the character's special moves, and you just keep pressing the punch and kick buttons and trying to time your entry. I just tried some things and stuck to what worked, striking rapidly and in combination, forgetting almost entirely about defense. The Karate guy stood right-forward and I left-forward. What worked was high round kicks over his guard and left and right straight punches. My footwork was actually alright. I kept up some front and side kicks with the lead leg and middle-height round kicks with the rear to the body, which he mostly blocked. but it kept him guessing. He stood in a traditional stance, side facing with his rear hand palm up by his solar plexus, so he could usually block a middle round kick but sometimes I could kick over his guard. The kick I was using I devoloped kicking against the Thai pads, it was a semi-pivoted, not full pivoted kick like in TKD, I can't/don't do that one anymore. BTW, I'm not all that limber, I was only able to kick high because I was very warmed up, and my hamstring is a little sore still from that.
    Anyway I fought both linearly, and was able to step forward to his inside gate with a triangle step so that I was facing him with his body facing me, which fits into my strategy, but is atypical for some Wing Chun. Some wing chun would always try to step to the outside gate in an opposite stance situation.
    Last edited by fa_jing; 07-29-2002 at 10:24 AM.

Fa_jing,
    Your sense of fun carries over into your post - congratulations sir!