Thread: Monk robes

Monk robes

I was talking to Wendy before about a weird story at my job.

Im a waiter and a few weeks after I started working there, this guy comes in, he was visiting family or something. Anyway, he is wearing orange monk robes, and he looked exactly like a Shaolin monk from all the photos I've seen, but the people he was with were not monks. Anyhoo, I was wondering if this guy could be a Shaolin monk or a Buddhist monk? I dont know if Buddhist monks wear orange or not, and so I can't tell if this man was Buddhist, Shaolin or something else. Thanks.
    I have a signature.

Next time he comes in pick a fight with him. If he totally beats the living shit out of you then he's probably a Shaolin monk.

If he blesses you and forgives your violence he's probably a Buddhist monk.

If he gets you screwed, blued and tattooed then he's something else!
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Buddhist monks tend to wear orange, red, and/or yellow depending on origin, status, etc. Orange robes are very common.

I have been a buddhist for most of my adult life, and it just occurs to me I have no idea what the significance of the color is. Anyone know?

-Brent

I know the colour is significant, I think 'Yellow' is the most harmonious colour (or something )

shades of saffron/orange are the most common for budhhist monks' robes.

Hari Krishna?
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it

I believe orange is close related to the Therevada tradition, Grey with the Mahayana, and brown with the Esoteric... and I believe in the Chinese tradtions monks will wear one or the other dependiing on the day... (i don't know exactly how that works) whereas in Thailand they always wear orange.

Could very well be wrong about that though

Buddhist monk robes

I went to a Buddhist meditation seminara few years ago, and someone had the same question about the color of the robes. The nun giving the seminar said that the colors really didn't mean that much, they were just the colors that were available in India from the dyes that they had at the time.
    "I'm here to wipe the floor with your ass, and you know it, and everybody here knows it, and you deserve it."-Duncan, "Some Kind of Wonderful"

"I used to be with it, then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it, and what's it seems wierd and scary to me. It'll happen to you!!!" -Grandpa Simpson

"Once while walking through the mall a guy came up to me and
    said 'Hey, hows it going?'. So I grabbed his arm and twisted
    it up behind his head and said 'Now whose asking the questions?'" - Jack Handey

"There's no doubt in my mind that we should allow the world worst leaders to hold America hostage, to threaten our peace, to threaten our friends and allies with the world's worst weapons."George Bush—South Bend, Ind., Sept. 5, 2002

ROFLMAO --- Serpent !

I'm getting this ad on Facebook...

...as if I don't have a closet full of these already...

Imported Buddhist Men/Women Monk Robe

Please choose the size that suits you according to your height range!
    Handling time>> Ship within 48 hours after payment
    💯Payments Via PayPal® and Credit Card
    🎯Product Warranty: Lifetime
    🌈 Guarantee>> We have a a risk-free 90-day guarantee

High-quality pure cotton plus high quality yarnmaterial, soft and smooth, draped and elegant. The sleeves are wide, the back is double-layered, and the midline is opened below the waist. Exquisite workmanship, solemn as the law. Multiple colors are available.

Knead repeatedly 30 times without creases, put it on, so that your practice will no longer crease

The drape is more solemn and the materials are selected carefully and responsibly. The drape of the Buddha clothing alone has been tested for 99 times. The drape makes you more solemn.

Opaque prevents the underwear from showing through, carefully select more delicate and compact fabrics, wear it to prevent the inner underwear from being exposed

Environmentally friendly printing and dyeing will not fade, get rid of the mixed dyeing of clothes when washing, so you no longer worry

The workmanship is upgraded, and the service life is longer. A Buddhist clothing is a lifetime. Wearing it is like the sustenance of the soul.

Buddhist monk saffron full robe suit Theravada monk missionary novice uniform

Beautiful monk robe. This is a set of work clothes specially made for spiritual monks in countries that follow the Buddhist sect.

A set of robes for devotees to the Buddha. The original robe was made of fabric. These are stitched together to form three rectangular pieces of cloth, which are then attached to the body in a specific way.

It is an outer gown used in various occasions. It crosses over the tops and underwear. It is usually the most conspicuous clothing in the image of Buddha.
    There are more pix and more colors. I'm guessing it's a Halloween play.

threads
    Monk-robes
    Shaolin-monk-robes
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart