Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand Asleep

It's been about a week now. This is my 3rd day of icing it. I'll give it about another week and if it's not better I'll go to see the doc. Only my left pinky finger is totally numb. The edge of the hand is too. It really is a pain in the ass to type, which ain't cool when you have to bang out code all day.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

Unhappy

If it turns out to be carpal tunnel, don't let them cut.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Nope not carpel. I still have use of my middle finger if they want to cut.

I actually have found the sweet spot. If I press on it the numbness gets a lot worse.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I'm kind of a computer geek. I used to spend ALOT of time in front of the computer. And I used to get that quite alot. Same hand too. I'd place my elbow near the corner of the desk with my head in my hand waiting for the download Lol. Sure enough it finally resulted in numbness in the pinky and that side of the hand. It was scary at first, not knowing what it was. I finally discounted it as a pinched nerve and it went away on it's own after a couple weeks.

My brother had the same problem, a bit more severe the numbness encompassed 50% of his hand. It was beginning to effect his work. It too passed with time on it's own.

Hey e-wallace - my wife just recently had this problem. 8 years (yipes!) of having her right arm constantly "asleep". Constant tingling and little to no ability to feel pressure, heat, or pain.

She went to a number of doctors in our previous HMO (worthless a******s), and was advised that it was tennis elbow or the beginnings of carpal tunnel. All baloney!

Last month she went to our new family doctor who was simply feeling her lymph nodes and felt a bundle of nerves in her shoulder. He manipulated her shoulder and she felt/heard a "pop" . She then IMMEDIATELY felt her arm come back to normal.

Before you go for drugs, try that route. Don't know if a chyropractor would be good (I've never gone to them) - but it sounds as if this is very similar to her situation.

Good luck - I understand how frustrating it is.

umm

ok i read your second post and i think thats all i need to read..if the doctors said it's from leaning on a certain spot on ur arm, why don't you just stop leaning on your arm in the first place and you wont have that problem? i know it's a pain in the as.s to have to switch arms to lean on but, it beats getting a numb arm.

It's kind of a subconcious thing. It happens while driving and at work. I'll correct it when I noctice it but it's such a natural thing to do for me.

I'm not really sure if it's getting better or if I'm just getting used to it. I am hoping it just goes away. It's not my whole hand just the bottom edge and the pinky are pretty numb. If it's still like this after I get back from vacation I'll consider having it looked at.

Thanks to all for the input.

- EW

What is carpal tunnel syndrome and how treatable is it - just wondering because I have read it can be brought on by cycling and I do quite a lot.

If your hand goes dead using a computer mouse try a track ball mouse. I found this worked for me when I was doing a lot of work on the PC.

DIfferent topic but I didn't want to start another thread. Our gym has a number of *records* on the wall where you see how fast you can row a certain distance, do so many steps etc etc and they note it and put it on the wall chart with your name and age - just lets you see how you match up with other people.

The other week I had a go at rowing 1000 metres, not a machine I often use but I thought I'd have a go (took 3min 30 btw). Anyway at the end of it apart from being half dead my toes were really painful for about 5 minutes - what is that about? I thought maybe lack of blood or something? Never ever experienced this before.

How's this for a horror story...

A friend of mine knows a girl who took a lot of prescription pain pills, but not enough to OD. Anyway, she fell asleep in a really weird position and slept that way for hours. They had to amputate one of her legs, and she's all messed up in other ways as a result.
    The cinnabun palm is deadly, especially when combined with the tomato kick. - TenTigers

I use a right handed mouse and my left arm is the one that is effected. The first time this happend it was mainly from leaning on it while driving. Which is really strange since I had a manual transmission. Must have been all those highway miles when I got too comfortable.

I lean on my left arm around the "funnybone" for an extended period of time.
    stop leaning on your elbow.
    "heres to you as good as you are
    heres to me as bad as I am.
    But as good as you are,and as
    bad as I am,I'm as good as you are,
    as bad as I am"
    --
    "It's too bad my friend Chad's brother wasn't there, because he totally knows t'ai chi and sh*t."

Hmmm

Or from a TCM angle it seems like there a blood deficiency in the Small Intestine channel that runs down the arm into the little finger. Stagnation in the form of pressure on the channel causes Qi and probably blood stagnation. If the Qi of the SI channel is weak then it may fail to propel navigate a substantial, or any, degree of blood along that side of the arm hence the numbness and temporary paralysis on that side of the arm.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith