Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Layoffs

Thumbs down OT: Layoffs

I just heard that this Friday I would be layed off from work.. don't you just love corp downsizing... this is my first time to be actually layed off and it sucks a$$$... now it just seems really dim on the job front and not exactly too much to look forward too... have anyone of yall been layed off before.... this just sucks a$$.. oh I think I already said that... I think I am just ranting and venting right now

I think beer sounds good now... time to get drunk

latta

Been there. There's a saying in my field that if you haven't been layed off, you haven't been in the business.

Good luck, man. I know a lot of folks who are going on two years without work.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

I've never been laid off. But I work pretty close to the conference room door at my work. Which is where they axed everyone about 6 mos ago. It was tragic. They called them in one by one. At first no one knew what was up. After the first two left, and more people were called it just got unbearble. Where I work I practically face that door, watching people standing out side the door waiting for the go ahead to enter the room, and seeing the looks on thier faces. Knowing full well what was about to happen to them. I don't think I'll ever forget that day.

It's a cr@p feeling.
    Took me eight months to find a new gig.
    Can really get you down.
    But stay positive coz your next job may be the best one so far.

Good luck.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

many times

I have been in the IT field since 92! I have been laid off by MCI, Service Financial and VERIO.COM! I am now trying to finish my BA in poli sci...2 more years. Anywayz...my suggestion is to SAVE! If u need MONEY...get a PT or FT nite job u like...even if the pay is not to your liking...it's INCOME. From there begin your job search...beware...IT is at an all time low. Job Outlooks is like 6 to 12 months before u get anything. In the meantime...look for pt or nite ft jobs in the following field. Security, bartending, mall jobs, real estate admin, sale jobs etc...

GOOD LUCK.
    A

what's your specialty GGL? Maybe I can help you out.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I got laid off in February. Now I'm in a new job that's talking about eliminating 40 folks from our location. Last hired first fired, right?
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I'm a consultant/contractor/systems analyst and I live in a permanant state of flux. Been through the Y2K aftermath where everyone blew their IT budgets on over priced COBOL programmers, the dot bomb fiasco and recently B2B (aka boom2bust).
    I have 7 months worth of income saved up where I can pay the mortgage, buy groceries and get the kids Christmas presents, my goal is to have a full years worth of mortgage in the bank.
    Like Legend says "get a PT or FT nite job u like...even if the pay is not to your liking...it's INCOME."

If you get severence don't **** it away on vacations or junk, use it as money to keep the house and cars. If you find a job fast, bank the severence for the next time you get hit.

Good luck GGL.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I've had the scare more than once and I'm just 24. I fear they may again be coming with our terrible q2.

man, i've not even graduated yet and it's still a pain in da ass to find a job. that's just so i can make enough mopney to pay rent and food etc. Lucky i don't have a family and car etc. to look after as well!

good luck with everything and be wise :0

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

I'm a writer so I'm constantly in and out of work ... but my bf just got laid off. *******s at work didn't even tell him. He was just talking to another instructor and happened to ask, "what course are you teaching next semester?" The guy replies, "networking something-or-other." My bf looks at him and says, "um, that's MY class."

He had to go to the administrator's office and ask what the deal was, and didn't get a straight answer for 2 days. Not cool.
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

SaMantis: That sucks If it happens like thta it just makes me feel really more pi$sed off i would prefer to just be told straight and given a valid (or not so valid) reason

I hope he can find a good new job!

david
    Peace is not the product of terror or fear.
    Peace is not the silence of cemeteries.
    Peace is not the silent result of violent repression.
    Peace is the generous, tranquil contribution of all to the good of all.
    Peace is dynamism. Peace is generosity.
    It is right and it is duty.

Unhappy yuck

Been there. Done that. Got the t-shirt.

My only suggestion is to look at this as an opportunity to find the job you've always wanted.

Take a few days to really think long and hard about what you want to do, then go for it -- even if it is a really wacky, way out idea.

You only get to go around on this ride once ... might as well get the most out of it that you can! And to do that, you have to figure out what it is you want to begin with ...

G'luck to you and stay positive -- good people can find jobs in any market - it just might take longer in some than in others.

They're laying off at the company I work for. What's really sad is the only reason I have any job security is that the people under me are responsible for delivering moving boxes to those who are laid off(that's not their only responsibility, they do other stuff, too).

Good luck on your job search.

BTW, Rogue's advice is the best advice you'll ever get. I'm trying to get to that point in savings right now. I've seen too many people who adjust their lifestyle to their income when they get good jobs, instead of building stability and then adjusting their lifestyle.

I teach violin and soon kung fu, also work GIS.

Because of these acquired abilities, I'll ALWAYS be able to make a good living.

As much as I can, I've tried to take my economics out of the hands of higher entities. I'd rather starve being my own boss (which I am now and will do very soon) than have my future be controlled by factors I have no control over.

I live in New York State, where we have a govrenmental hiring freeze due to 9/11. GIS jobs are available but hard to come by. My area is pretty devoid of them, and the ones available demand so much for so little (40 hours a week for $23,000 a year). If I had only GIS to feed me, I'd be in big trouble. That's why I'm moving to Phoenix, where I'll start my own school where people actually can afford to come to classes.

One karate instructor who was counseling me on martial arts business told me that regardless of what I did in the business, it would be nice to have "multiple sources of income". I took his words to heart and haven't had any financial problems since.

Being one's own boss isn't for everybody, but it sure is for me. I'm the only boss I can handle.