Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you do about this friend? (MA's related)

Angry What would you do about this friend? (MA's related)

First thing I want to say is that you're in for a bit of a read so if you don't have the time you might want to come back to this thread when you do.

My main point is that my friend is a good guy but is rude as heck and it gets on my nerves at times.

The thing is that I have a friend (Vietnamese) who took kung fu a while back and was very serious about it, or so I heard from his family as his dad was an instructor at the kwoon, until there was a tradgedy at the school. Needless to say he refused to study there anymore for whatever his reasons were. However he did keep up with as much training as he could by himself though not like he used to.

After knowing the guy for a year I found out that he knew kung fu. After going over his house for a while we started comparing forms just to see how each others style looked like. Right off the bat he tells me that my moves are fancy and that all my forms are for show. That didn't bother me much but I should have known that would have been the start of it...

I asked if he wanted to touch hands and he agreed later finding out that he interpreted touching hands as if it were very very light point sparring. On the very first enconter I put him in an arm bar and he got mad claiming that I was trying to break his arm. Every time he punched I used a simple parry and hook to catch his attack. Other times I just trapped his hands and sometimes I followed with a feint eye poke which I stopped right in front of his eye to let him know that he would have gotten hit(mind you I was and still am a beginner which says what his abilty was).He get's mad and says "what's wrong with you that's not kung fu". My response was like well what do you think kung fu is like? He starts telling me how I am supposed to used my style and that it is not honorable to use elbow attacks and simultaneously attck the knees as you punch at the face when he can't even handle a basic straight punch. The he says that his style is just like a realistic boxing style like you would see on the street and that they don't do fancy stuff like in my style. That tells me that he's saying that my style is unrealistic.

After some time passed he lost his interest in kung fu alltogether because as you know some people have lives :work,school, girlfriend etc, but that wasn't the end of it.

Sometimes when I would go over his house he would start talking to me about kung fu and would want to know what my oppinion of it was. As soon as I opened my mouth he would interrupt saying "whatever whatever. I don't care , I don't want to hear about it.I don't care about kung fu anymore." I was like what the heck is wrong with this guy? First he ask me a question and then doesn't let me even open my mouth by interrupting me in a rude manner. Later he would do the same thing again and again. At other times when I was over at his house he would tell me that my style is all flash and that I do complicated movements. Hmm let's see... hook, grapple, and puch...rriigghtt.

This went off and on for about a year and it started getting worse and worse. At one point it got to me and I lashed out at his style. My friend and another friend (who also knows kung fu) and I went to this Japanese restaurant that he worked in,which was supposedly filled with guys who know kung fu were working there as well. So we were sitting down as I am eating some soup and he tells me that wah lum guys are stiff and awkward. I looked him dead in the eye eye and I said said oh yeah well you guys are wide open and your footwork sucks. That was the end of that and he got quiet. I admit I am not proud of it but after a year of calmly taking all of that it can set you off..

Just when I thought it could't get worse it did. Later on he started to want to sparr and by how it felt he wanted to prove something. Then it finally hit rockbottom. One day he asked me me to sparr and I was reluctanct becuase I knew what he was up to as a foreign exchange student was satying at his house (yes, Ryu, she was Japanese ) .At that point I was sort of sick plus I was starving and a bit weak. I reluctantly agreed and the guy starts being aggressive and does a really hard push right on my throat. I took the blow and and regained my balance. At this moment Akane (the foreign exchange student) was angry as she knew that he was just trying to impress her but was not showing it,she told me later on. At one point he even grabbed me and did some kind of hip throw in which I landed right on my left knee causing not only and abbrassion but a sreious bruise that put me out for two weeks. I figured he learned that from his future brother in law since he knows some san shou.

Right there and then he pushed me past my limits. I can't take it anymore. I decided the next time we ever sparr I am going to literally break his pride because I have always held back on him. If he even tries to sparr me in front of people I'm gonna floor him right away. Funny thing is ever since that day he never wanted to sparr again because he says I'm too aggressive and I take it to seriously.

Now he's claiming that he's learning wing chun from one of his work buddes who's from "south China". At first he told me his friend took hung gar, wing chun, pak mei, know's groundfighting and even took wah lum, my styl,e and that his friend said that wha lum was stiff and awkward. I was like oh really? I asked who his sifu was in wah lum. He was reluctanct to say and responds with "I don't know, do I look like his boyfriend? I don't stalk people like you". As you can imagine most people wouldn't put up with that. He completely idolizes his friend and is in awe of his fighting abilty. His friend has been practicing for 15 years and is the best fighter blah blah blah and could take on this high level wing chun sifu who I know that has been practicing for 30+ years.

3 days ago I asked him how long has his friend practied wing chun. He said only 2. I was like hey didn't you say he practiced for 15 years? My friend hesitated and said no. He also told me me that he didn't take wah lum, that his friend does choy lay fut. I wanted to test this deadly super fighter out and I told him that I wanted to touch hands with this guy and he says I don't think he's going to want to fight you. Who said anything about fight? Who has ever heard of a wing chun guy not wanting to touch hands with another stylist? He avoids me meeting the guy most of the time and tells me that I have to go by the restaurant at 12 a.m. if I want to meet him,which I'm tempted to to one of these days. Heck for a while a couple of my kung fu buds wanted to meet this unstoppable south Chinaman.

Why all the avoidance of his friend? One word McSifu!! Come on, you got win chun, choy lay fut, wah lum pai (supposedly), groundfighting (style unknown), bak mei, and possibly kickboxing. Thy guy probably only did like one year of each. My friend also told me that his friend aske him not to let anyone know that he's teaching him win chun and he's only been doin it for 2 years! Umm can I have a lap sao with a flying triangle and a side order of tam tui with hooks please?

[getting near the end]

Why do I put up with all of this you say? The thing is I'm a real good friend of his family and they have been real nice to me. I don't want to have any trouble with them. Plus my hung out with with me when I had girl troubles.

However you can't take abuse forever. Enough is enough. I don't know wether knock him flat on hiss butt next time we sparr or to talk to him about it. What would you do?
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 07-01-2002 at 11:03 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Smile

Smile, take him aside and say "first point I like you so lay off, OK. second, You really don't want me to hurt you in front of your friend do you? Remember, I like you."
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Thanks man I really need some advice right now but I have already done that ans he just smirks and thinks I'm acting ****y. Tot ell the truth he thinks I'm full of myself when even Akane told me that she thinks hes the best at everything.

P.S.

****y = c o c k y
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 07-01-2002 at 11:21 AM.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Wink

I think you'd **** him off if you started dating Akane.

Tried that but didn't work. She' back in Japan now but we still keep contact since we became goodfriends when he started being a real jerk to her. She told me me that she'll hook me up with one of her friends if I ever visit her in Japan
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 07-01-2002 at 11:29 AM.

Originally posted by NorthernMantis
    Tried that but didn't work. She' back in Japan now but we still keep contact since we became goodfriends when he started being a real jerk to her. She told me me that she'll hook me up with one of her friends if I ever visit her in Japan

so forget this jerk and move to Japan!

Originally posted by NorthernMantis
    Hell yeah man!
    I am nothing.

some people only respect you if you let them know what's up, if you sting them.

-FJ

I think it begs the question, How did you handle him O' so easily the first time, but then had him throw you and throat strike you against your will the second time? Regardless of casual friendship, you shouldn't let someone do that to you, should have been able to stop it, or increase your level of intensity. This happens all the time when chi sauing. Someone loses so they pick up the intensity. Best way to handle this, slam them good once, and say AFTERWARDS, if you pick up the intensity so will I.

Also, don't assume this guy you never met is a mcsifu. Remember the source, sounds like your friend has honesty issues. For all you know, he's telling this other martial artist that YOU studied for 49 years under wong fei hung, and that YOU are saying that wing chun is stiff.

There is a time honored tradition for handling these sort of things, a sombre ceremony saved for the most extreme cases. It's called the melvin with a full twisting swirly. If that doesn't work, duct tape him to the wall and feed him some jabanera salsa, then put a glass of milk just out of range.

Really, it's what reasonable people do.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    One, I think your friend is insecure and partly embarassed about his lack of skill, possibly pretty frustrated as well. He is acting out of frustration. yeeah, pretty immature-he should get back into training at a real school, he'd feel alot better about himself.
    and two, I think spirit writer has it backwards. Yes, I know he started it, and he did some low down dirty cheap shots, but it is best if before you start, you say, "You set the pace" that way, if he hits you hard, you give it right back, and say, 'Remeber, YOU'RE setting the pace." they usually calm down after the first few exchanges.

This could get ugly, as it seems your pride and his are both on the line.

Let's say the next time you spar you beat the crap out of him. Then what? He'll make excuses, he may continue to haunt you with challenges, maybe he'll go nuts and scrape one of your retinas or fold back your elbow in a rage.

What is the point of all of this?

I only spar with people I can trust to not get personally upset. There are thousands of people who you can spar with powerfully and safely (meaning they will not go to far on purpose to prove a point).

You've been instigating argument, and embarrassing him. Treat him like a kid who is a bit confused and don't take his ignorance personally. If you beat the crap out of him, you may have an enemy for life. If you are nice and try to help him even when he is arrogant, eventually he may realize the debt he owes you.

Don't believe what he tells you - he might be stirring up trouble - the other guy might be thinking the same as you do.

Walk away and grin but if he does try to humiliate you in front of others - teach him a little lesson if you get the chance move around him and kick him up the backside gently - it won't hurt him physically but he will have lost face. If you value him as a friend he'll come round - if he doesn't then is he worth knowing.

Your friends family most likely won't hear of it - I mean to be kicked in the rear is not something people want to admit to

Trust

I'm guessing I'm a bit older so my perspective is a little different. People who lie have no place in my life (or at least personal life). Keep in mind your friend may be telling you stories as well, as KC and others pointed out.

I agree with a few others that sparring may not be the answer although setting the tone if you do spar would be helpful. Talk to him, tell him how you feel and don't let him right you off. If he starts blow you off, stop him. Tell him that this is important to you and he is not treating you with any respect or this isn't how he would want to be treated about X (whatever that would be), ask him to describe things in detail (why he is saying what he is saying, what makes _____ this or that weak, what he would do, etc.).

Oh, well, good luck.

It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked.
    Warren Buffett

Ahhhhhhhh VIET PRIDE! Since I'm vietnamese I can relate!!! He has the NAPOLEON complex...u see...vietnamese are small men( I myself am only 5ft 7inches ). Now that's small! So in terms of IMPRESSING others( especially chicks ) we have to do the EXTRAORDINARY! In other words...bullying peeps! Bruce Lee I believe had this problem also. Guess what??? S H I T doesn't work when u try it on someone that can play the GAME also. Skool this KID NORTHERNMANTIS. Skool him BAD! You don't have to say anything...just mention that u have been training with some BAD MEN lately. U seem to be a nice guy but this guy is taking advantage of your friendship...and u need to even it out! No more giving in to his ehhhhhh kung fu skillz. I have met several Viet guys around the MD area who train in NORTHERN SHAOLIN. Great standup but once I took them down...they were clueless. They got HUMBLED quick. PAIN destroys PRIDE!!! Like u said u don't want any trouble from his family...but I doubt he'll be crying to mommy and daddy once u wax him. Teach a BULLY a lesson. Rather he learn it from you then someone he doesn't know on the street!
    A