Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many moves to express the essence of WC?

How many moves to express the essence of WC?

How few moves in your opinion are needed to express the essence of WC? Describe them if possible. If you think we need all 6 or 7 forms (depending on your background) or need 40 points etc explain why please. I ask because teaching my 5 year old it came to me how little was really needed to express the entire system. Unfortunatly I think you need to know the system in order to express its core but that thinking may be wrong.

Come on hunt1... challenge me, would you!?

every move should express the essence of the system
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

**** straight odder!

getting someone to be able to express the system is a whole different problem; that could take 1 move, or 29387429837423 moves for them to get it
    Travis

structure in motion

IMHO, SLT expresses the essence of wing chun. It is an extract that has the fundamental properties of wing chun in a concentrated form. All of wing chun's basic principles are encapsulated in the SLT form.

Take for example the centerline principle. The upper and lower crossing of the hands in the beginning of the form defines the centerline. The various techniques in SLT defines the upper and lower gates as well as the inside and outside gates. SLT also defines the triangular structure of wing chun.

You might argue that not all wing chun principles are expressed in SLT. I believe that all other advanced techniques & principles are derived from basic principles found in SLT. For example: Chum kiu has stepping and turning; SLT has not. We can say that the SLT structure is a triangle while Chum kiu structure is a cone. But remember that a cone is essentially a triangle rotated on its axis!
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.

i like the beginning of siu lim tau

one way i think of it is the first three parts are the 3 of the most important things you learn (if not the 3 most important)

1st: cross the arms, do gan sau then tan saus

this defines the centerline, everything a beginner does is on this centerline - EXTREMELY important to say the least

2nd: punch!!

another darn important thing, HIT THE GUY! people chi sau and forget this - if your fighting someone, you need to hit the guy; hence the punch

3rd: tan sau, wu saus, fook saus

relax!! beginners need to relax, standing in your stance and doing this slowly while relaxing teaches you how to relax while in motion (later other things happen, but initially i think this is the most important)

so anyways to sum up, the first 3 parts of siu lim tau =

centerline, hit the guy, relax thats wing chun in a nutshell
    Travis

structure in motion

TjD,

Nice, I agree about the concepts encapsulated in the first three movements.

I would however, shift things back one move, and add one more.

1. Find your stance

2. Find the centreline

3. Punch!

4. The next few moves, the tan, wu, fooks are all about (amongst other things) the concept of lut sao te chung, relaxed prying springy energy from the elbow. This is to show that if your initial attack is diverted, keep the forward energy going until another opportunity to hit presents itself.

So, stance, centre, hit, and then if necessary lut sao te chung.

That, IMHO, is the essence of WC.
    Any advance on four moves?
    Your lineage may vary.

Thumbs up

Hi all,

Has to be siu lim tau for me - SLT is Wing Chun IMHO

Regards, Stu
    Ip Ching Ving Tsun in South Wales - www.swanseavingtsun.com

Moves...

It's the mind, not the moves. When you find this out for yourself,then you know WING CHUN. IMHO

"moves"

tan, fook, bong.

Other stuff:

centerline 'theory' - elbow power - straight punch - trapping - stepping - turning - blah blah blah.
    strike!

hehe, how about precision, rooting, structure and sensitivity?

Everything lies within the punch.

Andrew

Just one (1). The Yat Jee Chung Choi from Yee Jee Kim Yeung Ma. The straight punch from the front horse. The essance of WCK is distilled beautifully in its application and it's breadth is hinted at tantilizingly in implication. If you can do it *perfectly* (alignment, timing, power, etc.) it's all you ever need. Of course, it takes a long time to get that, so they give us all the other stuff to cover our @$$s in the mean time

RR

Chung Choi

red5:

Strickly speaking, those things do not 'express the essence' of wing chun, rather all strategized fighting in general.

I forgot the pigeon toed stance, but I dont 'use' it anymore, strickly speaking.
    strike!