Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: US planning to recruit one in 24 Americans as citizen spies

OT: US planning to recruit one in 24 Americans as citizen spies

Well, what do you think of this?

from The Sydney Morning Herald :

US planning to recruit one in 24 Americans as citizen spies

By Ritt Goldstein

The Bush Administration aims to recruit millions of United States citizens as domestic informants in a program likely to alarm civil liberties groups.

The Terrorism Information and Prevention System, or TIPS, means the US will have a higher percentage of citizen informants than the former East Germany through the infamous Stasi secret police. The program would use a minimum of 4 per cent of Americans to report "suspicious activity".

Civil liberties groups have already warned that, with the passage earlier this year of the Patriot Act, there is potential for abusive, large-scale investigations of US citizens.

As with the Patriot Act, TIPS is being pursued as part of the so-called war against terrorism. It is a Department of Justice project.

Highlighting the scope of the surveillance network, TIPS volunteers are being recruited primarily from among those whose work provides access to homes, businesses or transport systems. Letter carriers, utility employees, truck drivers and train conductors are among those named as targeted recruits.

A pilot program, described on the government Web site www.citizencorps.gov, is scheduled to start next month in 10 cities, with 1 million informants participating in the first stage. Assuming the program is initiated in the 10 largest US cities, that will be 1 million informants for a total population of almost 24 million, or one in 24 people.

Historically, informant systems have been the tools of non-democratic states. According to a 1992 report by Harvard University's Project on Justice, the accuracy of informant reports is problematic, with some informants having embellished the truth, and others suspected of having fabricated their reports.

Present Justice Department procedures mean that informant reports will enter databases for future reference and/or action. The information will then be broadly available within the department, related agencies and local police forces. The targeted individual will remain unaware of the existence of the report and of its contents.

The Patriot Act already provides for a person's home to be searched without that person being informed that a search was ever performed, or of any surveillance devices that were implanted.

At state and local levels the TIPS program will be co-ordinated by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which

was given sweeping new powers, including internment, as part of the Reagan Administration's national security initiatives. Many key figures of the Reagan era are part of the Bush Administration.

The creation of a US "shadow government", operating in secret, was another Reagan national security initiative.

That's gay, that's dumb, that's stupid. Down with planet Earth! Too many idiots!

I'm reporting both of you.

Hm

Its nice to know though that idiocy has no bounds and that even governments can show us their true colours when it comes to paranoia and plain ignorance.

20-40 years ago, many of those in government now were nerds in high school then. Think about it...

Much ado about nothing. Unofficially the US Postal Service (aka mailmen) have been used for years to report on this kind of thing. For example mail carriers have helped Child Protective Services by reporting cases of chronic child abuse that they've witnessed.

Personally I don't have a problem with the TIPS program, but then I'm some sort of nut job that takes terrorism seriously.

BTW I believe that this little line exposes the writers agenda.
    "The creation of a US "shadow government", operating in secret, was another Reagan national security initiative."
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

im down for just national security, but when i see things like they can search without a warrant and they dont have to tell you they did, due to the patroit act.

Then you hear news reports such as Bush was talking to a rep for brazil, and he said OH YOU HAVE NEGROES THIER TO

i read this awhile ago and maybe the writer was trying to clown bush for screwing up his english...But if he really didnt know that We may have problems, I mean hes all about this axis of evil trying to mirror churchhill or whoever his idol is..He's talking all christian but wasnt he or isnt he a cokehead?.

And some of these christians actually believe in they god and they think they are killing lucifers angels by sniping peeps at abortion clinics. And its possible these types are running the show2!.

Perhaps it would help the governament if I just emailed them and mentioned that my neightbors don't know anything.

The reason I don't like this sort of stuff is it is very likely to be abused. Most of the calls will be morons who don't know jack, which will swamp the monitors and make it pretty unlikely that they will catch the legitemate ones, if any such calls come. Plus, it's not all that different than the sort of stuff people were expected to do in the cultural revolution, though there are differences.

My one neighbor mows the lawn with his lawnmower pointed towards my lawn at all times so that the clippings all go in my yard. I would say he's about the most likely person on my block to make use of this new program. He passed out on his lawn last Saturday at noon from being drunk. As soon as this gets passed, he'll probably call in and tell them I'm in the yard doing some sort of weird Taliban voodoo fighting thing with a sword.

Basically, it begs for another McCarthy.

By the same token, I'm still reporting you all.

What if they recruit talabanis??

Think about it, f they are recruiting one in 24 where are they going to get the man power to keep track of it all?

I lay 10 to 1 the Talab gets into the program and starst reporting Us citizens for the fun f it.

Oh, by the way KC, I reported you.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 07-18-2002 at 08:02 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

This is a good idea! I'll suggest some possible names for the group.
    1.ton ton makute
    2.pathet lao
    3.kymer rouge
    4.viet cong
    5. I.R.A.
    6. KGB
    7. the brown shirts
    8. waffen SS
    9. gestapo
    10. mafia
    I hope they have cool uniforms! Like something in black with a silver skull and crossbones emblem. If I turn in my sister will I get a pair of Levis?

The Earth has no gravity!
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

I'll volunteer for the program if I can be assigned to provide the surveillance of a bunch of hot chicks.

Or midgets. As you all know I don't trust those little ****ers.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

What? It has the words RED SCARE written over it. As a non-natural citizen I protest it. Do you know how many innocent good immigrants who came to this country looking for a etter life will end up getting hurt for it.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

The concept is really a decent idea. But if you look at the combined intelligence of people in general, it's really rather idiotic.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

NorthernMantis

That's it, yur repORTED!!!!
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Do you know how many innocent good immigrants who came to this country looking for a etter life will end up getting hurt for it.
    if this is true...do u know how many natural citizens could be hurt form this… don’t dare disagree with popular opinion or be branded a traitor
    The concept is really a decent idea. But if you look at the combined intelligence of people in general, it's really rather idiotic.
    nahhh… the concept is idiotic… my neighbors are nosy enuff as it is… and some of my co-workers are of the 700 club variety… I don’t need them actin all Rambo b'cuz I read The Final Call…