Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Running

beiquan Guest

running?

i am thinking of starting to jog in order to bring up my endurance for performing forms and fighting... can anyone offer any advice on this? i have also been told that wind sprints are a better exercise for kung fu, does anyone do this sort of training?

thanks...

Robinf Guest
    I do windsprints on my own. It has helped me immensely. I used to just straight out jog, which I still do because I enjoy it, but the windsprints helped me more because of the sudden bursts of speed then the quick recovery time, just like doing a form or sparring.

Remember, though, to thoroughly stretch after your jog/run.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

gumyilo Guest

huh?

I was thinking of jogging also to increase my endurance but whats a windsprint?

"The superior man hoards nothing. The more he uses for the benefit of others, the more he possesses himself. The more he gives to his fellow man, the more he has of his own." Lao Tzu

skuall Guest
    its faster running..i think

premier Guest

problem with jogging

I can't remember the correct terms, but weren't there two different kinds of muscle fibres, fast and slow. Slow fibres are the ones needed for endurance and they're developed by endurance training like jogging. Fast fibres gives you the speed and explosive power and those are the fibres you need in martial arts.. so. wouldn't jogging be kind of a bad thing for kicking power?

Robinf Guest
    Windsprints are when you start off with a jog at a comfortable pace to warm up, then sprint as fast as you can for a certain distance or time, then return to the comfortable jog to recover. For me, the sprint and jog are the same length of time rather than distance, as it takes more time to cover the same distance when you're jogging as opposed to sprinting. In sparring, you only have the same amount of recovery time as you do with the spurts of attack/defense.

I do about ten sets of this per workout, and increase the time in order to improve. So, I start out sprinting for 20 seconds, then jog 20, and do that ten times. After getting used to that for a few workouts, I increase to 30 seconds sprinting and jogging. But, you can engineer your workout to however you want, but the basis of a windspring workout is to sprint fast then recover then sprint then recover then sprint then...

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

baji-boy Guest
    "I can't remember the correct terms, but weren't there two different kinds of muscle fibres, fast and slow. Slow fibres are the ones needed for endurance and they're developed by endurance training like jogging. Fast fibres gives you the speed and explosive power and those are the fibres you need in martial arts.. so. wouldn't jogging be kind of a bad thing for kicking power?"

premier, just to correct you, it's Slow Twitch and Fast Twitch! :D Thank goodness for the 9th grade Personal Fitness I took this year! :) ;)

beiquan Guest
    thanks for the tip, robin. i think that i will give the windsprints a try...

Running

Ran my first ever competitive race last night, a 7 miler, tough hilly course, managed to complete it well inside my target time of 49 minutes (7 minute miles) but was a bit p i s s e d off at the end because I run harder at the weekend on my own - I was too conservative with it being my first race. The winning times were about 10 minutes faster than me although I did come in the top half - there was a real spread of abililty and ages. Realistically I reckon I can get down to around 43-44 minutes before my natural lack of athletic ability kicks in. I would recommend entering these events just to see some of the women that enter too. This post has naff all to do with kung fu (did they censor naff ??) but wtf.

Smile

Sounds good. I like to come out of the gate fairly fast to get possition and then ease into a pace. This way I get good position and still have something left for the last lap.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

running

hi just wondering i've been running about 2.5 kms every couple of days.

i find that my shin gets painful...my neighbour was telling me b4 about how some ppl get 'splints'??? which means blood collects from the impact when u jog at the shin area and u have to massage it away and stretch it out otherwise long term u need surgery or something.

anyway any ideas? is this true?
    any tips for getting rid of the pain in the shins?

i had a friend who was training for a marathon and he was running 30 kms or something a day. i find it pretty incredible . i'm falling all over the place if i run to about 3km

well it's true very much true...
    i think u just started running n ur legs r not used to it...
    this is way i run
    run for 1 min brisk walking for 90 seconds do this about 7-8 times
    then u can increase the running or decrease the timing of walking.
    it helps without getting splints...
    hav good warm up/stretching before running(i prefer around 15 minutes of stretching)
    after running cool down slowly by ending up stretching again...
    some good tips at runnersworld.co.uk
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

had shin splints when i used to play hardcourt tennis about 20 hours per week. doctor said to strengthen the muscles in the front of my shin. i did, the splints went byebye.

easy way to strengthen them -- and i got results in just this -- is to sit down normally, and straighten one leg out in front of you point your toes forward, then try to point them toward your head and extend your heel toward the wall in front of you. point the toes forward again, etc. do a set of 10 or 20, then switch legs. this is an easy exercise to build up strength in. once you can do a set of 50 or so, you're about as good as you need to be.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

hey thanks guys i appreciate your advice

i think i've been running closer to 3kms just did a bit of calc.
    wasn't doing much b4 that which probably explains why. this is my routine recently for jogging:

do my stretches, for about 10mins or so. then quick walk down to the park. and run around in rectangles. i start off pretty slowly
    and then up it a bit and keep it steady till i'm on the last one or two laps where i run. the whole jog takes me about 18-20mins.

then i always warm down by walking around a bit or on the walk home and most times i stretch as well. massaging the shin area kinda helps but is a bit painful. so i'm going to give those exercises a shot.

i was also thiking of making the running a bit more varied. i was thinking of doing short 100m sprints then slow jog then sprint again. unfortunately after running i don't usually feel like doing anything else and there isn't anyone else around who i can work focus mitts with etc. i watched that kwoon training video where the kwoon guys try to do a training session that a professional san shou guy has to do in the US and i'm interested in doing something like that. do u guys do anything with your jogging?
    i'd like to up my jog eventually to about 5kms and keep it at that.
    its kinda boring running around a park aroudn and around and around.

its kinda boring running around a park aroudn and around and around.
    lol tell me about it...
    the time when i run is i m alone it's around 4:15 in cold winter ...
    but i just do it for a good workout...
    it's important to vary ur running workout as it's boring like like... (doh feels like lost words )
    well if u hav a freind who does marathon then get advice from him...no one can better tell u about running than those guys...
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free