Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Running

hey TKDWarrior
    i checked out that uk website its pretty good. i particularly liked the rating of diffierent ground types. i'm probably never going to run on concrete or the pavement although the change in view would be nice. i think that website gave concrete a rating of 2 or osmething out of 10. i think the impact is too much and longterm won't be good for my knees. i find that running on grass in the local park is tiring but the impact is less. i've tried running home on cement after running at the park and there is a big difference. so in order to retain the long term value in my legs etc and avoid injuries of which i have had my fair share of i'm sticking to the grass. thanks guohen for that pointer.

actually my friend eventually ran the 45 km marathon race. i think he did it in about 2.5 - 3 hours. i've talked to him about it b4 for some tips. mainly he talked about competing, preparation and the body, water, etc. the focus is a bit different from me. i just want to eventually run 5kms in half an hour and do that 2-3 times a wk
    and thats it. i like combining it with swimming and kung fu training.
    i'll be working fulltime again soon so i will be going swimming during lunch or the gym, and training again after work either running or kung fu related stuff.
    sorry for the ramble

another thing TKDwarrior

it is very boring running around a park. but the thing is i find i do better when ppl are there. its kind of ego related. i push myself by thinking ppl are watching me and counting the number of laps i'm doing so if i quit after doing only a bit i'm going to look bad. so i keep forcing myself to reach a goal. i also think its less boring when there are a few things to look around at as i run. its funny how strange thoughts go over in your mind as u run and your caught up in your own little world.

Friday, follow Gouhen's advice about not running on hard surfaces until it's completely healed. Also the stretching and massaging after running. Lucky for me, back in my running days (I don't run very often nowadays because it makes my knees really sore if I do it too often) I never had shin splints because my tibialis anterior (the muscle on the front of your shins) was very strong from playing the drums. You're constantly raising and lowering your toes to play the bass drum and hi-hat! Of course I recommend that everyone play a musical instrument to improve their martial arts practice!
    But seriously, a couple of my friend suffered from shin splints and after they were healed I got them to just sit on a chair and raise and lower their toes for a few minutes a day (music is optional!) Both of them told me their shins were much better for it. Good luck!

hi guys
    ran again today b4 going to a kf class. it seems better with the splints having run a few times now.

anyway wat do ppl think of me putting down the training i do everyday as a motivational tool as well as getting tips from ppl on kfo on this thread or a new thread. it'll be like a diary. mite sound like a crazy idea but who knows it mite help me. i find its pretty hard to push myself sometimes.

is there anyrthing on breathing when jogging that i should know about? mite be a silly question.

also i've been bad today
    i didn't eat any breaky went for the run came home ate some sugary lollies and then went to kf class. after i ate a decent meal. but two hours later i'm feeling hungry again! i think i need a healthier diet! ...i think i need more friends to talk to about this stuff lol.

sit in seiza and that will strengthen your ankles and shins... and for God's sake, dont run on pavement, run on grass or dirt!

hey guohen

whats tendonitis same as shin splints?
    yah i'm doing the exercises u guys were talking about. btw when can u say u actually have shin splints? is that as soon as u get pain in your shins after running? or do u have to reach a certain problem level b4 its called a shin splint?

it doesn't seem as bad this time. massaging it this time doesn't hurt as much either.

today i did 80 pushups of different types
    some dumbell work and situps. was planning on doing some qigong at nite but got lazy hehehe.

i'm planning on doing the sprints tomorrow. sprint 100m, jog , sprint again etc. and do that till i drop. then afterwards do some form work and breaking up the techs and drilling them individually. i'll see how my shins feel tomorrow.

tuesday i'll do 25 laps of 50m pool. planned to go kf class that nite but...BBQ happening mite catch some personal training again.

wednesday i'm visiting a friends kwoon for a look at his style (great friend!) and a bit of sparring with his students. sparring is something i don't do that much so it will be a great learning exp for me. i'm worried i'm going to get puffed out if i take the full class sigh...

thursday kf class

well i'll report on friday and see whether my plans turn out ok or whether i bomb out cos i'm friggin lazy ass!!!

btw what do ppl think of doing techniques in water? aside from the fact i'll look a bit silly lol

alot of my techs are circular etc so i'm wondering whether training them in water with the waters resistance will build up speed and power?
    nothing to do with running i know but i've partially converted this thread to a 'my training diary' thingy lol hope no one is peed off.

do techniques in the water or on the water doesn't matter till the time u r doing it
    . its kind of ego related. i push myself by thinking ppl are watching me and counting the number of laps
    hmmm it's nice idea to push urself but i m **** too much ignorant i know my body needs
    -TkdWarrior-
    Knowledge, Like sex is better when it's free

Talking

Hey Gouhen, how about let's start an "all martial artist" band! We could combine kickin' music and kickin' arse!!

i'll sing ok??

take Rubthebuddha's advice...

I got shinsplints from running on pavement for a few weeks during an intensive portion of training. The only thing that helped was building the muscles on the front of the shin.

Wrap velcro style ankle weights around the top portion of the foot, and while seated, raise the top of the foot toward the shins with the weights on.

Get good shoes, too, that's really important.

-C
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com

Smile

I'll fill in on bass, guitar, drums and vocals. Let's keep it heavy and rockin. Maybe if we're bluesy I can play some slide.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Cool

Hey, we can ALL sing! Don't you know that the more people you have singing off-key the better it sounds! I can play drums, guitar, and piano and some good hard rockin' blues would be SWEET!!!! Know any Buddy Guy?

I don't cop any of his stuff directly, but he's a huge influence on me for tone and feel. I suppose we'll have to use the KFO tourny rules so we'll still have finger to play with. I love harmony so the more vocalist the better. Long as we don't sound like "sing along withthe drunken a s s e s" from saturday night live.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Smile

We'll just have to save the drinking until AFTER practice. Well, at least most of it!