Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Cat calls' & Bruce Lee

Helicopter

Hee Hee, nice to hear someone as irritated as me!
    Also, it seems I have the same book as you mentioned. I just didn't think that section of the book was very well researched. Saying that "he was familiar with aspects of Chin Na but that he didn't study it" in the section mentioning his gung fu background was far out.

Someone know the name of the man who taught BL Hung Ga?

Chen Zhen

The book doesn't say the name of the guy that taught him Hung Gar. Just that, he was taught the "fundamentals" of the style by a friend of his dad's. If you watch, his old screen test which is featured on the new documentary, "Warrior's Journey", he does some animal techniques that look pretty Hung Gar-ish. Especially the tiger techniques. Pretty cool. (o:
    "We'll show him.....Chinese Boxing!"

I shave seen those clips too, but someone on the southern forum once said that what he called the "crane" form actually was the intro of a Jing Wu form. but I don't know if that is true.

From what I've seen, Bruce Lee's Wing Chun is the best - better than even Yip Man's in my opinion.

I studied Hung Ga, and the style does not have those high pitched screams. Their noises are guttural diaphragm-oriented belly growls that are designed to harden their abdominals for internal strengthening purposes.

Rather, I have heard that those who practice White Crane use those calls to imitate the sound of birds that attack. I don't recall Bruce Lee studying White Crane, but he did study Eagle Claw's "Jeet Kune" set before coming to America. However, Eagle Claw is an unrelated style.

Doubtless, Bruce Lee knew of White Crane's tendency to use that kind of sound. Though I didn't see Lee using White Crane in any of his movies, I'm sure he figured that such a sound would be very entertaining on a movie soundtrack regardless of its original usage.

sunstyling

S

sunstyling

So you are under Dr Lueng Ting ?

With your agressiveness I could tell you may be under some pro WT ,WC Vt organization like that . Thats fine as long as it helps you .

Now if the story 's are true or not from a magazine is not important. But you must remmeber when Bruce Trained witn WSL he was 16-17 years old when they trained 6 hours a day every day for a year and a half .

Later on when he was a man 31=32 they had met again and things where a bit different then before by WSL accounts .

Other then that both men where outstanding in what they did and they both have my utmost respect RIP both of them.

However lets just say what you say is true . How does knowing that help you ? Are you on WSL level ? Could you personally stand up to Bruce ? See Sunstyling someone could hide behind their sifu's or idiols but it comes down to really what you can do ...not you sigung sidai you get the idea.

So to me it's uninportant right now as both WSL and Bruce where good friends . They are both gone now. Both left their marks on the martial arts world .

But again whats the significance of this all ?

For me nothing as its about knowing yourself ...

So again how does this help you knowing this ?

There comes a time when an artists needs to stand on his /her own two feet and not the achomplishments of their teachers or idiols .

What can you do?

RF

Hung Ga Noises

There are 16 or 11 vocalisations (depending how you count them) in Hung Ga not all of them gutteral, I haven't done any of the forms that use them yet,but some of the emotional sounds I've seen demonstrated are similar to some of the noises B Lee used. eg: Sorrow and Joy. The 'Ho' of the crane is also in Hung Ga.

vingtsunstudent

Barry Lee wrote the article are you claiming you know more than your sifu?

firstly, yes i have heard both the stories as to the black eyes and the side kick one.
    i have also heard many more from my sifu and other teachers/seniors under barry.
    i would appreciate if you could post that article as i have never seen one written by barry that says things exactly like you have said, i could be wrong.
    there are a few things i could say here about letters i have heard about from bruce to wong and vice versa that showed what wong thought of bruce and his skills but unfortunately at the moment all this shit just bores me, much like your know it all attitude sunstylin.
    so who is your teacher, don't give me just letters, show some pride.
    you seem to know who my teacher is, so if your in sydney and know anyone from barry's schools, feel free to ask about me.
    my name is anthony c. from newcastle. perhaps one day we may get a chance to train together and do some chi sao, you may even get a chance to show me why your such a cocky and arrogant little bastard.

vts

by the way, i could never and would never even claim to know but about 1 percent of what my teacher does and the worst part in that is that i'm not exaggerating.
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

VTS.............

LOL...............=)

good post !

RF-

hey guys,
    i know this is probably a stupid question but who is wong sifu, or WSL or something...anyone can shed some light?

Hi Shaun ..

WSL is none other then Wong Shueng Leung or "crazy wong". WSL is a legend for his Wing Chun fighting skill /mastery and his countless wins in beimo matches . He was considered by many to be the king of street fighting over there in Hong kong in his prime.

He is world reknown in WC Gung fu circles . He was senior to both William cheung and Bruce Lee as well as Hawkins Chueng in Yip Mans Wing Chun Gung fu clan .

Bruce Lee and many of WSl juniors looked up to him for his fighting skill.

In fact Bruce Lee regarded WSL to him as the man he wanted to immulate in seattle .

Hope that helps .

RIP WSL.

RF-
    Last edited by Rafael; 09-06-2002 at 01:54 PM.

did wong sifu cross train in other martial arts?
    like did he learn ground combat?

oh sorry, one more thing

whats a beimo match?