Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 'Cat calls' & Bruce Lee

Shaun

From what I know about WSL, he had already 20 years of experience in Choy Lay Fut, Bak Mei and Dragon style kung fu when he met Yip Man. So yes, he knew some other styles than WC

sorry chen zhen
    but wong sifu didn't know those styles he was a ving tsun man and that is all. he did however have a love for boxing before starting wing chun.
    the only thing he seemed to know about the ground is that that is where his opponents finished up.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]

Well, then sorry to you vingtsunstudent!
    Maybe it's not the same man we're talking about. I read it in a recent post on the Wing Chun forum that he (WSL) studied those styles before going to WC.
    I can post the link to it here at another time.

It was Leung Sheung Leung that I referred to. I mistaked the names.They just look kinda similar on text.
    Sorry for bringing it off-topic

Re: Shaun

You are thinking of Leung Sheung, Yip Man's first student in Hong Kong.

Wong Shun Leung had a background in Boxing. It took a beat down from Yip Bo Ching to convert him to the Wing Chun style.
    From there it was all cake.

Originally posted by chen zhen
    From what I know about WSL, he had already 20 years of experience in Choy Lay Fut, Bak Mei and Dragon style kung fu when he met Yip Man. So yes, he knew some other styles than WC
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Alright, relax, I have already corrected myself.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Hung-Ga does make use of vocalizations, but nothing anywhere near Bruce Lee's screaming chicken. If you watch Green Hornet, he was already utilizing intense 'kiais'-for lack of a better term. Brenadan Lai-a Praying Mantis Sifu also has used the indentical sounds. You will see this in the video with Him,Doc Fai-Wong, Chan Pui, and Adam Hsu. His mannerisms, facial gestures, glares, etc all come from Chinese Opera, specifically the arched eyebrows and wide eyes and head snap-a standard. I had a friend who does opera and there is a name for that particular "face". It is taught and practiced. Even Jet Lei does it, as wu-shu performers are taught it to appear more fierce. Also, Jeet Kuen is a Jing-Mo set adapted into the Eagle Claw curriculum,as Lau Fat-Mang was an instructor at Jing-Mo.

Found some of the cat-calls to be a natural expression of emotion, I could relate in that context - emotional content. I would be surprised if he never did it in his off camera fighting - although in training his students I could see him leaving it out.

Dan Inosanto in his interviews over the years remarked that Bruce wanted to be the best - to be the best he had to first be better than his Wing Chun seniors like WSL, who he always thought of as 'one of the best'. Bruce was kicked out of Yip's school despite the fact that Yip liked Bruce - later Bruce would train with WSL - the eldest brother in Yip's school (Dai Si Hing). He never had the chance to get up to advanced level training in WC according to WSL. Without the complete system - according to Dan he had to 'fill in the gaps' - this meant using whatever he could from wherever. Although he combed through loads of martial material he advised (absorb what is useful) and he did advise a daily reduction of content.

Ultimately, he applied WC concepts to his study - use of Centerline, economy of motion, application of Wing Chun structure and he filled in the gaps with what he found useful. Sadly he died before his JKD could be fully tested to see if it had allowed him to reach his goal of being the best in the family.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

WSL got beat down by that Yip Bo Ching guy? wow

-cha kuen
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sort=3&rows=25

Cool vingtsunstudent

you may call me Sean and the Government pays for my private lessons with L.T ( Leung Ting ), you know who that is since your from Newcastle!!! That is all I can say but if your up for some friendly chi sao then I can perhaps give you a number to call and you can find out why I'm such a ****y and arrogant little *******. LOL
    Its not only skill but what you know or who you know , and how you know them in todays society.
    Patrick.

''you may call me Sean and the Government pays for my private lessons with L.T ( Leung Ting )''
    so when did leung ting move to australia? and what do you mean that the gov. pays? what are you a dole bludger.
    please don't tell me your some sort of special agent, because if you are you forgot to add that to all your other accomplishments on your profile.
    you're full of it, look at the other thing you typed, call me sean and sign it patrick(so which one is it or is that like your secret government alias)
    all you've done you gutless little prick since you first appeared on these forums is bad mouth people and make challenges.
    like i said if you want to know about me and whether i have anything go find barry's schools in sydney and try your luck.
    then if you still wish to find me and try my chi sao just holla. i'm not wasting my time and effort on some bogas phone no. or travelling all the way to sydney on a wanker like you.
    until then shut the fuk up with all your bs, besides that if you are so knowledgable on these wing chun matters then how come we never see you posting and offering your undoubted amount of knowledge on this stystem on the wing chun forum, surely a great mind like yours, who is having private lessons with the grandmaster himself, must have a vast knowledge of the finer technicalities that are discussed over there and should be able to set us all on the right path,.
    so again i ask which one are you full of $hit or full of $hit?
    get a life and grow up little boy.
    vts
    [disclaimer- i am about to be rude, antagonistic & terribly offensive- but i love ya's all]