Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: for the Aussies

OT: for the Aussies

Have any of you seen/driven/heard anything about a car called the Holden Monaro? Pontiac is bringing this car here as the new GTO and I kind of like it.
    Your intelligence is surpassed only by your ignorance.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

I saw the ads on tv last time I was in Sydney. "The Monaro is back. Game over!"

Looks like a nice car.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

ewallace,

Seen a lot of them on the road.
    They are pretty popular over here.

Try this link - Holden's Monaro page.

There's been a lotta talk about the GTO release. Apparently, they are still modifying the body shape for the American market. Seems you boys like your cars to look a bit different to us Aussie boys.
    Adam Stanecki - Practitioner of common sense.

"Think for yourself. Question authority." - Timothy Leary

Fluid Fitness - www.fluidfitness.com.au
    Dominance Mixed Martial Arts - www.dominance.com.au

That's a **** shame too. I like the car but NOT as the pontiac GTO. That car is an American Classic and should not be insulted this way. I looked at that holden site before I posted this to see if anyone had any more information.

You are more likely to fall down the stairs and break your neck if you live in a house with stairs. You are more likely to be in a car accident if you drive to work. You are more likely to be kicked in the nuts or punched in the nose if you practicing the martial arts. - Judge Pen

ew,

I'm not very familiar with the GTO's history.

But the Monaro has just been revived. Holden stopped production in the 70s or 80s. It was a cult classic. This one is just an attempt to get a chunk of the coupe market. It isn't gonna compete with the rice rockets. To fuel hungry etc. The ad has is passing Porshes and Audis blah blah blah...as if!

I am surprised that they would consider releasing it - even re-modelled - as the new GTO. There has been a heap of push-back. Car mags out here are writing about it all the time.

Subaru WRX for me any day babeee...

when the lights turn green I'm off like a slingshot while your fat Monaro ass is busy smoking up the rears with you screaming '****, I can't get the power to the ground!!'

Turbo 4WD is superior
    "Try to use that one legged crane stance when 50 sumo wrestlers are all around you, and then your going to get sumoed." - Ralek

Talking ewallace

I miss my 66 GTO. Wish I never sold it. Silver with white vinyl top and white leather interior. 428 block with a muncie 4 speed. Pass everything but the gas station.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

Sticky,

Your's an STi? Now, those bad boys fly.

The WRX is a work of art, but far too common these days.

Holden Monaros were and still are huge over in Australia they were in direct competition with the Ford Falcons. They have a race ove here called the Bathurst 1000 and those two types of cars dominated it to the point where the govt had to put a stop to it around 76-78 as the cars were getting too fast. The Ford Falcon XY Phase3 was the fastest standard production car ever made and the monaro's were not far from it so the govt introduced the pollution laws and banned/bribed Ford not to make the phase 4 (which only about 5 were made) (they had to sell at least 500 to race in Bathurst). The monaro is a classic with a huge following and I hope that this new car can live up to the same.
    "Yeah baby of course it real, it's all me all 12 inches of Grogan!"
    "No baby that's not a Handy Cam mounted to the ceiling, that's my new fangled smoke detector".

Don't get me started on the ricers. You really think it's a coincedence that when you pronounce wrx it is wrecks? The WS6 I sold two weeks ago smoked the living shit out of those things. Turbo is crap. It will eat your motor before 100K. The dad of one of my buddies had a 300Z twin turbo. Bad ass car but he had to replace the motor after 70K miles.

I won't even start on the civics with the fart can exhaust, rediculous tin foil wings (on FRONT WHEEL DRIVE cars), and the weak primer grey body kits. Don't get me wrong I like foreign cars, but there is a reason it is sold as an ECONOMY car.

And FYI Stickey Fingers, the monaro, if brought here, will have a 350 HP LS1 V8. That is what they put in the corvettes here. A stock vette has a 0-60 (mph) time of around 4.6 seconds. The wrecks is 5.7. Thats a full second difference.

Ok the corvette may have an on paper great 0-60 time but who can do it in the real world? you spend 10 seconds spinning your wheels and how fast can you corner?

Apart from light British sports cars im in the subaru camp here.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

If you know how to drive right you don't burn up much rubber unless the streets are cold and so are your tires. In that case your engine is probably cold too. Not good. My ws6 trans am was rated at around 5.4 | 0-60 mph bone stock. I only modified the exhaust and air filter. My friend timed me at 5.1 on the street, not the track.

I've got a co-worker that just bought a 2002 corvette zo6. This model is rated at just about 4 seconds flat 0-60. Believe me this ****ing car is as agile as any import. You don't pay $50,000 USD for a car that is just fast in a straight line. There is also plenty of traction control that is overidable at a touch of a button.

In a street race, if you do it right and are not stupid about it, races don't last for more than about 5 seconds. Someone pulls ahead and you stop. Everyone lives. Never race on the highway or when you are already moving. That is where the vast majoriy of fatalities occur.

I really don't mind the wrx because it is made for performance. But these little civics and integras are like little ****ing mosquitos buzzing around your head. Especially when they come up next to you and rev their little fart can at you trying to start a race. It's like me trying to start a race with a Lamborghini (which I did once and got my ass smoked). I was just outclassed.

I drive a volvo. It's an '83. It weighs like 700 pounds more than other cars it's size. It's maroon and oxidized, and the window cranks all fell off. I could turn on the air conditioner, but it makes this wicked gurgling sound when I do. I blew out a speaker a couple months ago, and now I know the right side of all the popular songs. For instance, one Doobie brothers song goes:

"Hand
    Hand
    with you all night long
    [long silence]
    Hand
    Hand
    with you all night long"

Even when I hear the song on two speakers, that's all I hear.

The only accident I've been in with it was on an icy road. It was another maroon oxidized twenty year old volvo, same model. When we hit, we were going a blistering one mile an hour, head on combined speed. I think we were both hoping for more damage, but there was nothing. Saddest accident I've ever seen.

And yet, two weeks ago, someone in a new mustang pulled up to a stop light and tried to get me to race.

This has nothing to do with australia, I apologize.

I suppose this could happen in Australia, too.

The nice thing about volvos is you don't have to do much with them. You don't even have to keep them neat, as you're not getting any in your car, unless you find some chick who's into the married resigned to his fate kind of guy. If you do, could you give her my email address?

Better not, my wife might need the car.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons