Thread: Myth of the Military

Myth of the Military

Anyone ever heard of this? People like to think that if they join the armed forces they will become superhuman fighters/supersmart, whatever. AND if someone is a member of the "dreaded" marine corps or is a "Navy SEAl" then they have even more super powers. Let's be realistic here. If someone is a bad a$$, they would've been no matter what training they had. The military doesnt do anything super for u. Some marines I've talked to said they learned a lot of fighting stuff and others have said they didnt learn d!ck in the marines.
    I do not racism against Chinese people.*

Well, in the Military you are taught to kill other people in a efficient disciplined manner, something most civilians, no matter if they are street fighters or MMA or what, do not do.

Also remember, although you may be taught to fight in the military, most of the time military people use weapons likes guns, cruise missiles, rockets, grenades, etc.

And I really doubt that unless you are originally a superhuman, that any person not trained in the military would hold up well in a modern combat (battlefield) situation. Smoke, explosions, gunfire, a gauntlet of things that kill who ever happens to be around to get killed.

Give them some credit.
    strike!

Slightly OT

I had to post this somewhere....

Border patrol between China and Russia staffed by… scarecrows?
    Scott Wilson
    2 days ago

We all know that scarecrows can be terrifying. but are they really scary enough to keep humans at bay? Well apparently in Russia, scarecrows scare you!

On the border between China and Russia, stuffed scarecrows man the border patrol guard towers. Is this a case of budget failure, laziness, or just a joke gone hay-wire? Read on to find out!

To begin to find out the answer we first have to talk about the Amur Bridge Project. It’s a bridge-construction project funded and carried out by both China and Russia, and has been going on since 2007.

The plan was to have a bridge connecting China’s northeastern Tongjiang City in Heilongjiang Province with the village of Nizhneleninskoye in Russia, but due to delays its completion date has been pushed back until 2016 or later.

Most of the delays have come from the Russian side. As of last year most of the bridge’s construction on the Chinese side was complete, but hardly anything has been done in Russia, leaving the completion date even further in doubt.

Just to make matters worse, it doesn’t seem like Russia is taking the border between itself and China seriously at all at this point. On August 24, the Chinese newspaper Global Times reported that there were sightings of a “scarecrow” on the Russian side of border security by the bridge construction site.

Take a look at the pictures for yourself:

▼ Wow, look at that dutiful guard up day and night protecting his country.

▼ He hasn’t moved in an awfully long time. And he looks super pale; I wonder if he’s okay.

▼ Oh you’ve got to be kidding me!

Is having a scarecrow guard proof of bridge budget money being siphoned to the wrong people? Or is it just a way for the guards to sneak off for a bit of fun and hopefully not get caught?

The answer is still unclear, but when the news about the scarecrow got out to Chinese netizens, they had a lot to say about it:

“It’s probably because China poses no threat to them at all.”
    “I guess in a way it’s a beautiful symbol of the peaceful times we live in.”
    “They are way too trusting of China. What if something actually happened?”
    “Nah, even a scarecrow guard would still stop our army in its tracks.”
    “Are they making fun of us?”
    “Don’t jump to conclusions guys. Maybe it’s some sort of ‘high tech’ scarecrow?”

So what do you think? Are scarecrows the border patrol security of the future? Or the money-laundering border patrol security of the now?

Source: Phoenix New Media Limited via Toychan, Wikipedia
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Military training is very generalized and it is oriented towards firearms.
    He get far better small arms / edged/ impact/ weapons training and empty hand training in a high quality MA club.

Spec Ops personnel spend most of t heir time training for unconventional warfare, firearms and explosives then they ever do H2H.
    The guys that train the spec ops community are civilian contractors who are hires to train and qualify the military personnel that will become instructors for the rank and file.
    Some Spec Ops people train on their own time in things like edge and impact weapons and H2H.

In short, the view that military ( especially special forces people) are elite killing machines is correct BUT only in regards to unconventional group warfare with weapons.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I had to post this somewhere....
    I'll see your one Russian scare crow and raise you one whole North Korean City.

Kijong-dong <-- Link

Korea's Propaganda Ghost Town <-- Link

MightyB FTW

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I'll see your one Russian scare crow and raise you one whole North Korean City.
    Wow. That's just dumbfounding.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by fgxpanzerz View Post
    Anyone ever heard of this? People like to think that if they join the armed forces they will become superhuman fighters/supersmart, whatever. AND if someone is a member of the "dreaded" marine corps or is a "Navy SEAl" then they have even more super powers. Let's be realistic here. If someone is a bad a$$, they would've been no matter what training they had. The military doesnt do anything super for u. Some marines I've talked to said they learned a lot of fighting stuff and others have said they didnt learn d!ck in the marines.
    It depends on your MOS (Military Occupational Specialty}
    If you are a cook then, of course you will have a different curriculum than say 0311 [you can use your goggle-fu), 0324, 02, etc
    You can also google the MCMAP USMC Martial Arts Programme, where said curriculum is now more standardized and there is even a special MOS (numerical designation) noting its increased significance.

Quote Originally Posted by fgxpanzerz View Post
    The military will give you instruction on how to be a soldier. Side effects include personal discipline, how to make a bed, how to strip a rifle, how to bayonette a mafa, how to crawl under wires, how to drive, how to do all sorts of useful things provided you take the course or get slotted to a special unit.

Being a bad ass? I don't think that's even in the recruitment material is it?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've never met a real combat veteran that claimed to be a bad a$$. Often if they did mention anything (and that's a big "if" because most combat veterans don't talk), it was quite the opposite.

I agree that there is a small percentage of guys that are born badasses. The Military regardless the branch can and does create killers. Empty hand focus has always been low on the agenda and for good reason. If you are unarmed and your enemy is not. You die !!! Currently they do teach essentially a mixed martial arts program in all the branches I believe. Generally this is not mandatory beyond learning the basics. Some go on and are very good at it.

Also, the camp commander decides what is mandatory or not. On some caps you may very well have to show up x amount of hours for whatever H2H he deems needed. He himself is probably a martial arts junky. If you hate it, life sucks for you because you may be on that base for the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    I've never met a real combat veteran that claimed to be a bad a$$. Often if they did mention anything (and that's a big "if" because most combat veterans don't talk), it was quite the opposite.
    This has generally been my experience with the real combat veterans I've met as well, including several ex-marines. If they spoke at all about their experiences, which was rare, it was very matter-of-fact and brief. And in a few cases, very emotional. No embellished stories of cinematic superhuman feats. One of my older cousins, who's also a 3rd-generation Japanese-American, was drafted and fought in the Vietnam war, and he does NOT discuss that period of his life. And personally, I've never asked anyone to talk about their experiences. Any stories I've heard were in situations where they voluntarily opened up about it.

Smile

If one is not a fighter to begin with, military training is unlikely to turn him out to become one. But if one is a fighter to begin with, military training will likely turn him out to become a superhuman fighter.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong